• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark HPA4 Headphone Amp/Pre

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are 5 new 16 channel HT processors shown or announced at CEDIA. These product are increasing digital. Most likely digitizing analog inputs.

The HPA4/LA4 are both 2 channel preamplifiers and can be used in an HT bypass configuration. I am still hoping for a firmware update that support direct input selection. It seems like a no brainer. What say you Benchmark? ;)

- Rich

tobes

The HPA4/LA4 are both 2 channel preamplifiers and can be used in an HT bypass configuration. I am still hoping for a firmware update that support direct input selection. It seems like a no brainer.

The HPA4 has 4 analog inputs, meaning a maximum of 3 button presses to change to your desired analog source. Are a couple of extra button presses such a big deal if you watch a movie? It isn't for me, but then I primarily use the HPA4 for listening to music.:)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HPA4 has 4 analog inputs, meaning a maximum of 3 button presses to change to your desired analog source. Are a couple of extra button presses such a big deal if you watch a movie? It isn't for me, but then I primarily use the HPA4 for listening to music.:)

This is unreliable when programming an activity on a remote. They sell an optional remote with 4 input buttons that do not do anything unless used with a companion Benchmark DAC. These are stand-alone products not a Benchmark DAC add on . You do realize that I have 5 AHB2s and an LA4, this suggestion is coming from a friendly source. :facepalm:

- Rich

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is unreliable when programming an activity on a remote. They sell an optional remote with 4 input buttons that do not do anything unless used with a companion Benchmark DAC. These are stand-alone products not a BenchmarkDAC add on . You do realize that I have 5 AHB2s and an LA4, this suggestion is coming from a friendly source. :facepalm:
Amen.

Last edited:

tobes

This is unreliable when programming an activity on a remote. They sell an optional remote with 4 input buttons that do not do anything unless used with a companion Benchmark DAC. These are stand-alone products not a Benchmark DAC add on . You do realize that I have 5 AHB2s and an LA4, this suggestion is coming from a friendly source. :facepalm:

- Rich
Fair enough I can see that being an issue for some.
There are certainly changes I would like to the HPA4 screen interface, eg - space re-allocated from logo to volume/source fonts, remote balance adjustment.
The change you're seeking shouldn't be hard to implement.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough I can see that being an issue for some.
There are certainly changes I would like to the HPA4 screen interface, eg - space re-allocated from logo to volume/source fonts, remote balance adjustment.
The change you're seeking shouldn't be hard to implement.

Absolutely! I'd like to read the volume setting instead of the logo from my seated position.

Here is a list of features and issues I sent to Benchmark.

Issues and Feature suggestions

1. ISSUE: Fixed Volume Input Setup is retained when returning to another results is massive volume and potential speaker damage.
I was blasted out of my chair twice after setting the HT bypass input and return to the DAC input. I had to dive for the volume to avoid damaging the Salon2’s.

Recommendation: Please consider lowering the volume or retaining the input’s last volume when exiting from the Input Setup screen.

1. ISSUE: The LA4 does not support discrete input selection via the remote.
Customers assume that an HPA4/LA4 inputs can be directly selected using the purchased remote D1 to D4 buttons. They bought the remote and the buttons are not serving any other purpose when the unit is not paired with a Benchmark DAC. In my case, I use the Oppo 205 DAC but this is also a dual use device. It is also a Roon endpoint, another huge plus.

Recommendation: Implement an LA4 Remote mode or additional IR commands to provide discrete selection of inputs. Ideally a Remote configuration option could be added for HPA4/LA4 mode to allow D1 to D4 to select inputs 1-4.

1. Feature: Power-On Volume Setting (Global)
This is a convenience feature that allows setting the power-on volume to a reasonably low level. It is usefully when powering on late at night to avoid accidentally waking the household from an inherited high-level. It is best as a global setting that applies to any volume controlled input (input that is not set for a fixed volume). For backward compatibility, the setting choices could include “LAST” to power on each input’s last volume.

1. Feature: Maximum Volume Setting (Global)
This is a safety feature to avoid damaging the system, for example, kid-proofing. It is best a global setting that applies to any volume-controlled input. For backward compatibility, the setting could include a disabled option. On my system, +12 blasted (used for HT) produced a very loud and distorted signal.

1. Feature: Large Volume Display (Active Input Screen)
At 12 feet away, I cannot see the volume. The bar chart is available but acceptable volume fall in about 15% of the chart that is not easily discerned.
Please consider replacing the large “LA4” on the input display with the current volume in an equal or larger font. The smaller version could be removed.

1. Feature: Display On (Timed or Toggled)
When the LA4 is set to dim or off, there is no way to view the volume without changing the volume or input. A display option would be ideal that either turns on the display for a time governed by the screen settings or keeps the display on until toggled off.

- Rich

laidick

Forum Donor
Absolutely! I'd like to read the volume setting instead of the logo from my seated position.

Here is a list of features and issues I sent to Benchmark.

