• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome Modulus-286 Amp

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for your input. I will keep your communication preferences in mind. However, this is Amir's forum, so I will let him moderate it as he sees fit. Should he take issue with my posts, I'm sure he'll let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

archerious

There are so many brands/companies selling completed/assembled Hypex NC.

Anyone know of a company assembling Modulus-286?

archerious

misterdog

Tom's yer man then if you are in the US. Or ask on Audio DIY, someone will build for you. I'm a cabinet maker and built some, the pre populated boards make life easy, and Tom will guide you .
Really happy. Tom also tremendously supportive (patient too!) with constant replies to to my daft ignorant questions....

A member of our local UK forum built a 686 after deliberating over the cost.. He said.

The bass is massively tighter than my Quad QSP but what is most noticeable is the clarity, transparency and the sheer attack from drums, etc. I never thought my Harbs could sound this punchy.

The first proper power amp I have ever built and I have to say the best one I've ever heard.

Astonishing! I don't think I would've got anything like this in the regular market, even used.

Chuffed!

I reckon all in it was around £1500 which seems a lot, but this blows away a SN3, 250dr , all the class D's I've heard and my Quad QSP. I reckon it beats my mates Linn Klimax too.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/variac-needed-for-first-switch-on.244779/

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm happy to build one for you. Do beware that custom builds at QTY = 1 tend to be expensive.

Tom

manisandher

With all the buzz surrounding the Topping LA90 (and quite rightly!), I just wanted to give a shout out to Neurochrome. I've been using these in both my active systems for a year now, and have to say that they are truly brilliant, and really should be on anyone's list when looking for a new amp.

That's all!

Mani.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for the nod.

Tom

groovybassist

Forum Donor
With all the buzz surrounding the Topping LA90 (and quite rightly!), I just wanted to give a shout out to Neurochrome. I've been using these in both my active systems for a year now, and have to say that they are truly brilliant, and really should be on anyone's list when looking for a new amp.

That's all!

Mani.
Wholeheartedly agree - the Modulus-286 is serving me well.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's all!

Mani.
Yes, for sure. @tomchr does all this make you at all interested in offering complete assembled products? Has anyone approached you to build under license?

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm more than happy to build a Modulus-286 for you. In fact, I have it available here: https://neurochrome.com/products/stereo-modulus-286
I'm also happy to license the circuit to you so you can build the amps commercially. I do get the occasional OEM approach, but so far they've balked at the parts cost.

Building the Modulus-286 on a larger scale would require some tweaks to the mechanical aspects of the circuit. Basically there's too much manual labour in the current build for it to be possible to build the amps economically on more than a onesie-twosie kind of scale. Also, a commercial version would ideally be in a custom chassis for custom branding/design language. The commercial version would also need to be a bit different from the DIY version. Otherwise people will start comparing the commercial product against the DIY offerings. Anyway. Long story short. It's quite an undertaking but it is something I think about periodically. I do have TCA going for exactly that: www.tomchr.com

That said, I'm not getting a lot of traction with TCA. It's a crowded market and it's hard to break through. Then again, I don't do much beyond posting here and attending trade shows, so I could certainly do more marketing. But Neurochrome (my DIY brand) has really taken off the past few years and I'm picking up more consulting gigs, so I'm beginning to wonder if I honestly have enough time in my life for TCA. Then again, again, I'm not sure TCA would require that much time once I got it going. At least not at the scale I'm after. I would be quite happy with 10-20 orders/month. That's not that hard to sustain. Getting to that point is a challenge, though.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time in my life that's happened. I'm sure you're all completely shocked to hear this. :)

Anyway. This was a very longwinded answer to a pretty simple question. Sometimes it helps me to write these things out.

Tom

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more than happy to build a Modulus-286 for you. In fact, I have it available here: https://neurochrome.com/products/stereo-modulus-286
I'm also happy to license the circuit to you so you can build the amps commercially. I do get the occasional OEM approach, but so far they've balked at the parts cost.

Building the Modulus-286 on a larger scale would require some tweaks to the mechanical aspects of the circuit. Basically there's too much manual labour in the current build for it to be possible to build the amps economically on more than a onesie-twosie kind of scale. Also, a commercial version would ideally be in a custom chassis for custom branding/design language. The commercial version would also need to be a bit different from the DIY version. Otherwise people will start comparing the commercial product against the DIY offerings. Anyway. Long story short. It's quite an undertaking but it is something I think about periodically. I do have TCA going for exactly that: www.tomchr.com

That said, I'm not getting a lot of traction with TCA. It's a crowded market and it's hard to break through. Then again, I don't do much beyond posting here and attending trade shows, so I could certainly do more marketing. But Neurochrome (my DIY brand) has really taken off the past few years and I'm picking up more consulting gigs, so I'm beginning to wonder if I honestly have enough time in my life for TCA. Then again, again, I'm not sure TCA would require that much time once I got it going. At least not at the scale I'm after. I would be quite happy with 10-20 orders/month. That's not that hard to sustain. Getting to that point is a challenge, though.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time in my life that's happened. I'm sure you're all completely shocked to hear this. :)

Anyway. This was a very longwinded answer to a pretty simple question. Sometimes it helps me to write these things out.

Tom
I wasn't thinking about myself with my question about licensing. I would be terrible at building amps. Was just wondering if anyone else had ever asked about it. Sounds like that hasn't come together so far but maybe if the LA90 sparks things then who knows?

