• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Lsc

If you are paying retail or close to it, Revel will certainly ship for free from it's warehouse. However, if you are buying from a dealer who has the F208 in stock, the dealer will end up paying for shipping. Even if Revel direct ships to the customer on a dealer purchase - they will charge the dealer a small shipping fee. So, if you negotiate 35% to 40% off the $5500 retail F208 price don't be surprised when the dealer wants to charge a reasonable fee to be reimbursed for the Revel dealer shipping charge. :D
I got amazing deals on both the F228Be and Voice2. But neither one was in stock and so they were drop shipped from the warehouse. Very few dealers stock so paying for freight is really not a concern if you get it drop shipped.

If the OP is buying F208 sight unseen, you can get it from any dealer…it doesn’t have to be the nearest dealer and no one will charge for drop shipping.

Ok this my last public service announcement. If anyone else comments on justifying paying more vs less, I’m just gonna let it go. PM me if you want more help.

I’m a huge Revel fan and have mostly Revel speakers at my house and have gotten nice deals by very good dealers over the years.

Pio

Forum Donor
I'm in Vegas and the closest Revel dealer, that actually stocks them, is a 6 hour drive. I've never heard the F208s, but after following this forum and Amir's review, I'm on the verge of buying a pair unheard. I understand the perils of this. I've suffered those perils previously, shamefully more than once, yet the options seem to be that, or loving what I got... which I do by the way. I found a dealer who will freight them all in for $4300 brand new. I figure that any pair that I buy, I need to add $500 in freight, for some dealers also tax which amounts to another $300. So my current rationalization is that I'm paying $3500 for them, plus shipping and tax. I have nothing but respect for you guys and your input. So, what are your thoughts on any or all of these considerations? Thanks in advance.
In 2016, I replaced my old B&W 802D2's which sounded very mid / high mid leaning to me with the F208s. I've been super happy with the move & haven't felt the need to "upgrade" and probably won't any time soon.

The Revel's won't make a bad recording sound good, or add / subtract anything from the recording / movie. They're impactful and punchy (w/ the right amount of amp muscle) if the recording is impactful & punchy. If the recording is mediocre overly compressed, poorly mic'd, etc - that's what you will get from them.
They get pretty loud without dynamic compression, are forgiving of less than perfect room acoustics, good looking and aren't monstrously large.

Good luck with your move @Astoneroad

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
I'm in Vegas and the closest Revel dealer, that actually stocks them, is a 6 hour drive. I've never heard the F208s, but after following this forum and Amir's review, I'm on the verge of buying a pair unheard. I understand the perils of this. I've suffered those perils previously, shamefully more than once, yet the options seem to be that, or loving what I got... which I do by the way. I found a dealer who will freight them all in for $4300 brand new. I figure that any pair that I buy, I need to add $500 in freight, for some dealers also tax which amounts to another $300. So my current rationalization is that I'm paying $3500 for them, plus shipping and tax. I have nothing but respect for you guys and your input. So, what are your thoughts on any or all of these considerations? Thanks in advance.
I'm selling mine and they're mint. Not sure if you want piano black, though.

archerious

Interesting that F208 scored 6.5 while F228Be scored 6.2.

I'm pretty sure I'll go F226Be, but with tax and shipping it's $4925 for F208 vs $6300 for F226Be. Not sure if the money spent is worth it for worse measuring speakers.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure I'll go F226Be, but with tax and shipping it's $4925 for F208 vs $6300 for F226Be. Not sure if the money spent is worth it for worse measuring speakers.
Most here would not recommend equating the Olive Score with better/worse meausuring or quality of the speaker per se as an absolute thing that can be used in that manner. It is what it is and I find it interesting but wouldn’t purchase a speaker based on it. The score does not account for some things that are very important: distortion or compression/ability to play loudly (and I’m sure other things).
It is why I would consider the JBL 708P/F226be etc >Revel M105 or M106.
I have had the Revel M16 and M106 but the 708P or the F226be floor standing speaker is just better in my opinion, despite what the olive score might say. Dynamics, lack of compression, low distortion are important. As to your question, it would be interesting to hear both the F208 and the F228be together to see which is better as they are both really good I’m sure. I find it interesting that the F208 has quite a bit more bass than the Be speakers.
newplot 15.png

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most here would not recommend equating the Olive Score with better/worse meausuring or quality of the speaker per se as an absolute thing that can be used in that manner. It is what it is and I find it interesting but wouldn’t purchase a speaker based on it. The score does not account for some things that are very important: distortion or compression/ability to play loudly (and I’m sure other things).
It is why I would consider the JBL 708P/F226be etc >Revel M105 or M106.
I have had the Revel M16 and M106 but the 708P or the F226be floor standing speaker is just better in my opinion, despite what the olive score might say. Dynamics, lack of compression, low distortion are important. As to your question, it would be interesting to hear both the F208 and the F228be together to see which is better as they are both really good I’m sure. I find it interesting that the F208 has quite a bit more bass than the Be speakers.View attachment 222000
True, otherwise my esteemed F208’s would be a no brainer, looking at the passive recommendation from the scores listed.

