• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

JohsonChou

Only thing I don't like about this amp is the volume control. I wish there is a seperate power swtich. I bet a volume pot without power switch would probably has better channel balance at low volume.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
From what I understand here, @300 ohm the O2 clips at 0.11 watts with THD+N of ~0.0015%, whereas JDS Atom does not clip till 0.25 watts with THD+N of 0.0005%.
TL;DR JDS Atom has much lower noise and much more clean power.
This is very clean power man.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
This or the DX3 Pro for HD6xx ( I live in Asia so the Atom will probably cost around 150$ as the distributor sells the O2 amp for 150$ in my country ) but I can order the DX3 pro directly from Aliexpress. TY :)
I'd go with both and make a stack out of them. Awesome DAC/AMP combo for $300.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
or Khadas Tone Board and Atom combo for less than $200.
The Khadas is technically a great DAC for sure, esp for the money, but too spartan for me. I love the features on the DX3. Plus getting a case etc. for it is a hassle, unless one is a hobbyist.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or get the Topping D10, or the SMSL Sanskrit 10th, both under $100 and are both very capable with the Atom.

ngs428

The Khadas is technically a great DAC for sure, esp for the money, but too spartan for me. I love the features on the DX3. Plus getting a case etc. for it is a hassle, unless one is a hobbyist.

Have they fixed the shutdown issues on the DX3 yet? I returned mine and went with the tone board/Atom and am very happy.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Have they fixed the shutdown issues on the DX3 yet? I returned mine and went with the tone board/Atom and am very happy.
Shutdown issues? I've had my DX3 for a week, and haven't notice any issues. It does seem to have an auto power off when its not being used, but I think this is part of the normal settings.

ngs428

Last edited:

Chiv

Is there some kind of adapter or so to toggle between headphone / preamp without unplugging the headphones? Would be kind of neat

Ruskia

Another random observation: are the RCA jacks on these oddly loose or is it just me (both in and out)? Gonna go buy new cables because mine are just sliding out every few days.

milw50717

Another random observation: are the RCA jacks on these oddly loose or is it just me (both in and out)? Gonna go buy new cables because mine are just sliding out every few days.

The RCAs on mine are firmly affixed to the PCB. If you mean that the male RCA connector on the cable is loose on the female connector on the Atom, then try crimping the blades on the male to make them fit more tightly.

Ruskia

The RCAs on mine are firmly affixed to the PCB. If you mean that the male RCA connector on the cable is loose on the female connector on the Atom, then try crimping the blades on the male to make them fit more tightly.
That's what I meant yeah. Thanks, will try.

nyxnyxnyx

I'm sorry for this rather odd outlook but is Atom supposed to be excellent within the sub 500$ price range? As the measurements have shown that it can outperform an amp twice more expensive , or even further .
I got one for myself and i can say that it sounds clean , and gives more than enough power to drive my cans but that's it . I'm not really impressed or blown out at all , is there something i am missing out?

Atom is the first amp i own by the way , and i am pairing it with OL DAC .

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe we set your expectations too high. :) What headphones do you have? The Atom does everything you need as far as power and transparency. The only reason to get something else would be to have other features, not better sound.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry for this rather odd outlook but is Atom supposed to be excellent within the sub 500$ price range? As the measurements have shown that it can outperform an amp twice more expensive , or even further .
I got one for myself and i can say that it sounds clean , and gives more than enough power to drive my cans but that's it . I'm not really impressed or blown out at all , is there something i am missing out?

Atom is the first amp i own by the way , and i am pairing it with OL DAC .

Perhaps you would prefer electronics that produce audible distortion, or perhaps you don't like the sound of your headphones or recordings so much (since, assuming you have a decent DAC, the headphones and the music are all you could be hearing).

ngs428

My monoprice cable I bought on the JDS website is a bit loose too. It won’t come out on its own unless I start moving the unit.

milw50717

You want a reasonably tight fit for the RCA cables. I hold my amp when removing or attaching cables.

The thin circular blades on the male RCA plug can be adjusted by gently crimping in or bending out.

nyxnyxnyx

Maybe we set your expectations too high. :) What headphones do you have? The Atom does everything you need as far as power and transparency. The only reason to get something else would be to have other features, not better sound.
I'm using DT990 Pro at the moment , i also have a HD 6XX but my friend is borrowing it so i may give it a try soon . I don't have much knowledge about measurements and technical aspects so i only rate something with my own experience . As far as sound quality goes is there a huge or very noticeable difference if i switch from Atom to let say a ~1000$ amp? ( small example : audiogd nfb )

Perhaps you would prefer electronics that produce audible distortion, or perhaps you don't like the sound of your headphones or recordings so much (since, assuming you have a decent DAC, the headphones and the music are all you could be hearing).
I guess that could be the case , my DT990 sounds much more impactful and a bit harsher than my taste when i plug it in Atom , but since i know Atom is not a colorful amp the only explaination left is this is what those headphones sound like , i guess i'm gonna borrow a few other headphones to test with Atom so i can have a clearer answer .

Btw , i am bugged with a question : Is there a point in buying very expensive amplifiers ( maybe from 1000$ and above ) if you only aim for sound quality? Because measurement-wise Atom is already so good and according to many people it is doing a good job of what an amp should be doing , and it is only 100$ .

jasonq997

Forum Donor
I'm using DT990 Pro at the moment , i also have a HD 6XX but my friend is borrowing it so i may give it a try soon . I don't have much knowledge about measurements and technical aspects so i only rate something with my own experience . As far as sound quality goes is there a huge or very noticeable difference if i switch from Atom to let say a ~1000$ amp? ( small example : audiogd nfb )

I guess that could be the case , my DT990 sounds much more impactful and a bit harsher than my taste when i plug it in Atom , but since i know Atom is not a colorful amp the only explaination left is this is what those headphones sound like , i guess i'm gonna borrow a few other headphones to test with Atom so i can have a clearer answer .

Btw , i am bugged with a question : Is there a point in buying very expensive amplifiers ( maybe from 1000$ and above ) if you only aim for sound quality? Because measurement-wise Atom is already so good and according to many people it is doing a good job of what an amp should be doing , and it is only 100$ .

There are people out there who have fun seeking "synergy" between amplifiers/dacs and headphones. It is likely that this is a mix of placebo effect and/or a genuine preference for noise and distortion. The Atom seems to have all of the clean power needed for most headphone enthusiasts. I can see people (including myself) wanting something this clean, but with more power, and with old school hifi build quality. I would pay for that.

Top Bottom