• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aune X1S DAC & Amp

Yuno

Too bad it's not balanced. Otherwise it takes the price/performance crown.
It depends on what you are looking for. Output impedance is too high, and functionality of this device is limited. While it has 2 outputs, RCA is fixed and therefore require use of preamp. I used it with jds labs ol switcher, but fiddling with volume knobs every time you want to switch from headphones to speakers is not ideal.
I switched to dx3 pro purely due to the ability to change outputs, and volume controlled RCA. If you are looking just for something to drive headphones (and not low impedance ones) then aune is great.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah, you are right, it's 5 pin DIN socket. Point is, it is standardized socket (commonly used in midi keyboards), although it's usage here is quite strange.
It is actually an option on higher power external of-the-shelf power supplies. They usually run two pairs in parallel to increase the current carrying capability.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They usually run two pairs in parallel to increase the current carrying capability.
TIL. Thanks!

Alas this does not appear to be the case here: A previous member mentioned that they have dissected the jack and found only two wires.

Jimmy

I think amir is right, I didn't read the label print before but the power supply is AC, not DC, so it is 12-0-12 VAC. Probably it gets summed up to 24V.

Anyway for externally powered gear I always prefer 12V or 15V DC, this way the power supply can be replaced/upgraded for cheap with a good SMPS.

TIL. Thanks!

Alas this does not appear to be the case here: A previous member mentioned that they have dissected the jack and found only two wires.

Jimmy

In the end I'm not sure if it's AC or DC, another picture from the bottom if the unit says +-12V 0.8A, there are several revisions of the X1S so I don't know which is right.

Anyway it's common in audio gear to use AC external power supplies, in case of equipment that uses small signal tubes it's more likely to find it since it simplifies the internal power supply design.

Why would they use an AC wall-wart? Doesn't it get converted to DC at some point anyway?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why would they use an AC wall-wart? Doesn't it get converted to DC at some point anyway?
Because you can generate negative voltage out of AC easily, but can't do the same with DC (need a switching supply for that).

yummy

+/- DC is rare, only some pro gears are using (SMPS), if you need linear you need to self-build it (PCB are selling on the net, but not funny)

GeekyBastard

Interesting! :) thanks for sharing

but is that.. some kind of.. op-amp rolling kit included??! Dear god.
No, it says you can change the op-amp through it's bottom's little window, they'll give you a chip puller with the machine.

Willem

Major Contributor
The new one has a pre amp output, which solves one of the two usability issues. Still only one optical and one coaxial input each though.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
No, it says you can change the op-amp through it's bottom's little window, they'll give you a chip puller with the machine.

Is the hifidiy.net community still active in mainland China ? I am not receiving any newletter from them since 2014 ...

GeekyBastard

Is the hifidiy.net community still active in mainland China ? I am not receiving any newletter from them since 2014 ...
Yes, the website and forum are still alive, it's actually their 15 years anniversary this year!:D

Yuno

The new one has a pre amp output, which solves one of the two usability issues.
Actually, no, it's exactly the same as old one. It has 2 outputs, 1 volume controlled, one not. I don't see any switch between two either. The major difference is they moved both outputs to back of the device as RCA. There is no jack out at all, so 6,3 jack out on x1s got turned into RCA pre outs.
I assume they want people to use x8 as a combo with their x7s amp, in which case you can use RCA pre-amps for speakers and line outs for x7s, which has it's own volume control. Actually that is a pretty nice setup but involves quite a lot of fiddling with volume knobs and quite costly.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Yes, the website and forum are still alive, it's actually their 15 years anniversary this year!:D

Good, so does Aune still involved in this hifidiy.net as it was before ?
Aune has really been among the very first Chinese brands to build devices up to the western standards, well before SMSL Topping Gustard ...
I like Aune.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno, Shanling have been around for decades and have made some properly good stuff. And of course there was the $200 Chinese amplifier sold by Mark Levinson under his Red Rose brand at an $1800 or thereabouts mark up.....

Top Bottom