• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of JDSLabs ODAC Rev. B Compared to Fiio E10K

Willem

Major Contributor
I have a revision B from 2015 in my desktop system. I think yours and mine are both better than human hearing, even though they are not as good as what is possible now. So I am not planning on replacing mine. My desktop system only uses a PC via usb as a source and I can do equalization on the PC, so in this basic system I do not need the facilities that I enjoy so much with the RME ADI-2 in my main system.

SDX-LV

I have a revision B from 2015 in my desktop system. I think yours and mine are both better than human hearing, even though they are not as good as what is possible now. So I am not planning on replacing mine. My desktop system only uses a PC via usb as a source and I can do equalization on the PC, so in this basic system I do not need the facilities that I enjoy so much with the RME ADI-2 in my main system.

Actually with all the developments for built-in PC audio cards and even Apple USB-C headphone dongle being quite good, I wonder if ODAC is doing anything useful in my system or I should just plug my active speakers straight into Gigabyte Aorus B450i motherboard? Gigabyte claims "127dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with High-End ESS SABRE 9018K2M DAC, LME 49720 and OPA1622 OP-AMP, WIMA audio capacitor", so it is not an afterthought anymore, but of course no warranty that it is any good.

Willem

Major Contributor
Basically, we don't know until your motherboard is actually tested. The insides of computers are quite hostile places, but it is true that things have improved a lot in more recent years. I still use a pretty old desktop PC and the ODAC represents an audible improvement. Since the ODAC is sonically beter than human hearing acuity, there is no harm in using it.
The real sonic degradation is in the fan noise of the computer, and therefore my next one will be fanless (the most powerful ones among them are now more or less powerful enough for my needs).

fearmemortals

I commonly see people recommend the e10k as a budget DAC/amp for drop HD 6xx yet FiiO says that the amp is only good for up to 150 ohms. Unfortunately, they only provide a single power measurement on their website (200 mW @ 32 ohms).

You mention in your review that they were good for your HD 650. Could you shed some light on the power capability of this amp? It'd be great to know how much power it can output at 300 ohms.

sssn

Reviving this thread because Fiio released a direct successor to the E10K, the E10K TC (Type C).

Main difference: XMOS USB chip and USB-C input. Still uses the same PCM5102 DAC chip.

Top Bottom