• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found that even with extra ballast in the chassis, the Atom slides around too easily when (un)plugging headphones. Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but the stock rubber feet have a convex surface with very little contact patch, so I added some flat rubber feet with a good contact patch and the sliding around problem is solved. Much improved user experience!

D

Deleted member 12179

Veri

Master Contributor
Those are 192$ when included shipping and conversion to euros... Is there anything on aliexpress for 192$ better than atom? How does the JDS Atom compares with the new topping A50 headphone amp?

I´m looking for some amp to match with my khadas... something on the low budget, around 100$...
Magni Heresy?

D

Deleted member 12179

Magni Heresy?

That's a good one, at 130€ + shipping, so 150€... that's 165$. Gonna match it to a khadas, im starting, need to buy decent headphones... Anything cheaper and decent out there or should I just spend the bucks in the heresy?

Veri

Master Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found that even with extra ballast in the chassis, the Atom slides around too easily when (un)plugging headphones. Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but the stock rubber feet have a convex surface with very little contact patch, so I added some flat rubber feet with a good contact patch and the sliding around problem is solved. Much improved user experience!
Now that's more useful than rolling op amps. Thanks for the heads up!

Gradius

I will get this amp, but then I will be forced to perform a simple mod since I hate the idea to plug in/out my HD650 every time I want to listen the speakers.

I wonder why they didn't added a switcher just for that (to switch between headphones and speakers).

Edit: Lifetime insertion is also a problem. Just 1000 times at best (under 2 years, if you do 2x insertions per day. Under 3 years @ 1x). Ref.: Neutrik NYS215

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could use a Little Bear MC2 preamp (35$) just before.
It has a volume control and an RCA/XLR switcher.
Feed your speaker with one output and the Atom with the other. And keep your phones in forever.

Gradius

You could use a Little Bear MC2 preamp (35$) just before.
It has a volume control and an RCA/XLR switcher.
Feed your speaker with one output and the Atom with the other. And keep your phones in forever.

Yeah, I saw that:
yzTnAED.jpg

Very simple little toy. Found it for $30 bucks.

However a switcher + 1 resistor + 1 capacitor + some work, would cost me just $2. ;)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Yeah, I saw that:
yzTnAED.jpg

Very simple little toy. Found it for $30 bucks.

However a switcher + 1 resistor + 1 capacitor + some work, would cost me just $2. ;)

The beauty of the above is that you can actually pair it up with a stepped relay volume controller with remote or just a motorized volume pot with some DIY tweaking.

Gradius

Last edited:

Budgeter

Can anyone who own DT 770, 880, 990 (250-600 ohm) help me answer this? At what knob position do you have decent, comfortable volume (low gain, 2VRms input - E.g: Topping D10 at max volume) when listening to Youtube clip in general?
Since Amir has enough volume with 650 at 11 - 12 'o clock, I guess it would be around that too.

DLS79

Forum Donor
At what knob position do you have decent, comfortable volume (low gain, 2VRms input - E.g: Topping D10 at max volume) when listening to Youtube clip in general?

You should specify a specific video, as YouTube doesn't force loudness normalization on videos and thus volume levels are all over the place.

Budgeter

You should specify a specific video, as YouTube doesn't force loudness normalization on videos and thus volume levels are all over the place.
I realize it, that's why I put the term "in general" there, but I guess it is a bit vague as you said so please take the videos below as reference.
Note 1: Any version of the headphones is fine, but they have to be either 250 or 600 ohms.
Note 2: Volume on Youtube is set at maximum.
Note 3: I'm taking about the volume of Atom amp only.
Note 4: No EQ applied.

Last edited:

yigitboy

Sennheiser Hd250 ( 300Ohm ) slightly above 10. For Techno style music 11-12 High gain of course

Last edited:

Irrenarzt

Some folks have mentioned replacing the feet with a more flat and "sticky" foot. I have done so using a polyurethane one from McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/95495k721 These work well and are fairly cheap, which stays within the ethos of this 100 dollar plastic amplifier. Hell, shipping is probably more than the feet themselves. The amp sits a touch higher with these feet, but the amp doesn't slide around any longer like it did with the OEM feet. I still have to hold the amp down when I insert or remove the headphone jack, but that's more a function of the mass of the amp I would say. The damn thing is feather light.

Last edited:
Top Bottom