• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

jseaber

Audio Company
did you discuss the problem of channel unbalance, is o2 less unbalanced at a low volume level? (up to 9 hours)

@landco - There is no difference in behavior between an Alps RK097 installed in an O2 and an Alps RK097 installed in an Atom. Others have answered this topic accurately in the past few pages. The expected useful range of a 9mm pot is about -30dBFS to 0dBFS.

We have tried equivalent pots from other manufactures like Bourns, Panasonic, and various Chinese OEMs. Alps has the best balance, best taper, and best physical feel. We could save money by choosing another brand, but we pay for Alps parts.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does this imbalance affect only this part? Alps RK097 potentiometer? Or are there other details affecting?

Gain is also a factor as the higher the gain is the more one needs to go below 9:00 setting to play at lower volumes with sensitive IEMs.
The Atom wins in low gain mode (1x gain) where the 'standard' O2 is 2.5x gain so the Atom will be at a slightly higher volpot position thus less imbalance unless the potmeter in the O2 happens to have less imbalance by chance.
Of course, the 02 can also be ordered with 1x gain in which case they will be similar in imbalance when the exact same potmeter is used.

Assuming gain determining components (resistors) are low in tolerance, the differences there are not volpot position dependent though, the imbalance caused by resistors will be max. 0.2dB or so.

landco

I can not understand if I have a computer with a built-in sound card, do I need ODAC? Or is the O2 amplifier enough, without a DAC? I mean - without sacrificing sound quality?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can not understand if I have a computer with a built-in sound card, do I need ODAC? Or is the O2 amplifier enough, without a DAC? I mean - without sacrificing sound quality?
You may or may not. Without measuring your computer, we are in the dark as to how good it is. You may want to experiment with a DAC you can return if it doesn't improve things for you. Objectively, the DACs that I recommend easily outperform what is built into computers.

landco

VEBJWZBdahE.jpg

can you make such a design for O2? I like him more than modern

solderdude

Grand Contributor
can you make such a design for O2?

I don't think JDS can change much about the design of the O2 as @jseaber explained below.

The design license disallowed changes to permit high speed assembly. Consequently, O2 has always been costly to assemble because it requires substantial manual labor. Every part is hand placed and hand soldered.

I like him more than modern

Can you clarify what you mean ?
Who (or what) is meant with 'him' and what do you mean with 'modern'
I suppose there should be a picture there clarifying things but it does not show.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It still doesn't clarify what you were asking.

You ask... 'can you make such a design for O2' but the displayed amp is the O2.
When you said: 'I like him more than modern' did you mean the O2 being 'him' and the Atom as 'more modern' ?

Did you mean: can you design the Atom in similar looks as the O2 ?

MrC

It still doesn't clarify what you were asking.

You ask... 'can you make such a design for O2' but the displayed amp is the O2.
When you said: 'I like him more than modern' did you mean the O2 being 'him' and the Atom as 'more modern' ?

Did you mean: can you design the Atom in similar looks as the O2 ?

I think landco is asking if he can get the O2 in that colour and layout rather than the more modern edition.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This is currently available from JDS (in silver and black):

2019-02-05.22-54-07.o2-silver-front-head-on.jpg

just not with the light-blue sockets nor the old logo and with sunken screws and a different volume knob.

Last edited:

landco

You may or may not. Without measuring your computer, we are in the dark as to how good it is. You may want to experiment with a DAC you can return if it doesn't improve things for you. Objectively, the DACs that I recommend easily outperform what is built into computers.

VIA VT2021 sound codec

snowsurfer

Does anyone know where these can be bought in EU with the correct power supply below 160€? This is the only place where I can find it (UK stores won't do because the connector on the adapter will not be the correct one and I do not want to use adaptors). 160€ + shipping from Germany seems a bit steep, will end up being double it's US 99 bucks price... :/

MrC

Does anyone know where these can be bought in EU with the correct power supply below 160€? This is the only place where I can find it (UK stores won't do because the connector on the adapter will not be the correct one and I do not want to use adaptors). 160€ + shipping from Germany seems a bit steep, will end up being double it's US 99 bucks price... :/

You can order it direct from JDS with the correct PSU but by the time you pay shipping and import it works out the same as from Germany.

Veri

Master Contributor
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/jds-labs-atom-headphone-amplifier.html
109.99GBP. Their last stock is already sold out but they should have new ones on order.

Veri

Master Contributor
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2-odac-rev-b/ - Tell me, please, this is the original amplifier + DAC, which developed nwavguy? Or was something changed? It says "Revision B", so I doubt :-(
The parts market has changed since nwavguy's design. It isn't really feasible to make an exact O2/ODAC in 2019.
You can look for older units if you really must have the originals.

Top Bottom