• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aune X1S DAC & Amp

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum here, but have been comparing DACs for the last couple of months. I currently own a Edirol UA-25 DA/AD converter (a recording device like the Behringer UMC202HD) which is more than 10 years old and want to upgrade my system and have a more dedicated DAC (instead of a recording device).

I just saw that the AUNE X8 was launched in Europe, where I live, and seems to be the successor of the X1s (can't find any information on the official Aune site). It uses the ESS9038 DAC chip, comes with a linear power supply and multiple opamps which enables sound tuning. Compared to the X1s, they got rid of the headphone amplifier (which means I get more bang for buck ;) )

Does anybody has some thoughts on this new Aune DAC?

I heard Aune generally does a decent job in the sub $400 segment (which is approximately my budget for either new or second-hand DACs), so should I include it in my current shortlist, consisting of: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Topping D50, Micromega MyDac?

Thanks guys!

View attachment 21833View attachment 21834View attachment 21835

https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/products/aune-x8-magical-dac-32-768k-dsd512-silver.html

Aune is a solid brand with a very good reputation, and the X8's launching price @ €229 is very attractive, indeed.
IMHO, I will add the SMSL SU8 to your short list, which is another solid machine, with the XLR balanced outputs as additional feature.
Make sure the Aune's Dutch dealer offers a solid return policy, so that you can buy the X8 with confidence with enough time to test it in your environment.
Amazon sells the SMSL SU8 @ € 210 or so, and you get the "no-pain" return option which Amazon is known for.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum here, but have been comparing DACs for the last couple of months. I currently own a Edirol UA-25 DA/AD converter (a recording device like the Behringer UMC202HD) which is more than 10 years old and want to upgrade my system and have a more dedicated DAC (instead of a recording device).

I just saw that the AUNE X8 was launched in Europe, where I live, and seems to be the successor of the X1s (can't find any information on the official Aune site). It uses the ESS9038 DAC chip, comes with a linear power supply and multiple opamps which enables sound tuning. Compared to the X1s, they got rid of the headphone amplifier (which means I get more bang for buck ;) )

Does anybody has some thoughts on this new Aune DAC?

I heard Aune generally does a decent job in the sub $400 segment (which is approximately my budget for either new or second-hand DACs), so should I include it in my current shortlist, consisting of: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Topping D50, Micromega MyDac?

Thanks guys!

View attachment 21833View attachment 21834View attachment 21835

https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/products/aune-x8-magical-dac-32-768k-dsd512-silver.html
From their own specs looks like the X1S anniversary with the 9018 chip actually measures better. But the X8 has the opamp rolling thing if you're into tweaking. Either would be a fine choice. The D50 and the Pro-ject have been rated here to be good, too.

Even the micromega you mention seems just fine http://thehbproject.com/nl/testen/135/4/Micromega-MyDAC-d/a-converter---Meten

tough call ;) I agree with @graz_lag that the SU-8 is a solid choice too if you want balanced now or in the future.

Last edited:

Koen

Aune is a solid brand with a very good reputation, and the X8's launching price @ €229 is very attractive, indeed.
IMHO, I will add the SMSL SU8 to your short list, which is another solid machine, with the XLR balanced outputs as additional feature.
Make sure the Aune's Dutch dealer offers a solid return policy, so that you can buy the X8 with confidence with enough time to test it in your environment.
Amazon sells the SMSL SU8 @ € 210 or so, and you get the "no-pain" return option which Amazon is known for.

Thanks for your info graz_lag! Indeed, if I buy it at a company with a return option, I can just try it out and send it back otherwise to see whether sound quality actually improves. Will look into that.

Koen

From their own specs looks like the X1S anniversary with the 9018 chip actually measures better. But the X8 has the opamp rolling thing if you're into tweaking. Either would be a fine choice. The D50 and the Pro-ject have been rated here to be good, too.

Even the micromega you mention seems just fine http://thehbproject.com/nl/testen/135/4/Micromega-MyDAC-d/a-converter---Meten

tough call ;) I agree with @graz_lag that the SU-8 is just great too.

It's a really tough call! And although the MyDAC has lower specs an measurements than some other DACs, it's praised for its musicality, soundstage and 'musical sound'. Those criteria are hard to measure and, of course, very subjective, but IMHO a combination of both good measurements and sound quality is also important. A sound DAC design is as important as a enjoyable listening experience :D .

