• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aune X1S DAC & Amp

Esp3n89

Hi @Kanbara the dac tested here is the 10th anniversary edition, you can tell because of the '10' in the bottom left corner in the pictures @amirm has taken. The performance in this review is of the anniversary edition, it's the best version to get.

The even newer version is the X1S 'Pro' which actually seems to perform worse than X1S Anniversary.

How is the pro performing worse? Has there been any tests done?
Im looking for a new dac and amp. Either separate or combined and the Aune x1s Anniversary and Pro is on my list. Also KTB and Atom is on my list and looking to "win" my order atm :p

Veri

Master Contributor
How is the pro performing worse? Has there been any tests done?
Im looking for a new dac and amp. Either separate or combined and the Aune x1s Anniversary and Pro is on my list. Also KTB and Atom is on my list and looking to "win" my order atm :p
Check the screenshots I posted, they're from Aune. They are also using an AP analyser! Definitely cool.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-aune-x1s-dac-amp.6535/page-6#post-168982

All newest Aune products come with AP spec dashboard:
Aune X8 averaged -101.95dB THD+N or 0.000798% distortion
Aune X1S Pro averaged -105.135dB THD+N or 0.000553% distortion
Aune S6 Pro averaged -107.551dB THD+N or 0.000419% distortion
calculated via http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-thd.htm

Now compare to Aune X1S 10th Anniversary using 9018K2M chip:
0,000279% distortion! still the best out of all these lol. They made it a little too good ;) probably the switch to cheaper power supply in X1S 'Pro' made it perform worse. Or some other design trade-off, I'm not sure.

NOTE however that most aune dac/amp combo's have rather high impedance output. This will mess with low impedance headphones.

Last edited:

Yuno

They made it a little too good ;) probably the switch to cheaper power supply in X1S 'Pro' made it perform worse. Or some other design trade-off, I'm not sure.

Honestly, I think this is exactly it. 10th anniversary having linear PSU kinda made their dedicated linear PSU redundant. I'm almost sure this is why they dropped it for the pro version. Either this or cost. Or people were complaining about non-standard connector... frankly, I did, until I learned why 5 pin is important here.

That aside, I think claims about performance should wait until we have full picture. For instance, if they lowered output impedance, I would already consider it an improvement despite worse SINAD.

yqzh

Now compare to Aune X1S 10th Anniversary using 9018K2M chip:
0,000279% distortion! still the best out of all these lol. They made it a little too good ;) probably the switch to cheaper power supply in X1S 'Pro' made it perform worse. Or some other design trade-off, I'm not sure.

I'm hoping this holds true, but I will wait for further information. I am on the market for an X1s, either 10th anniversary or this new Pro model. I'm hedging the former doesn't increase in price if it still reigns superior.

Yuno

I'm hedging the former doesn't increase in price if it still reigns superior.

It won't. You will see sales of 10th very soon too, to get rid of surplus stock. In fact, I already see some in my country. Most people don't really care about measurements, and they are not even that wrong about it in this case, since we are really in the area of inaudible differences here. Most would pick pro one simply because it has pro tier DAC as opposed to mobile one used in 10th anniversary. And because it's newer. So new people will pretty much always pick new product, old owners like me who value measurements will see no point in upgrading, and some people will be able to grab a nice deal on the older ones.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
It won't. You will see sales of 10th very soon too, to get rid of surplus stock. In fact, I already see some in my country. Most people don't really care about measurements, and they are not even that wrong about it in this case, since we are really in the area of inaudible differences here. Most would pick pro one simply because it has pro tier DAC as opposed to mobile one used in 10th anniversary. And because it's newer. So new people will pretty much always pick new product, old owners like me who value measurements will see no point in upgrading, and some people will be able to grab a nice deal on the older ones.

The new X1S Pro will definitely be using a mobile 9038Q2M chip, too. 9038Pro is way too expensive for this price range (although the Pro price at audiophonics is €299... quite expensive! X1S 10th even more worth it now lol).

Yuno

The new X1S Pro will definitely be using a mobile 9038Q2M chip, too. 9038Pro is way too expensive for this price range (although the Pro price at audiophonics is €299... quite expensive! X1S 10th even more worth it now lol).

I think €300 was original msrp for 10th as well (in EU with tax included), that's how much I paid for mine. It was only later on that massdrop made this unit much more affordable and prices started to drop. Regarding chip, maybe you are right, I kind of assumed it will use pro chip since it has pro in name.

Hemi-Demon

These are so cheap now. I need an office setup, without some of the quality control issues with the dx3pro. The output impedance on the x1s is pretty high, if my iems are 10ohm and very sensitive, do folks think this will hiss like crazy and negatively impact the iem frequency response ?

Yuno

These are so cheap now. I need an office setup, without some of the quality control issues with the dx3pro. The output impedance on the x1s is pretty high, if my iems are 10ohm and very sensitive, do folks think this will hiss like crazy and negatively impact the iem frequency response ?

Don't get x1s for iems. Putting all issues that come with impedance mismatch aside, you will just not be able to use volume knob with such sensitive earphones. I use x1s at 9-12 o'clock with 300 Ohm HD600, for the record. There is no low gain mode.

frankh

I've found the X1S Anniversary Edition to have a warmer sound and particularly suitable for bright headphones. I like to pair it with my HifiMan Sundara.

yqzh

I've found the X1S Anniversary Edition to have a warmer sound and particularly suitable for bright headphones. I like to pair it with my HifiMan Sundara.

Perfect, as I plan to pair them with Beyerdynamic DT 1990s.

