• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

Aerius-Aye

Forum Donor
I've never been able to hear any difference in noise level between 0 and 100 with my XLS 1500, as long as it is driven by a low noise Balanced pre-amp or Dac. The level controls in the XLS are only for attenuation. I usually use my XLS at 100% and use either one of my balanced DAC's with volume control or with my Schiit Magnius, which is also balanced. If I attempt to use any of my unbalanced sources, I do get noise. I'm pretty sure that those that have noise that is level dependent (using the XLS controls) would find no difference if they unhooked their source.
I don't think most of people's sources have audible noise so it's likely ground loops or RF noise. Pro amps do seem more likely to have these issues when driven by an unbalanced connection probably due to the three wire power cable used for safety for places moisture could be an issue.
Definitely. I always go balanced. There is a reason all pro gear has uses it! Re the attenuation knobs, I run mine about 1 PM, and that gives me a nice sweet spot on my DAC2's excellent volume pot. If I cranked the attenuation knobs, I would be way at the bottom of my volume pot. So you think there is good reason to max the knobs on the Crown?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Definitely. I always go balanced. There is a reason all pro gear has uses it! Re the attenuation knobs, I run mine about 1 PM, and that gives me a nice sweet spot on my DAC2's excellent volume pot. If I cranked the attenuation knobs, I would be way at the bottom of my volume pot. So you think there is good reason to max the knobs on the Crown?
IMO, there is, in most cases, good reason NOT to max the knobs on the Crown.... 1pm to 2pm is often a much better setting (and roughly what I use)

I don't have balanced... and given maximum interconnect runs of 1m, have no reason to seek it out. (it would require a pre-amp costing many multiples of what my AVR cost me! - for negligible benefit!)

HighFutility

Could anyone chime in on using high gain vs regular with a denon x3500h? I don't think the sub-out signal is very strong with the Denon receiver.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Pro gear uses balanced due mobile logistics, long runs, interference, etc.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could anyone chime in on using high gain vs regular with a denon x3500h? I don't think the sub-out signal is very strong with the Denon receiver.
The sub preout signal from the Denon should be fine for the 1.4V setting.

JeffGB

I usually use max volume on the Crown because I use EQ, where I attenuate the signal by necessity. If there is still an issue I will cut my digital volume on the DAC down a few more db but that usually isn't required in my setup. There are many good reasons to cut the level on the Crown as well. I do find the different Crown level settings give a slightly different sound, with lower settings seeming a bit less bright and dynamic. I don't know why I hear that and I understand it isn't something that is seems measurable so it's just the way I perceive it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually use max volume on the Crown because I use EQ, where I attenuate the signal by necessity. If there is still an issue I will cut my digital volume on the DAC down a few more db but that usually isn't required in my setup. There are many good reasons to cut the level on the Crown as well. I do find the different Crown level settings give a slightly different sound, with lower settings seeming a bit less bright and dynamic. I don't know why I hear that and I understand it isn't something that is seems measurable so it's just the way I perceive it.
Sounds just like different perception of different volume levels....altho with a bit of attenuation on the Crown you might alleviate a bit of noise....

Aerius-Aye

Forum Donor
Pro gear uses balanced due mobile logistics, long runs, interference, etc.
Of course. I have run into situations where even a short run had some interference though, due to a strong field of some kind. Also I seem to remember that in general, XLR in/out voltage specs and perhaps even impedance matching tend to be more uniform in general. Aside from that, XLR is much easier to connect and has that nice locking feature. OMG save us from the death-grip RCA interconnect–I have seen those damage equipment. None of this is to say that XLR is inherently superior or is crafted by magic audiophile elves or anything.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Of course. I have run into situations where even a short run had some interference though, due to a strong field of some kind. Also I seem to remember that in general, XLR in/out voltage specs and perhaps even impedance matching tend to be more uniform in general. Aside from that, XLR is much easier to connect and has that nice locking feature. OMG save us from the death-grip RCA interconnect–I have seen those damage equipment. None of this is to say that XLR is inherently superior or is crafted by magic audiophile elves or anything.
I don't know why consumer gear won't adopt XLR. I don't like mixing interfaces.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Probably comes down to cost... the pennies add up. (especially given the additional circuitry required, as well as the more expensive connectors, etc...)

And the fact that the additional cost, comes with little or no benefit for 99% of domestic consumer cases.

Hence you find things like the Integra AVR's (aimed at the custom install market) that provide XLR's where their domestic twins from Onkyo don't...

