• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
However, the 7.1 analog ins not getting digitized seems to be a consensus view. If I was going to use an external DAC they would be the only inputs that make sense.
Agreed but, Depending on your system and speakers it's a toss-up what the potential gains may be. You might get the analog sound of the Lumin thru with little to no change in it's SQ but, on the other hand you give up all the sound processing capabilities the 8805 offers. Audyssey room correction, upsampling with a huge variety of options, individual DRC for dual subwoofers, much more.
I currently have my Emotiva DC-1 plugged into a std analog input so as not to give up those options but TBH I rarely use it as a DAC in that configuration any more as I never could hear any difference that way as opposed to just letting my 7703 handle everything.
YMMV

I never could hear any difference that way as opposed to just letting my 7703 handle everything.
YMMV
I completely agree that the subtle difference in adding an external DAC would be swamped by the enormous potential benefits of the 8805's room correction and/or subwoofer integration.

I believe that RichB was on the right track when he mentioned that the 8805 (as well as most modern AVRs and processors) is a network-centric device. I think the correct solution to getting the best sound out of the 8805 is to feed it a digital signal. There would be no need for an A-D-A conversion. These D&M products have at least two options for playing Tidal that don't require an external DAC or the use of HDMI inputs:

1. Use HEOS. The free HEOS app controls the 8805's built-in HEOS streamer. It allows you to play Tidal and Spotify as well as your own music stored on your home network. I've tried it and it works great.

2. Use the coax input. Build a cheap Raspberry Pi streamer by adding a coax output board such as the Allo Digione or the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro. Using Volumio with their new subscription service you can now stream Tidal. Another option is Moode Audio which lets you stream Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify.

Of course, in both cases you would be using the non-MQA DAC in the 8805 so there would be no MQA capability. However, since MQA is of very questionable benefit I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Bad DAC measurements = poor surround sound performance because movie track is fed into the receiver via HDMIA? i have a dedicated DAC which i plan to use for music via rca connection. i assume that bypasses the receiver's DAC. thanks.

Kal Rubinson

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Agreed but, Depending on your system and speakers it's a toss-up what the potential gains may be. You might get the analog sound of the Lumin thru with little to no change in it's SQ but, on the other hand you give up all the sound processing capabilities the 8805 offers. Audyssey room correction, upsampling with a huge variety of options, individual DRC for dual subwoofers, much more.
It can be effective. I use the Marantz for TV and movies with cable box, Roku and Oppo connected by HDMI. For music, I have my server feeding a trio of Mytek DACs that connect via the 7.1 analog inputs. I don't miss Audyssey and other processing because I have DiracLive and DSP in the server. A schizoid setup but it works for me.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
It can be effective. I use the Marantz for TV and movies with cable box, Roku and Oppo connected by HDMI. For music, I have my server feeding a trio of Mytek DACs that connect via the 7.1 analog inputs. I don't miss Audyssey and other processing because I have DiracLive and DSP in the server. A schizoid setup but it works for me.
Oh for sure, then you handle all those chores yourself before the fact.
An excellent approach, if a bit complicated and costly. ;)

BDWoody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
What kind of server? How do you get multichannel digital out? I'm looking for options to run multichannel to a jbl 705p, 708p 5.1 setup