• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the original review left some members at a loose end because the best measurements were obtained using Roon.

Subsequent posts requested that Amirm test the CCA directly from Tidal to rule out any influence that Roon could have on the results.

Unfortunately, I dont think his ever happened, even though Amirm found test signals on Tidal.

Hope it’s not too late!

I believe the conclusion was casting from chrome was horrible (eg tidal Web app) but that Google had provided app/sw providers with the relevant info to enable bit perfect. I assume the tidal app is one such, with many others.

I work on assumption that if the app has casting enabled in the app, it should by now be but perfect.

Roberto

I believe the conclusion was casting from chrome was horrible (eg tidal Web app) but that Google had provided app/sw providers with the relevant info to enable bit perfect. I assume the tidal app is one such, with many others.

I work on assumption that if the app has casting enabled in the app, it should by now be but perfect.

You are correct, and these are my assumptions too. However, it would have been good to have it tested.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The CCA analog output wasn't exceptionally good though IIRC?
In my personal experiences the "linearity" test has had the largest impact on actual SQ when I compared different devices.

This is in regards to devices that I listened to and made my own judgements of before they were tested here by Amir (thus there was no measurement bias to go on).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been conducting these tests on various DACs using a playlist which I am quite familiar with.

So no level matching?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my personal experiences the "linearity" test has had the largest impact on actual SQ when I compared different devices.

This is in regards to devices that I listened to and made my own judgements of before they were tested here by Amir (thus there was no measurement bias to go on).

It was 90 something SINAD I think. Not stellar, but not broken. Might well have been 2v ish too. Which makes it no worse or less useable than a lot of stuff out there. For the $ it cost it was phenomenal value as a standalone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Screenshot_20200506-193636.png
Screenshot_20200506-193705.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on the nature of the files streamed by Spotify, Spotify may be the limiting factor in audio quality; is it streaming better than MP3?

Premium is 320 kbps ogg vorbis. Standard is 160 kbps.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a bunch of Chromecast Audios and I don't like their analog output either. One of the few things I can consistently nail blind (other changing source and not telling me which one is playing). Test conditions were two chromecast playing the same music through the same chain, one optical output to Linn optical input, one line out playing to Linn line in. Levels matched as best as I could (soundmeter). No idea if it is the consequence of interferences, internal resampling in the Chromecast, or something else though.

In the same room and in a similar test, I had a very hard time telling Focal Scala Utopia v2 and Giya G3 apart after their frequency response was matched (at least aimed at the same target). The differences with the Chromecasts were much more significant, hard to describe without using subjective language though.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So no level matching?
Of course level matching by ear, it took me sometime to match the levels as I can distinguish more evidently on my headphones. And later it became clearly evident on my speakers as well. I am sensible audiophile, don't spend money on flagship gear or new releases, did learn it the hard way but that's what this hobby is all about.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
IMO In a double blind test with equalized levels there is no way to differentiate the analog output of the CCA and the rme adi-2 pro.
It is not proven though, you are still assuming here. By the way, I did the same ear matched A/B tests with Topping NX4DSD and Chord Mojo and couldn't distinguish between the two and decided to sell Mojo afterwards. Like I said I trust my ears with the aid of technical information. I did a test right now on my speakers and the clarity coming out of D50 as compared to CCA analogue out is on a different level. You don't have to trust my assessments and judgements, if you are happy with CCA analogue out then you can save even more money. Good for you.

oldsysop

It is not proven though, you are still assuming here. By the way, I did the same ear matched A/B tests with Topping NX4DSD and Chord Mojo and couldn't distinguish between the two and decided to sell Mojo afterwards. Like I said I trust my ears with the aid of technical information. I did a test right now on my speakers and the clarity coming out of D50 as compared to CCA analogue out is on a different level. You don't have to trust my assessments and judgements, if you are happy with CCA analogue out then you can save even more money. Good for you.
No, in fact my CCA is connected to the RME.
Why ?
Because I'm stupid.
At equal levels, not heard, I cannot hear the difference.
In any case the RME gives me other benefits, but sonically auditory they are the same.

DDF

Premium is 320 kbps ogg vorbis. Standard is 160 kbps.

Wish it was true for chromecast. Spotify cast to Chromecast transcodes from OGG to 256kbs AAC. Nice that Tidal High to Chromecast isn't transcoded, so I reach for that unless its just background listening

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course level matching by ear

Doesn't work. The ear doesn't perceive small level differences (1-2 dB) as volume differences, but a difference in "clarity" and "quality".

Willem

Major Contributor
I have been impressed by the quality of the analogue output of the CCA, both from the published measurements from Archimago and by listening myself. I had one as input into my old Quad 33 preamp. When I replaced that with an ADI-2 and started using the digital output the sound was cleaner. However I could not do any double blind testing. I think it was real but not necessarily to be attributed to the different CCA outputs. My Quad 33 preamp is a really old design after all and measurements are pretty marginal by modern standards. So the difference was probably due to the preamp vs RME DAC rather than the quality of the CCA.
Anyway, the good news is that the CCA is really good, but the bad news is that it has been discontinued.
By the way, people should realize that the so called high dynamic range setting is just higher output voltage. If the input sensitivity of your preamp is high this setting is to ve avoided in favour of the lower output voltage.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Doesn't work. The ear doesn't perceive small level differences (1-2 dB) as volume differences, but a difference in "clarity" and "quality".
At least you agree that ear can differentiate the clarity and quality :)

Top Bottom