• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Lounge LCR MKIII Phono Amp

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
My own thoughts are that hiss and distortion can always be added when desired, but cannot be subtracted if they are already present.

That unease with silence is very familiar to those of us who have been inside anechoic chambers!

Yeah, I tried an anechoic chamber in Sydney, Australia as well, although the experience wasn't as profound as in Death Valley, but that was perhaps because Death Valley happened earlier (or perhaps Death Valley was quieter).

I have been to the quietest place on earth, the chamber in Microsoft's building 87. We kept the door open but all chambers are disconcerting.

I once tried to convince someone that background noise was like bias on a tape head and necessary for good sound. It was just some BS I was making up over drinks but then we started wondering if there could be some truth to it. True quietness is not natural at all. And, whenever I've measured some classic compressors and EQs, the noise levels were pretty high compared to even cheap gear today. Yet, everyone craves these things for their sound. It all goes back relevance. Just because we can measure something, it doesn't mean it matters.

Top Bottom