Veri

Master Contributor
It's a really tough call! And although the MyDAC has lower specs an measurements than some other DACs, it's praised for its musicality, soundstage and 'musical sound'. Those criteria are hard to measure and, of course, very subjective, but IMHO a combination of both good measurements and sound quality is also important. A sound DAC design is as important as a enjoyable listening experience :D .
I don't really think you can go wrong with the myDAC looking at the dutch tests, if you are interested in it give it a go. Amazon surely sells it with return policy too.

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Just a bit out of the topic ... ;)
One cannot avoid a direct listening in his environment (setups and rooms) especially as far as today' DACs are involved.
It is not sure at all one might expect to get the same type of "musicality, soundstage, musical sound" - as from a 20 years old DAC, with an Aune, SMSL, Topping. These are very transparent-neutral-clean-analytical-precise DACs, so these render what is called "fatiguing sound".
Distortion is not always avoided, sometime it is deliberated added by engineers to appeal to "audiophiles" who have a preference for that fullness and depth, with some warmth, smoother edges, so what is called "non fatiguing sound". Especially when some low order harmonic distortion is added, or not avoided, in the design.

I went to see a friend with my Topping DX7S over the last weekend, he has an Audio-GD NFB28. For no reason he would swap the two, and me neither, and we both have opposite reasons for not doing the swap ! :facepalm:

Last edited:

dropbear

I bought an S6 months ago from Massdrop but had not had a chance to fully review it. It does look very nice.
Agreed, they have really nailed the design for sure. I reckon it could get even some wife acceptance factor bonus points!
By the way, that one is "just" the original, but still, it will be nice to see how it fairs, now when it is EoL it will be be on sale everywhere so some guys may have an another winner there.

tired_guru

@amirm

Which xmos driver did you use during the test ? The one that comes on mini flash drive inside the box or the newest one from official aune website ?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so... this or the EL DAC?

tired_guru

so... this or the EL DAC?
I heard this as a DAC with JDS atom. It was breathtaking combo. As a bonus you have possibility to change digital filters built-in in 9018k2m "on the fly". As another bonus there is quite nice headamp in it. For dt880 600 & fostex th610 i much preferred atom, there was no question about it. But for instance for something like hd600, liked aune's headamp better.

As a DAC, it's measurements amongst the best ever tested here. Especially THD, low level linearity & Dynamics. Not even mentioning how clean is the jitter. Look at the average level, this is almost impossible (most at -150dB). Don't even mention reliability and years of great reputation of this company. Great USB separation.

Stacking atom on x1s is superb even though x1s is a bit curved on the top. Checked that twice. Rubber on the bottom of atom does great job to keep it in place.

The only thing I missed so much after the review is TOSLINK jitter test by Audio Precision. Then I could have my ultimate DAC if it is immune on optical input. :(

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

tired_guru

From the review:

:)

Ah, true. :) Still can't believe they (M$) finally managed to do it :> 8.1 x64/Linux here.

Are you still in the possession of the unit ? :) Is there a chance to have j-test on toslink input ? Please, please, please :) I promise it is for the last time ! Because with this level of performance I am not interested in any other DACs, no matter the price ...

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor

tired_guru

Last edited:

tired_guru

Krunok

Major Contributor
Of course.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-benchmark-dac3.3545/post-90519

Check the discussion there from this point between a few experts and their explanation.

And here, just have a look at for instance topping DX7 measurements which uses also ess 9018k2m dac inside - and there is no IMD hump:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...on-hump-on-topping-and-others.3813/post-90933

Hmm, yeah I read that post long ago... If DAC chip is not a problem why do we have hump on several DACs which also have true balanced design?

DX7 may not have the hump just because it uses 9018K2M. Until proved otherwise it may as well be hump is only specific to some newer ESS chips.

tired_guru

Hmm, yeah I read that post long ago... If DAC chip is not a problem why do we have hump on several DACs which also have true balanced design?

DX7 may not have the hump just because it uses 9018K2M. Until proved otherwise it may as well be hump is only specific to some newer ESS chips.
AUNE X1S uses the same chip and has the hump, so ... :) It can't be the dac chip itself but the application. It is quite irrelevant because I don't think we ca hear it anyway...

Top Bottom