• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

win

What does your signal path show when you are playing music via Roon? Just curious.

edit: whatever that "ALSA" DAC thing is, that's the SHD Studio. That is not a standalone DAC that I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-07 135613.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-07 135613.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 103

Sonnie

So you are going straight from from your sever via Ethernet to the SHD?

Seems like that would be the better solution until it is certified vs the Rasberry Pi w/ RoPieee, since it eliminates the extra equipment.

Coincidentally I have a pair of those AHB2 amps that should be here tomorrow... and own a few of the SVS subs.

win

So you are going straight from from your sever via Ethernet to the SHD?

correct. Both on same ethernet network.

Core 'server' is on a PC that runs 24/7.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My core is in my office is connected to my network. The SHD not the SHD studio is connected to my network. I cannot use the SHD as a Roon ready device. I can use the plugin as a bridge.

Screenshot_20201207-165912_Samsung Internet.jpg

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a coder but that sun- snd-sun8i-i2s has something to do with the codec on the sound card maybe someone who knows linux will chime in. It's part of the plugin I think.

win

Dumb question - if you are able to use that plugin as a bridge, what is the issue with the integration?

Sieniek

As I already have SHD on a Bill-Of-Materials for a new 2.2 system, I shouldn't even care about this, but hey, I will certainly read the review :)

The only drawbacks in SHD series for me are the lack of HDMI ARC port and perhaps 12V trigger (I need to cut power to Subs and Monitors when SHD is sleeping). But these are annoyances that I can tolerate as long as there is no good alternative.

Note that the new revisions have a remote that allows to quickly switch 4 presets and Dirac Live on and off. I think this is brilliant if it works well.

Do you know how to check which revision of Minidsp SHD do I have ? I have bought two units from Deer Creek Audio and just received it couple of days ago. How to check it ?

Sonnie

Question for the SHD owners... or those that might be in the know.

Is there a remote function to mute one of the analog outputs? For example... if I use OUT1 and OUT2 for front left+right speakers and OUT3 for subwoofer and wanted to mute OUT3.... can a preset be setup and saved for this scenario?

tw99

Question for the SHD owners... or those that might be in the know.

Is there a remote function to mute one of the analog outputs? For example... if I use OUT1 and OUT2 for front left+right speakers and OUT3 for subwoofer and wanted to mute OUT3.... can a preset be setup and saved for this scenario?

No, the mute button just mutes all of it.

terasankka

I got this reply from miniDSP today to my question regarding the Roon-certification:

"Thanks for your interest in our products.
The SHD series is indeed undergoing Roon Certification. We hope to have great news in the coming weeks but unfortunately can't provide an exact date. Thanks for your patience. "

So, it is weeks, not months or years. :D I'll wait.

Sonnie

No, the mute button just mutes all of it.
I think this is what I am looking for here, and I should be able to create a preset with output 3 muted via the Outputs tab. So this should make it fairly easy to setup and use as an HT Bypass with my HTP-1 processor. I'd create the a preset to turn off all processing and mute the sub channel and use fixed volume output.

1607444687155.png

tw99

I think this is what I am looking for here, and I should be able to create a preset with output 3 muted via the Outputs tab. So this should make it fairly easy to setup and use as an HT Bypass with my HTP-1 processor. I'd create the a preset to turn off all processing and mute the sub channel and use fixed volume output.

View attachment 98045

Yes, you're right, that would work, at the cost of using up a preset.

TimW

Major Contributor

View attachment 98045
That will work. I don't know of any fixed output option though. You will just have to remember to set the volume to the same level everytime.

win

@Sonnie The only thing I'm not sure of with that solution is the fixed volume output.

It's not very easy to just crank the volume up all the way either, the unit has some hysteresis when going volume UP - you have to spin the knob more and more to get those last 12db or so.

In case it doesn't work out, might be worthwhile to submit the suggestion to minidsp. I know that they revamped their source selection for the logitech harmony integration based on user needs/feedback. And what you're suggesting is something people here ask for all the time from their hifi components, but it's often missed - HT bypass

Last edited:

Cudemonster

View attachment 98045
If you get the miniDSP WI-DG you can connect to the dashboard on a computer through wifi and flip the mute on and off within a preset. That way you wouldn't have to use up a whole present. Unfortunately the WI-DG doesn't work with the Dirac software, so you can't use it to connect for the microphone measurements.

Sonnie

So the use of the preset isn't really a big deal for me. I probably won't use more than two presets anyway. The question would be if the Master Volume will stick at 0 dB (or whatever volume it needs to be) for the preset, provided I don't adjust the volume for that preset. If I can set the Master Volume to 0 dB, mute Out3, turn off the Xover, and it stick on that preset, I should be good. I won't be using Dirac since I will use Convolution/Audiolense in Roon.

1607454737350.png

Cudemonster

So the use of the preset isn't really a big deal for me. I probably won't use more than two presets anyway. The question would be if the Master Volume will stick at 0 dB (or whatever volume it needs to be) for the preset, provided I don't adjust the volume for that preset. If I can set the Master Volume to 0 dB, mute Out3, turn off the Xover, and it stick on that preset, I should be good. I won't be using Dirac since I will use Convolution/Audiolense in Roon.

View attachment 98082
Yes, on my unit the master volume stays the same if I shift between presets.

Sonnie

Yes, on my unit the master volume stays the same if I shift between presets.
Awesome... so that should work out well unless I'm totally missing something.

EDIT: Wait... reading that wrong... NOT awesome. lol

Maybe I should just use a switch and be done with it.

It would be nice if miniDSP offered a fixed output switch on each preset.

win

It would be nice if miniDSP offered a fixed output switch on each preset.
It would be. It's a digital value so I think it's theoretically possible. It's just kind of dangerous to have a preset that could break your speakers if you aren't careful.

Top Bottom