Though the concern is whether or not to wait for local stockists to carry the new X1S Pro.. There are no Canadian sellers - including Amazon - for the X1S (classic or Anniversary Edition) which results in purchase of ebay or American Amazon with the likelihood of paying extra on customs taxes.

Veri

Master Contributor
There are no Canadian sellers - including Amazon - for the X1S (classic or Anniversary Edition) which results in purchase of ebay or American Amazon with the likelihood of paying extra on customs taxes.

Can you buy from amazon.com direct? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014FBZCCA/
In my experience all customs/taxes are calculated during ordering, no surprises.

jimtaylor

I have a quick question for you guys. I have the Aune T1 and the Aune x1s 10th. The power supply on the Aune T1 seems to be having issues. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you know of any after market power supplies that would work?

Would splitting my Aune x1s power supply with this work?

https://smile.amazon.com/rhinocable...9&s=gateway&sprefix=5+pin+DIN,aps,234&sr=8-16

Or would these PSU's work?

https://www.jameco.com/z/GP25A13D-R...ndustrial-Table-Top-Power-Supply_2254160.html
https://www.jameco.com/z/MKD6612340...-Table-Top-Power-Supply-12V-3-4A_2197898.html

Dean023

I had been very interested in this unit until I discovered that unlike its predecessors it does not have a variable line output. So it will not work as a pre amp.[/QUOTE that is my pet hate too. They go to such great lengths to make a great performing dac and omit a simple analogue potentiometer for a variable output.

Dongulus

I have a quick question for you guys. I have the Aune T1 and the Aune x1s 10th. The power supply on the Aune T1 seems to be having issues. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you know of any after market power supplies that would work?

Would splitting my Aune x1s power supply with this work?

https://smile.amazon.com/rhinocables-Splitter-7-8inch-Extension-Headphone/dp/B075CTQFKH/ref=sr_1_16?crid=AAZRZ8BWWYQS&keywords=5+pin+din+connector+male&qid=1557856899&s=gateway&sprefix=5+pin+DIN,aps,234&sr=8-16

Or would these PSU's work?

https://www.jameco.com/z/GP25A13D-R...ndustrial-Table-Top-Power-Supply_2254160.html
https://www.jameco.com/z/MKD6612340...-Table-Top-Power-Supply-12V-3-4A_2197898.html

You might already have a solution, but I wanted to chime in.

I assume that the power supply for the T1 has the same pinout as the X1S since Aune sells their external linear supply which works for both products. I have rescued a couple of Aune X1S from eBay, both with the same failure which was the power supply. I did a quick search and didn't find a replacement supply from Aune nor a suitable aftermarket (besides their XP1, but it's pricier than I wanted to pay). Unfortunately neither of the power supplies you linked to are suitable. The power supply for the X1S is a dual 15 VAC supply. The pinout is:
1 - 15VAC (+15VDC)
2 - NC
3 - COM
4 - NC
5 - 15VAC (-15VDC)
It's possible to also use a DC supply, but it's important to get the positive and negative on the correct pins.
The DIN connector doesn't have pin numbers. Looking at the socket on the back of the unit, I'm calling the left most pin 1 and the right most pin 5.
Admittedly I gave up the search for a replacement supply fairly quickly because I opened up the power supply and found it to consist of a single transformer so I felt it was easier to find a replacement for the transformer. I went with this transformer for both of the supplies I fixed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EI57-15W-1...var=461911360943&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
This is rated for dual 24VAC from 220VAC mains. I'm in the USA where we have 110VAC so with this winding ratio the output is around 12VAC. Though not 15VAC, this is suitable as I have found my unit powers up with DC as low as 9VDC.

Soldering in the new transformer isn't a hugely difficult task, just needing a soldering iron, some wire strippers, and electrical tape/heat shrink tubing.

12vac + 25% voltage = aprox 15vac-16vac. That is the secundary voltage of that transformer. 15vac x aprox 1.35 = 20vdc. This is a final dc voltage. So your transformer will work very good for the 15vdc regulated output voltage.

Dongulus

12vac + 25% voltage = aprox 15vac-16vac. That is the secundary voltage of that transformer. 15vac x aprox 1.35 = 20vdc. This is a final dc voltage. So your transformer will work very good for the 15vdc regulated output voltage.
Isn't VAC the RMS voltage? Meaning that 12VAC is the AC voltage that has the equivolent power to 12VDC. This would correspond to 12V/0.707 or 17V amplitude.

Isn't VAC the RMS voltage? Meaning that 12VAC is the AC voltage that has the equivolent power to 12VDC. This would correspond to 12V/0.707 or 17V amplitude.

Theoretical is correct. Practically the output voltage of the transformer isn't 12vac, there is a voltage regulation factor which will rise up the voltage of the secondary windings at light load. In that type of small transformers, +25% secondary voltage is very common. So, you will have an aprox 15vac in reality. Then you don't have exactly x1.41 factor in a rectifying process, you will have a 1.4v voltage loss over the rectifier bridge.

But, I see in a pics the X1S power supply with 12Vac and for T1 are 15Vac.

Dongulus

Theoretical is correct. Practically the output voltage of the transformer isn't 12vac, there is a voltage regulation factor which will rise up the voltage of the secondary windings at light load. In that type of small transformers, +25% secondary voltage is very common. So, you will have an aprox 15vac in reality. Then you don't have exactly x1.41 factor in a rectifying process, you will have a 1.4v voltage loss over the rectifier bridge.

For some reason I thought the X1S power supply was 15VAC, but I'm looking at mine now and see that it's actually 12V. Looks like the T1 is 15VAC looking at pics online. Aune sells the XP1 which is the linear DC supply that works for the T1 but the DC supply is rated for 13V, so it seems that the T1 can operate on a bit lower voltage.

Top Bottom