Lsc

As I’ve said before, I had both the F208 and F228Be and compared them side by side. I also have compared the F228Be and the Salon2 side by side.

The F228Be is a better speaker than the F208. Not that the latter is a bad speaker but after owning it for 7 years, I am very familiar with how good the F208 is. With the F228Be, you can listen to music louder and over a longer period of time because there is no listening fatigue. The dynamics are superior as well.

When I listened to the salons and F228Be side by side, it was shocking how good the F228Be was in direct comparison. This is how good the performaBe speakers are. They are right there with the Salon2 which is saying something.

archerious

As I’ve said before, I had both the F208 and F228Be and compared them side by side. I also have compared the F228Be and the Salon2 side by side.

The F228Be is a better speaker than the F208. Not that the latter is a bad speaker but after owning it for 7 years, I am very familiar with how good the F208 is. With the F228Be, you can listen to music louder and over a longer period of time because there is no listening fatigue. The dynamics are superior as well.

When I listened to the salons and F228Be side by side, it was shocking how good the F228Be was in direct comparison. This is how good the performaBe speakers are. They are right there with the Salon2 which is saying something.

Awesome, my only remaining comparison is Focal Kanta No.1. Open box there about the same price (a little cheaper actually). I've heard amazing things, but the measurements for the F226Be are fantastic. Not sure how great the measurements are for Focal Kanta, since Aria 906 measured okay.

Lsc

Awesome, my only remaining comparison is Focal Kanta No.1. Open box there about the same price (a little cheaper actually). I've heard amazing things, but the measurements for the F226Be are fantastic. Not sure how great the measurements are for Focal Kanta, since Aria 906 measured okay.
The Focals are good speakers and my buddy had the 1028Be before he upgraded to the Salon2. His biggest complaint was listening fatigue and I don’t think their signature sound has changed with these newer models but everyone is different.

archerious

The Focals are good speakers and my buddy had the 1028Be before he upgraded to the Salon2. His biggest complaint was listening fatigue and I don’t think their signature sound has changed with these newer models but everyone is different.

That's a good point, but I still have my M105s.

If I have listening fatigue I figured I'd listen to my M105.

Focals might give me that detail I'm seeking. Revels seem to play it safe by sticking to neutrality above all.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are you in the US? Price seems high - there's quite a bit of margin on Revel although they're always listed $3850/ea

archerious

Are you in the US? Price seems high - there's quite a bit of margin on Revel although they're always listed $3850/ea
I'm in US. I emailed several dealers and all are about the same price as most are just drop shipping the F226Be.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in US. I emailed several dealers and all are about the same price as most are just drop shipping the F226Be.
Are you quoting price per pair?

archerious

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

You are spoiled. You are not suffering "listening fatigue " in your comparison.

Lsc

You are spoiled. You are not suffering "listening fatigue " in your comparison.
Not spoiled, maybe opportunity cost.

The F228Be and the Salon2 are pretty free from listening fatigue. I enjoy listening to music at pretty high volumes where it sounds more “realistic”.

Since reading this thread the other day I've been so curious how much the 206's tend to go for, I got some weird, none consecutive pair that seemed to be new off audiogon some months ago because something like $1800 seemed like a real good price to me

...Sucks to find out maybe I really should have say read this thread before I made a purchase but it's cool to know very high quality speakers are more accessible than I had previously thought

Lsc

Since reading this thread the other day I've been so curious how much the 206's tend to go for, I got some weird, none consecutive pair that seemed to be new off audiogon some months ago because something like $1800 seemed like a real good price to me

...Sucks to find out maybe I really should have say read this thread before I made a purchase but it's cool to know very high quality speakers are more accessible than I had previously thought
Yes. Used speakers can be the best way to go. If taken care of, they last a long time.

I actually bought a bunch of the last generation concerta speakers for hundreds each and put together a nice system for my kids game room/movie room. All matching speakers and it sounds really good especially with a used JL F113 thrown in there.

Now are they as good as my main system with Salon2/Voice2? No but it’s shocking close and very satisfying to listen to.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Revel dealer network is sparse. Don't buy new on the internet. Call Revel dealers and ask best price. Can find deals that sometimes come close to used. Problem is shipping. If dealer will ship, will charge shipping. I have observed some claim drop shipping. I doubt it. I purchased Anthem 520 through its website. Drop shipped through a retailer I never heard of. I was paying list. I can't find list of Revel dealers on website. Asks for address and only provides list within range. Frustrating.

Top Bottom