• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aune X1S DAC & Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm,
I guess you measured this with the supplied PSU.

Aune also sells an extra PSU (Aune XP1) and claims improvement with it.

http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/136.html

I owned two XP1 for both my X1S and X7S at the time...with probably no audible improvements. Would be curious to see if this may be saw in measurements.
I did test it with stock supply. I don't have the optional one to test but can say with very high confidence that it won't make a difference.

folzag

bump @amirm,
Did you at least do a quick check on the other digital inputs? Seems like execution on those is not always commiserate with whatever is going on with the USB input.

Similarly, I'd be interested in how it does with the line-in's. That's kind of a unique feature among these DAC-amp combos.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry I have already packed the unit to send back. It has been here too long and I am getting constant questions on "where is my review." I have to get to new products that have come....

J3ff_Leopard

I felt sorry for owner every time I noticed it was still in the queue. Perhaps we can give him a special knighthood for service to the cause.

Hey, I'm the owner of this unit. I honestly didn't mind the wait. If it helps someone make a more informed decision, it's worth it in the grand scheme of things. Plus now when I use it I'll know exactly how it performs since mine was the actual unit tested, which is a little neat to me :cool:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
One of my buddies in the audio scene has this unit. I'm not sure if its just the DAC or DAC/Amp or what but it looks like this one.

I just linked him the review so he can see how well it performs.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I think Aune has done a very good job in its engineering balance on this unit.

Under 3 Ohms output impedance isn't really bad except for the most sensitive of dynamic driver earphones / headphones. Which clearly this unit isn't targeted at serving (mostly). ( High sensitivity transducers probably won't get much use bounded to the desk though. )

Excellent measurements for those things that matter for its targeted use segment. Great to see another company that has engineering chops at the affordable end of the spectrum.

GeekyBastard

Aune X1S sells really well in China, I guess that's why, Good Measurement Data + Good Listening Experience + Low Price = A good selling Equipment.:D

Johnb

Hey, I'm the owner of this unit. I honestly didn't mind the wait. If it helps someone make a more informed decision, it's worth it in the grand scheme of things. Plus now when I use it I'll know exactly how it performs since mine was the actual unit tested, which is a little neat to me :cool:

I just knew you were a nice guy. Henceforce, you shall be known as Squire J3ff_Leopard!

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
I love seeing a product that has been popular for years amongst subjective reviewers measure well. It means that the large purchase base (from ZeosPantera's, Massdrop, Head-Fi et al.) actually has a well measuring and engineered device.

It can be quite depressing when a long-term popular product ends up being Schiit.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just noticed this is the 10th anniversary edition which is rated 200mW @300Ω, the older version (I own) was rated 80mW @300Ω.
Ahh you are right :)

Yuno

I hate proprietary connectors.

Apple's way ... You are forced to buy the extension cord from them ... Aune in this case ...

Just so we are in clear, this connector is not proprietary, it's so called midi cable, used for instance in midi keyboards. It took me 2 tries to get a fitting cable however, as first midi female to male cable I bought had pins that were too thick to fit into aune connector, on second try I got fitting one.
Still a very strange choice and I have no clue why they didn't use simple dc connector.

ishmeister

Just so we are in clear, this connector is not proprietary, it's so called midi cable, used for instance in midi keyboards. It took me 2 tries to get a fitting cable however, as first midi female to male cable I bought had pins that were too thick to fit into aune connector, on second try I got fitting one.
Still a very strange choice and I have no clue why they didn't use simple dc connector.
Same as the Topping A30. I believe it's called a DIN socket.

Yuno

I believe it's called a DIN socket.

Yeah, you are right, it's 5 pin DIN socket. Point is, it is standardized socket (commonly used in midi keyboards), although it's usage here is quite strange.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Naim were another hifi manufacturer with a liking for DIN sockets for some reason.

Jimmy

The use of these kind of connectors is normally because the design requires both + and - voltages (dual rails), so there are two options, one is to use a power adapter that provides both (like the Aune), and the other is to use a rail splitter which allows to use a normal adapter with a barrel connector, which is the best in terms of compatibility with 3rd party power supplies, and preferable to allow an easy replacement without buying the original part from the manufacturer if it fails.

Yeah, you are right, it's 5 pin DIN socket. Point is, it is standardized socket (commonly used in midi keyboards), although it's usage here is quite strange.

Last edited:
Top Bottom