• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been impressed by the quality of the analogue outlut of the CCA, both the published measurements from Archimago and by listening myself. I had one as input into my old Quad 33 preamp. When I replaced that with an ADI-2 and started using the digital output the sound was cleaner. However I coyld not do any double blind testing. I think it was real but not necessarily to be attributed to the different CCA outputs. My Quad 33 preamp is a really old design after all nand measurements are pretty marginal by modern standards. So the difference was probably due to the preamp vs RME DAC rather than the quality of the CCA.
Anyway, the good news is that the CCA is really good, but the bad news is that it has been discontinued.
By the way, people should realize that the so called high dynamic range setting is just higher output voltage. If the input sensitivity of your preamp is high this setting is to ve avoided in favour of the lower output voltage.
I second that, I use my second CCA with analogue out into an old Logitech iPod dock from 2011/2012. If I flick the HDR on it sounds quite boomy and distorted and muddies everything in the process.

Digital out isn't affected by whether the HDR setting is on or off though

Willem

Major Contributor
thats right the hdr is only an option on analogue.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least you agree that ear can differentiate the clarity and quality :)

No. It can't. It can make out a perception where there is none. That is exactly my point - you *perceive* a quality difference where the only difference is one of volume/level.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
At least you agree that ear can differentiate the clarity and quality :)

You missed the point...

You'll 'hear' differences that aren't there.

Level match with a volt meter...much easier.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Well guys, I am not new to this hobby. I have done a test today.

1. Phone > Topping NX4DSD > Headphones
2. Phone > Topping D50 > Topping NX4DSD > Headphones
3. CCA > Topping D50 > Topping NX4DSD > Headphones

I couldn't distinguish 2 and 3 but 3 gives me a little more freedom with the phone. But I can certainly tell the difference between 1 and 2/3. This was done blind folded with my wife's help.

oldsysop

I couldn't distinguish 2 and 3 but 3 gives me a little more freedom with the phone. But I can certainly tell the difference between 1 and 2/3. This was done blind folded with my wife's help.
Level match with a volt meter ?

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Fancy doing a test for reference?
  1. CCA > Topping NX4DSD > Headphones
  2. CCA > Headphones
You might find some interesting results.

Roberto

Could you please also try:

2. CCA > Topping D50 > Topping NX4DSD > Headphones

This would test CCA internal DAC v Topping D50 DAC

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fancy doing a test for reference?
  2. CCA > Headphones
You might find some interesting results.
Do you know what, never thought to test 'phones straight into the CCA with a 3.5mm. If you turn off the high dynamic setting it outputs 1v, starting low, increase the output on the CCA. Anyone know its output impedance?

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't know whete but I have seen a test to the effect that it is not a good headphone amp.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know whete but I have seen a test to the effect that it is not a good headphone amp.
To be fair I wasn't expecting it to be

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
I've used one of mine from time to time. With a power bank. Sounded totally ok.

Do you know what, never thought to test 'phones straight into the CCA with a 3.5mm. If you turn off the high dynamic setting it outputs 1v, starting low, increase the output on the CCA. Anyone know its output impedance?

From archimagos tests: The analogue output is a stereo 3.5mm standard headphone jack. Indeed, you can just plug in some headphones and stream music from your device using the volume control. Using a 1kHz sine wave and a 20-ohm load, I measured an output impedance of 34.5-ohms. Clearly this is high and not meant to be used with the typical low-impedance headphones these days

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll skip trying with IEM then :oops:

Some of my 200 ohm plus Beyer or Senn might be fun

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Honestly, you try running headphones straight out of CCA, the output impedance is not suitable headphones. Anyway, I tried and it didn't sound good.

DDF

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to wonder why Spotify reps have mixed messages. They probably don't think this is a big deal.
They probably don't understand the question, and just guess, anything to get the customer of the phone, and onto the next call.

Top Bottom