- Rich
The missing discrete input and HT bypass is the reason why I still didn't pull my trigger on LA4....
Sigh...

tobes

The missing discrete input and HT bypass is the reason why I still didn't pull my trigger on LA4....
Sigh...

While a discrete code for each analog input is missing from HPA4/LA4, any of the analog inputs can be configured as a fixed gain HT input.

Not specifically related to the HPA4, but I just received the software upgrade kit (ver 2.1) for my DAC3 and it includes a hex code for universal remotes to allow the direct selection of the 'A2' input (as well as the compatibility mode for HPA4/LA4 users mentioned above).
This is for DAC3 users using that device as a preamp and won't help with the direct input selection on the HPA4/LA4 - but it does indicate that Benchmark is responding to this issue.
I'd be surprised if a software upgrade down the track didn't provide a similar function for the HPA4/LA4.

Last edited:

laidick

Forum Donor
While a discrete code for each analog input is missing from HPA4/LA4, any of the analog inputs can be configured as a fixed gain HT input.

Not specifically related to the HPA4, but I just received the software upgrade kit (ver 2.1) for my DAC3 and it includes a hex code for universal remotes to allow the direct selection of the 'A2' input (as well as the compatibility mode for HPA4/LA4 users mentioned above).
This is for DAC3 users using that device as a preamp and won't help with the direct input selection on the HPA4/LA4 - but it does indicate that Benchmark is responding to this issue.
I'd be surprised if a software upgrade down the track didn't provide a similar function for the HPA4/LA4.
Yeah but they still don't do anything on that....
The features listed by RichB are definitely pushing this preamp into a perfect product.

tobes

Yeah but they still don't do anything on that....
Its unfortunate they didn't change things when you snapped your fingers - but I get your frustration.;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only big criticism of my DAC3HGC/AHB2 combo is the push buttons. I don't know... maybe they are industrial strength and made to last. But they kind of seem flimsy. I don't remote, so that's not a big deal for me. I occasionally switch from A1 analog to USB. That's about it. I don't use the amp switch because it's triggered to the DAC3.

Cosmetically I'd prefer it to look like Accuphase, but that's a personal thing. The set takes up less space than anything else, and the LEDs are not too bright. For pro oriented gear inside the home, it's simple enough to use.

xhattan

I would love to see the measurements of the Beyerdynamic A1. Had it for some years now, paired with the Beyer T90, Fostex TH 500RP, and Senn 650. Stunning, specially the T90.

Tommygun

I would recommend doing a double blind test to see if there is actually any audible difference...

I haven't done a double blind test but I've done a lot of back to back listening comparing the DAC3 HGC volume control to the LA4 and I stand by my earlier review.

Tommygun

Check the Benchmark web site - there is a firmware (chip) upgrade available for the DAC3: https://benchmarkmedia.com/products...hgc-and-dac3-l-version-2-0-released-9-18-2018

The upgrade provides a HPA4/LA4 compatibility mode which deletes the DIM/mute functions and also the 'arrow' input select buttons from the DAC3. The HPA4/LA4 then provides Dim/mute and the remote input select arrows are used for preamp inputs. The direct select input buttons on the Benchmark remote are used to select DAC input.

This avoids getting DAC/pre in conflicting states or having a flashing unused digital input selected on the DAC when you've used the arrow keys to select a another analog input on the pre etc.
I've ordered the update chip, but there is a cheap fix. Just place a bit of tape over the remote receiver on the DAC3. I rarely change digital input on the DAC3 and switch it on via a HPA4 trigger, so this made remote functionality of the HPA4 far better for me.

Thanks for the link. I've checked it out but I don't see why Benchmark are charging for a firmware upgrade. These should be free to all purchasers of the product.

Hemi-Demon

Check the Benchmark web site - there is a firmware (chip) upgrade available for the DAC3: https://benchmarkmedia.com/products...hgc-and-dac3-l-version-2-0-released-9-18-2018

The upgrade provides a HPA4/LA4 compatibility mode which deletes the DIM/mute functions and also the 'arrow' input select buttons from the DAC3. The HPA4/LA4 then provides Dim/mute and the remote input select arrows are used for preamp inputs. The direct select input buttons on the Benchmark remote are used to select DAC input.

This avoids getting DAC/pre in conflicting states or having a flashing unused digital input selected on the DAC when you've used the arrow keys to select a another analog input on the pre etc.
I've ordered the update chip, but there is a cheap fix. Just place a bit of tape over the remote receiver on the DAC3. I rarely change digital input on the DAC3 and switch it on via a HPA4 trigger, so this made remote functionality of the HPA4 far better for me.

That's pretty poor customer service to charge $59 for a firmware update.

doug

That's pretty poor customer service to charge $59 for a firmware update.

I think the upgrade is aimed towards customers who want to use a third-party IR programmable remote control, instead of the one that comes from Benchmark. In that case, the cost seems justified to me, and in no way constitutes poor customer service.

laidick

Forum Donor
Is anyone using Logitech harmony remote for the HPA4 or LA4?
I couldn't find them from harmony device list.

Top Bottom