• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is Toslink out of CCA always set at 24-bit?

Roberto

I stream Tidal lossless (16bit / 44.1kHz) via optical from CCA into a Topping D50. The D50 display always shows 24bit.

So, the bit depth is getting padded out somewhere. Don’t know if it’s the CCA or the D50.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is D50 apparently, in D50s this bug was rectified apparently. As long as the sample rate you are playing bit perfect.

SPOautos

Since this thread is 22 pages I started skipping my way through it. It looks like when it was tested it showed terrible distortion through the optical out but then it was determined that it depended on what software it was receiving the data from....is that correct? And then appears that maybe this was fixed at some point? Is that all correct?

So these are no longer sold, but if I can locate one used.....will this enable to me work with Roon and connect my Yamaha wxc-50 to Roon? The wxc-50 has a optical input but it is a dlna device that does not support the Roon format (except it has Airplay but that downconverts high res to 16/44). Would I be alble to run the Roon server/core on a computer then hook a Chromecast dongle into my wxc-50 optical in and be able to play music from Roon? And also be able to control the Roon core using the Roon phone app (or phone browser may be better as their app may still be buggy)

Thanks for any info!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Since this thread is 22 pages I started skipping my way through it. It looks like when it was tested it showed terrible distortion through the optical out but then it was determined that it depended on what software it was receiving the data from....is that correct? And then appears that maybe this was fixed at some point? Is that all correct?

So these are no longer sold, but if I can locate one used.....will this enable to me work with Roon and connect my Yamaha wxc-50 to Roon? The wxc-50 has a optical input but it is a dlna device that does not support the Roon format (except it has Airplay but that downconverts high res to 16/44). Would I be alble to run the Roon server/core on a computer then hook a Chromecast dongle into my wxc-50 optical in and be able to play music from Roon? And also be able to control the Roon core using the Roon phone app (or phone browser may be better as their app may still be buggy)

Thanks for any info!

That's how I use them. They are recognized as Roon endpoints, so it really is about as easy as it gets. No issues with anything up to 24/96. I have 6 of them grouped...great system. They go used for about $50 I believe...
I also stream from Qobuz and Tidal directly and have never had any issues.

Last edited:

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Yrs to

That's how I use them. They are recognized as Roon endpoints, so it really is about as easy as it gets. No issues with anything up to 24/96. I have 6 of them grouped...great system. They go used for about $50 I believe...
I also stream from Qobuz and Tidal directly and have never had any issues.

Noticed that you stream directly from Qobuz to CCA. Do you mean casting from the Qobuz app on Android? The reason I ask is that although songs played ok at 24/96, I had problems moving to the next song on an album or playlist. Just wondered if you had similar problems.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Noticed that you stream directly from Qobuz to CCA. Do you mean casting from the Qobuz app on Android? The reason I ask is that although songs played ok at 24/96, I had problems moving to the next song on an album or playlist. Just wondered if you had similar problems.

Nothing like that I can recall...just tried it by itself and all seemed fine. I usually stream through Roon, but they all seem to work fine however I'm casting.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for any info!
Second @BDWoody experience. Tidal via roon on pc, select CCA as endpoint, optical from CCA to dac, up to 24 /96. I assume the yamaha can accept 24/96 through optical. Given it isn't a dinosaur I don't see why it shouldn't!

Phone controlling roon no probs . Also, works fine just casting to CCA from tidal app on phone

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask what version you are using on Android? I’m on the latest version v5.9.0.2.

I‘ve got the same problem on two Android devices, casting to two different CCAs and a Chromecast video. Have never had any problems whatsoever casting from Spotify, Tidal, Amazon - only Qobuz!!!! BTW it’s nothing to do with 24/96, as it’s the same with 16/44.1 and even MP3.
Version of what, sorry?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Jimbob,

Sorry, I got my reply mixed up, I meant to reply to BDWoody.

My problem is with Qobuz, not Tidal. I wanted to know which version of Qobuz BDWoody is using on Android.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Jimbob,

Sorry, I got my reply mixed up, I meant to reply to BDWoody.

My problem is with Qobuz, not Tidal. I wanted to know which version of Qobuz BDWoody is using on Android.
No probs.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Nothing like that I can recall...just tried it by itself and all seemed fine. I usually stream through Roon, but they all seem to work fine however I'm casting.

May I ask what version you are using on Android? I’m on the latest version v5.9.0.2.

I‘ve got the same problem on two Android devices, casting to two different CCAs and a Chromecast video. Have never had any problems whatsoever casting from Spotify, Tidal, Amazon - only Qobuz!!!! BTW it’s nothing to do with 24/96, as it’s the same with 16/44.1 and even MP3.

SPOautos

Second @BDWoody experience. Tidal via roon on pc, select CCA as endpoint, optical from CCA to dac, up to 24 /96. I assume the yamaha can accept 24/96 through optical. Given it isn't a dinosaur I don't see why it shouldn't!

Phone controlling roon no probs . Also, works fine just casting to CCA from tidal app on phone

Do you guys know for certain if Google made different versions of these dongle CCA's that looked pretty much the same? I just want to make sure that all Chromecast Audio devices sound the same and function the same before I go to buying a used one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you guys know for certain if Google made different versions of these dongle CCA's that looked pretty much the same? I just want to make sure that all Chromecast Audio devices sound the same and function the same before I go to buying a used one.

No idea about hardware versions. I have a few, never noticed a difference. But if you're using them as discussed it shouldn't matter. They are converting one digital signal to another.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Mine shows v5.9.0...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

No idea, but I have a bunch from old to new, and no difference from one to another I have ever determined. They all get software updates periodically...

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Mine shows v5.9.0...

Hmm.. looks like I’ll have to live without Qobuz. Wasn‘t too impressed with the overall user interface anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I‘ll leave it at that. Don’t want to turn this into a Qobuz thread.

Top Bottom