• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Set up a raspberry pi4 with Ropiee and connect to the USB to stream roon if you don't want to use the plugin in Volumio.

Sonnie

Set up a raspberry pi4 with Ropiee and connect to the USB to stream roon if you don't want to use the plugin in Volumio.
Wouldn't that be the same as using the Roon Bridge in Volumio, except cost more?

I'm asking... as I'm not all that familiar with the setup at this point. I was thinking of trying to keep the USB out of it and stick with Ethernet only so that there is no other equipment in the room (that is if you have your Roon Core in another room like I do).

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't that be the same as using the Roon Bridge in Volumio, except cost more?

I'm asking... as I'm not all that familiar with the setup at this point. I was thinking of trying to keep the USB out of it and stick with Ethernet only so that there is no other equipment in the room (that is if you have your Roon Endpoint in another room like I do).

I'm not sure ,Ropiee is certified not sure about the plugin bridge in Volumio. I am not a fan of Volumio, I've had plugins brick the device and had to reinstall the OS.

win

the roon certification is a semantic achievement at best.

it works perfectly fine today.

source: my shd studio, working perfectly fine with roon

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How long have you been using the Studio with Roon?

terasankka

I think it will not actually work anymore, as roon has blocked all uncertified streamers. You cannot add them anymore. If you had them installed before they did that, they will work, but if you now reset you Roon, you are in trouble.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are grandfathered in, if you disconnect the Minidsp and remove it as a player from your core you can't add it back. Any player that wasn't online when they went to full certification back in Sept. doesn't work as an endpoint.

win

I received it in november this year. you just need to configure it first then roon recognizes it as an endpoint

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received it in november this year. you just need to configure it first then roon recognizes it as an endpoint

Configure it? Are you talking about installing the Roon plugin or setting the device as roon ready?

win

Configure it? Are you talking about installing the Roon plugin or setting the device as roon ready?

just the initial setup, which can be done over USB. I believe the volumio plugin exposes itself as a suitable roon endpoint.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-07 132430.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-07 132430.png
    57 KB · Views: 130

win

I'm not sure. But I never configured Roon on the minidsp studio. It was just recognized as soon as I did the initial setup on it.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
just the initial setup, which can be done over USB. I believe the volumio plugin exposes itself as a suitable roon endpoint.

That's the Roon bridge plugin. It would say Roon Ready not bridge if the device was certified.

win

Perhaps a screen shot would clear it up.

i edited one in after my OP

That's the Roon bridge plugin. It would say Roon Ready not bridge if the device was certified.

forgive my ignorance, but I don't think any Roon software or plugins were directly installed onto the shd studio (not by me at least). It was just recognized as such by my core server without further configuration.

Sonnie

Hmmm... yeah, I thought you had to configure it as such, but I don't have one, and apparently you didn't.

What does your signal path show when you are playing music via Roon? Just curious.

Is there a difference in the quality between Roon Bridge and Roon Ready (or Roon Certified)?

Top Bottom