Can you build the 686 upon request? I'm not looking for an amp right now but I am looking for a house in the mountains, so then maybe...

manisandher

Tom

I (through my amp builder here in the UK) have purchased a total of 12 Modulus units from you. It would have been 16, but the quote from my builder for putting together 4x 686 amps for my subs was prohibitive.

If you had commercial offerings, I would certainly have considered purchasing directly from you. (Though I have to say, I'm perfectly happy with the amps I have, especially the way they sound - the best-sounding amps I've ever had... and I've had a lot over the years.)

Not sure how many people are in the market for multiple high-spec amps though...

Mani.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can you build the 686 upon request? I'm not looking for an amp right now but I am looking for a house in the mountains, so then maybe...
I can build any of my amps on request. I currently have materials on hand for two Modulus-686 in the Safe-n-Sane configuration. I have materials for a couple of Modulus-286 as well.

I (through my amp builder here in the UK) have purchased a total of 12 Modulus units from you. It would have been 16, but the quote from my builder for putting together 4x 686 amps for my subs was prohibitive.
Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it.

Not sure how many people are in the market for multiple high-spec amps though...
That is quite literally the $64k question.

Tom

Last edited:

manisandher

My pleasure. I consider the Neurochromes great value for the SQ they return.

My mid- and high-horns are 109dB/W@1m, and are incredibly revealing. Being fully active, the amps are connected directly to the drivers. I've tried the horns with SET amps, SS class-A, SS single-ended, chip amps, class-T, and class-D. None of them were quiet enough. (The class-D were the quietest, but I didn't like the way they sounded - totally lifeless IMO.)

The Neurochromes were a revelation in comparison. And at idle, there's zilch coming out of the mid-horn, and only an ever-so-slight hiss coming out of the high-horns, with your ear next to the horn mouth.

Couldn't be happier with my choice of amps. Keep up the good work!

Mani.

groovybassist

Forum Donor

Tom
@tomchr I know this will be looked at as heresy here, but have you considered submitting the TCA HPA-1 for reviews by some of the well known, subjectively-oriented mags/sites/reviewers? While you focus strongly on engineering the best products you can, they also sound great subjectively. I feel objective forums tend to focus on biggest bang for smallest cost, so your focus on quality manufacture and reliability tends to be overlooked. I think subjective folks are (rightly or wrongly) more willing to pay higher prices for gear they think sounds good to them. Just wondering out loud if the exposure would kick-start TCA a bit.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I can build any of my amps on request. I currently have materials on hand for two Modulus-686 in the Safe-n-Sane configuration. I have materials for a couple of Modulus-286 as well.

That is quite literally the $64k question.

Tom

I built my Mods686 monoblocks in late 2018 (the Mods286 monos in 2017) which at the time where the best measuring amps (up to 114dB SINAD, 126dB Dynamic Range) next to the Benchmark AHB 2 and are still excellent by today’s standards. Still serve me well and now driving my KEF Reference 3 (in 2018 Kef R700) without breaking a sweat. Can only recommend the product but also the invaluable and quick expert support whenever I had questions.

Post in thread 'Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD'
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...mp-with-extremely-low-thd.318372/post-5581125

Post in thread 'Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD'
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...mp-with-extremely-low-thd.318372/post-5627156

Last edited:

dweeeeb2

Its mentioned in this review that "I could also feel the "tingling" sensation from the case which indicates mains leakage". I believe I have this sensation when touching my Marantz Model 30 Amp. It disappears once the DAC is plugged in. Marantz service and the dealer who sold me the amp said it did not sound like a grounding issue and passed me off. Can anyone here shed some light on whats likely causing this. Is it just a loose wire or something more? Do I need to get it repaired?
Thanks

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I think the tingling sensation is due to the leakage current through capacitors that are used in the EMI filter on the mains input to the power supply. I have never had that with a grounded chassis - which is why I build my amps that way. That leaves me a little puzzled why Amir had that issue with one of my builds. As he points out it's legal and safe, but at least in my view it shouldn't be there.

Some of the EU countries don't use grounded outlets - or if they do they may have an ungrounded power strip plugged into a grounded outlet. In addition, they often use non-polarized plugs. If you're in this situation and find the tingling bothersome, try reversing the mains plug. That will make the tingling go away.

Amir mentions that the tingling explains why one channel measures worse than the other on mains hum. That's actually not the case. The reason one channel has higher hum is that its input is closer to the rectifier in the SMPS than the other channel. The additional mains hum is due to radiated energy from the rectifier and surrounding PCB traces into the input of the affected channel. The Modulus-286 Kit (Limited Edition) was super compact and that little bit of mains hum was one of the compromises I made in the design. You'll also notice that my newer chassis (shown below) are larger, which eliminates this issue. It also makes the chassis much easier to assemble.

You can find the Modulus-286 here: https://neurochrome.com/products/modulus-286
And the chassis here: https://neurochrome.com/collections/connectors-parts/products/modulus-chassis

Tom

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Its mentioned in this review that "I could also feel the "tingling" sensation from the case which indicates mains leakage". I believe I have this sensation when touching my Marantz Model 30 Amp. It disappears once the DAC is plugged in. Marantz service and the dealer who sold me the amp said it did not sound like a grounding issue and passed me off. Can anyone here shed some light on whats likely causing this. Is it just a loose wire or something more? Do I need to get it repaired?
Thanks
Just FYI. I don’t have „tingling“ with neither the Mod268 nor the Mod686 amps I have (linear PS and grounded connections, location Europe).

Top Bottom