Reactions: EJ3

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I max the knobs on my XLS 1502 and connect with RCA from a relatively noisy MiniDSP 2x4HD. The speakers are very low sensitivity LS50's non meta. There is no hiss problem.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I max the knobs on my XLS 1502 and connect with RCA from a relatively noisy MiniDSP 2x4HD. The speakers are very low sensitivity LS50's non meta. There is no hiss problem.
It can happen when you have a nasty combination of a high sensitivity set of speakers, and a combo where the pre-amp gain is badly adjusted (too high) - so the combo ends up boosting low level hiss from the early sections of the chain.... something which could be resolved with judicious adjustments of the various gain and attenuation settings... and yes the issue is by no means universal, and many of us have never encountered it... but enough people HAVE encountered it to know that it is a possible problem.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
It can happen when you have a nasty combination of a high sensitivity set of speakers, and a combo where the pre-amp gain is badly adjusted (too high) - so the combo ends up boosting low level hiss from the early sections of the chain.... something which could be resolved with judicious adjustments of the various gain and attenuation settings... and yes the issue is by no means universal, and many of us have never encountered it... but enough people HAVE encountered it to know that it is a possible problem.
It is a big problem. Low pre-amp voltage with high gain amp is recipe for unhappiness.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is worse with active speakers. The amplifier chips they use have a SINAD of around 75 to 80 dB (reported around here) and they are sensitive because there is no passive network between the amp and driver.

dabraend

I had a Hypex DS 8.0 driving 2 in-wall subwoofers in my living room. After 5 years it broke down and I replaced it with an XLS1502. Listening the XLS1502 clearly outperforms the Hypex DS 8.0, being much tighter in the transients and having a lot more headroom. I use it for the frequency range of 20Hz to 110Hz, using the built-in DSP. In this application noise is not an issue whatsoever. Great value for the money in my opinion.

JeffGB

I had a Hypex DS 8.0 driving 2 in-wall subwoofers in my living room. After 5 years it broke down and I replaced it with an XLS1502. Listening the XLS1502 clearly outperforms the Hypex DS 8.0, being much tighter in the transients and having a lot more headroom. I use it for the frequency range of 20Hz to 110Hz, using the built-in DSP. In this application noise is not an issue whatsoever. Great value for the money in my opinion.
Over the years (I've had mine more than 10 years) the Crown XLS has surprised me over and over. I have several other amplifiers with much higher SINAD but the Crown continues to please me more in sound, specifically the bass and midrange. Most of my other amps have much softer and less impactful bass, so I keep coming back to it. The multitone for the Crown does outclass many other amps with higher SINAD. With normal bookshelf speakers that have lowish sensitivity, noise is inaudible. With the Crown's level controls at 100%, using XLR, I have to press my ear to the tweeter to detect anything.
I keep trying my TPA3255 amps but they never have the same sound on voices.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Over the years (I've had mine more than 10 years) the Crown XLS has surprised me over and over. I have several other amplifiers with much higher SINAD but the Crown continues to please me more in sound, specifically the bass and midrange. Most of my other amps have much softer and less impactful bass, so I keep coming back to it. The multitone for the Crown does outclass many other amps with higher SINAD. With normal bookshelf speakers that have lowish sensitivity, noise is inaudible. With the Crown's level controls at 100%, using XLR, I have to press my ear to the tweeter to detect anything.
I keep trying my TPA3255 amps but they never have the same sound on voices.
I've been using my XLS2500's to drive my Gallo Reference 3.2 speakers.

Results have been excellent, subjectively I believe the bass is better than my attempts with other amps (Quad 606/707, Integra DTR70.4, Onkyo SR876) - but ultimately the difference is not sufficient to be able to convincingly say it could be objectively measured.

Amps that cannot handle low impedances/difficult speakers (Integra DRX 3.4) were obviously worse (unlike the other amps I tried)

I have never had any noise issues, and never heard the fan operating - I've owned these for close to 15 years now...

Very under-appreciated, and they can often be purchased very cheaply used on the pro-audio marketplaces

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never run into issues with any run I have ever made (as long as 20 feet) with an RCA connection that wasn't easily fixable.
On one run I have that the turntable is on one side of a 5ft wide fire place opening (a 12 foot run from the TT to the floor, were there is an APT/Holman Preamp that boosts that signal to line level, which runs out of main 2 to one of the line level inputs on APT/Holman Preamp #2, & from there to the Tri Amped speaker system.
I've done a lot of other oddball stuff with RCA to RCA & never had an issue.
Now, if home systems consistently had 30 or more Ft, runs (some of the shorter runs that I have run setting up P.A, systems for bands), then I could see the added expense, use factor & better interference rejection.
And there is always the tolerance factor of your partner in life.
RCA's are a bit easier to make incognito.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I've been using my XLS2500's to drive my Gallo Reference 3.2 speakers.

Results have been excellent, subjectively I believe the bass is better than my attempts with other amps (Quad 606/707, Integra DTR70.4, Onkyo SR876) - but ultimately the difference is not sufficient to be able to convincingly say it could be objectively measured.

Amps that cannot handle low impedances/difficult speakers (Integra DRX 3.4) were obviously worse (unlike the other amps I tried)

I have never had any noise issues, and never heard the fan operating - I've owned these for close to 15 years now...

Very under-appreciated, and they can often be purchased very cheaply used on the pro-audio marketplaces
Most noticeable feature of any modern amp is clipping. Your Crown can power any speaker.

Top Bottom