• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm.. looks like I’ll have to live without Qobuz. Wasn‘t too impressed with the overall user interface anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I‘ll leave it at that. Don’t want to turn this into a Qobuz thread.
I have the same issue, are you a beta user? I use BubbleUPnP to overcome this.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I have the same issue, are you a beta user? I use BubbleUPnP to overcome this.

No, not a beta user. I just use the latest release.

Sorry, I don’t know what BubbleUPnP is. I just cast to CCA from Android.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
No, not a beta user. I just use the latest release.

Sorry, I don’t know what BubbleUPnP is. I just cast to CCA from Android.
It is an app on Android, very nice integration of Qobuz

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
It is an app on Android, very nice integration of Qobuz

Did some googling on BubbleUPnP. Seems it need a separate server app running on a PC. Is that correct?

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Did some googling on BubbleUPnP. Seems it need a separate server app running on a PC. Is that correct?
Nope, you just browse through your Qobuz or Tidal catalogues by logging in and it works like charm with CCA and any UPnP renderers.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Nope, you just browse through your Qobuz or Tidal catalogues by logging in and it works like charm with CCA and any UPnP renderers.

So, It’s a stand-alone app for Android. Just download and install BubbleUPnP on Android. Configure and cast Tidal or Qobuz to CCA? I’ll give it a try, even just out of curiosity.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
So, It’s a stand-alone app for Android. Just download and install BubbleUPnP on Android. Configure and cast Tidal or Qobuz to CCA? I’ll give it a try, even just out of curiosity.
You got it, you won't be disappointed. Only thing I miss with CCA now is the gapless playback but that's a minor gripe

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
You got it, you won't be disappointed. Only thing I miss with CCA now is the gapless playback but that's a minor gripe

Tried It with Tidal, as my Qubuz subscription has expired. Works really well. Not quite as good as the standard Tidal app.

If I was totally committed to Qobuz I would use it. Sad that a subscription based service needs a third party app to make it work properly.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Tried It with Tidal, as my Qubuz subscription has expired. Works really well. Not quite as good as the standard Tidal app.

If I was totally committed to Qobuz I would use it. Sad that a subscription based service needs a third party app to make it work properly.
I understand, for us in the UK Qobuz makes more sense at £14.99 per month as compared to £19.99 per month for Tidal. I hope the native app gets updated with support for gapless playback under Google casting. I presume Tidal doesn't support gapless either on CCA or Google cast.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I understand, for us in the UK Qobuz makes more sense at £14.99 per month as compared to £19.99 per month for Tidal. I hope the native app gets updated with support for gapless playback under Google casting. I presume Tidal doesn't support gapless either on CCA or Google cast.

No it doesn’t. I believe the problem is with the CCA, not the native apps. Otherwise you would think they would all have fixed it by now.

For me, it just isn‘t important at all.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
The problem is with Google protocol, apparently there's a work around only few app developers mastered it. HiFiCast app does it but it cannot connect to streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz. Roon does it as well but it is fairly expensive.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The problem is with Google protocol, apparently there's a work around only few app developers mastered it. HiFiCast app does it but it cannot connect to streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz. Roon does it as well but it is fairly expensive.

Out of curiosity, I just tried BubbleUPnP with a Raspberry/Allo Boss I had lying around running Volumio. Casts just the same as with CCA, and gapless works. So, if gapless is important, that’s always an option.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
I know and thought about getting Allo at one point but Google cast is supported by a lot of apps whereas not all apps support DLNA streaming. Do you know any Rasberry Pi software that can work with Google cast protocol? BubbleUPnP is only good if you subscribe to one of these or have the music on a server or cloud.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I know and thought about getting Allo at one point but Google cast is supported by a lot of apps whereas not all apps support DLNA streaming. Do you know any Rasberry Pi software that can work with Google cast protocol? BubbleUPnP is only good if you subscribe to one of these or have the music on a server or cloud.

Sorry, I don't. I've only used it with Volumio. However, I gave up on that a year ago as the Tidal integration was so poor. I don't expect Qobuz integration is any better. It's been gathering dust ever since.

Maybe other members could help. You should start a new thread. If you need a Raspberry Pi to experiment with let me know.

tw99

With Logitech media server you can play your content (local or streamed) on Chromecast devices via a plugin. PiCorePlayer is a free and easy way to get this going on a Pi. LMS supports Spotify, tidal, qobuz, YouTube...

vkvedam

Forum Donor
@Glasvegas just to let you know the new updated Qobuz app on Android behaves well, track info is accurate and reflects what's being cast :)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
@Glasvegas just to let you know the new updated Qobuz app on Android behaves well, track info is accurate and reflects what's being cast :)

Thanks for letting me know. I've just confirmed what you said. They must have fixed something on their server. I updated the Android app to the latest version a few days ago and it wasn't working.

Now I have to decide if I want to move from Tidal.

FWIW. I also just tried the iOS app. It still doesn't work correctly. If you try to skip to the next track on a playlist or album, it jumps to back to first track and is stuck their until you select another track. Luckily, I don't use the iOS app. Just thought I would check it out.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for letting me know. I've just confirmed what you said. They must have fixed something on their server. I updated the Android app to the latest version a few days ago and it wasn't working.

Now I have to decide if I want to move from Tidal.

FWIW. I also just tried the iOS app. It still doesn't work correctly. If you try to skip to the next track on a playlist or album, it jumps to back to first track and is stuck their until you select another track. Luckily, I don't use the iOS app. Just thought I would check it out.

Im just moving Tidal to Qobuz now they have Family plans. 3500 albums Tidal, matched all but about 250- most of those older albums on smaller label indie type stuff. Its got more Hi-Res than Tidal has MQA I would say. Plus, no MQA!

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
MQA is a good reason to move.

A lot of tracks are MQA only. I stream using the "HiFi" option which supposedly streams the 16/44.1 version of the track. However, I'm not 100% sure what I'm getting.

Maybe a more knowledgeable member can enlighten me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA is a good reason to move.

A lot of tracks are MQA only. I stream using the "HiFi" option which supposedly streams the 16/44.1 version of the track. However, I'm not 100% sure what I'm getting.

Maybe a more knowledgeable member can enlighten me.

On their app? Im not sure they are MQA only, I think many new releases are MQA but the unfolded file will be 44.1/ 48 and prob 24 bit if no MQA capability in your kit/ software.

MY streamer wont do Tidal MQA and it shows all Tidal as 16/44.1 or 16/48 I think

Top Bottom