• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

landco

The parts market has changed since nwavguy's design. It isn't really feasible to make an exact O2/ODAC in 2019.
You can look for older units if you really must have the originals.
so like the license can not change anything? :oops::rolleyes: and what exactly changed?

landco

https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2-odac-rev-b/ - On the product page at the bottom there is a note to the ASIO drivers, which is preferable not to use them, and it is better to use Windows drivers. Is this about Wasapi Exclusive mode? But he is worse than ASIO. ASIO allows you to play several sources, and Wasapi Exclusive - only one. :rolleyes:

chrome_2019-05-09_15-07-38.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2-odac-rev-b/ - On the product page at the bottom there is a note to the ASIO drivers, which is preferable not to use them, and it is better to use Windows drivers. Is this about Wasapi Exclusive mode? But he is worse than ASIO. ASIO allows you to play several sources, and Wasapi Exclusive - only one. :rolleyes:

View attachment 25942
You can use the most recent driver, like on the EL DAC page. If you need ASIO. It is no problem. Also, if you contact JDS Labs support they usually answer very, very quickly.

so like the license can not change anything? :oops::rolleyes: and what exactly changed?
ODAC vs ODAC rev B
https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/05/releasing-odac-revb/

ODAC rev B vs OL DAC
https://blog.jdslabs.com/2017/04/odac-vs-ol-dac/

snowsurfer

Oh I see :) personally I'd rather use a little adapter and pay 109.99GBP, than get the EU adapter and pay 160EUR.
I think I'll heed the wise suggestion, it is never late to change one's ways! Thanks both of you for chiming in! I'm just back from a long (but successful) hunt for USB/ground loop noise to my SU-8 so might still be a tad too paranoid :D

Reactions: MrC

MrC

I think I'll heed the wise suggestion, it is never late to change one's ways! Thanks both of you for chiming in! I'm just back from a long (but successful) hunt for USB/ground loop noise to my SU-8 so might still be a tad too paranoid :D

No need to be worried about UK to EU adapters, no transformation involved just simple adaptation ;)

landco

chrome_2019-05-10_15-10-12.jpg

Oops! This page does not exist or is hidden from public viewing.

How do Russian-speaking audiophile sites react to comments that mention Objective2 and ODAC :D

JohsonChou

I sold my THX 789 and bought this, using with the khadas tone board. Spent less than $200 for a pretty much top-of-line setup.
I sold my THX 789 for $650... I spent like $350. I feel bad.

landco

How does the Preamplifier function work? How can I understand that my active speakers will work well with Atom?

Ruskia

Without having done too much research on this amp before I bought it, I found it very odd that the volume knob controls the preamp output as well. Is this common? Never seen it before.

milw50717

Without having done too much research on this amp before I bought it, I found it very odd that the volume knob controls the preamp output as well. Is this common? Never seen it before.

Quite normal, especially when you don't have an integrated amp. If you think of the amplifier as a box that has an on/off switch one set of RCAs for input and a set of speaker connections. It's sole purpose is to amplify the line level input on the RCAs and to drive the speakers. The preamp sits in front of the power amp and acts as a source selector, boosting the inputs to suitable level where needed (think turntable input), and it is generally where things such as tone, balance and volume can be adjusted.

milw50717

How does the Preamplifier function work? How can I understand that my active speakers will work well with Atom?

Page 4 of the manual has some information.

You connect your source(s) to the RCA and/or 3.5mm inputs, and you use the RCA outputs to connect to your active speakers. With the power off to the amp you turn the volume knob all the way down and use the low gain setting. You should then be able to power on the amp and use its volume knob and input selector.

Top Bottom