• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resolve's B&K 5128 Headphone Target - you can try the EQ's.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Having said all of that, pretty much regardless of how flimsy or strong Resolve & Co's B&K research project may be/become, I'll always try out their EQ's, and if I happened to truly like them better than my Harman style EQ's then I would indeed continue using them......
Why are you waiting on them??? Just play with the EQ now and see if you can build a better one, starting with the Harman as a guide. Be careful with the content you pick though. This has a big influence and you could tune things for one and make it worse for the others.
I suppose if say the B&K 5128 EQ's for all of my different headphone models sounded excellent vs GRAS Harman then it would be hard not to want it an "adopted standard", but I think in reality this wouldn't be a likely situation to occur if my points numbered 1-3 above weren't met.
There is no effort in the industry to standardize a target curve. The 5128 itself may become a standard but that would be for raw measurements, not in any specific application/target curve. At best you can hope for a de-facto standard which is what we have with Harman.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are you waiting on them??? Just play with the EQ now and see if you can build a better one, starting with the Harman as a guide. Be careful with the content you pick though. This has a big influence and you could tune things for one and make it worse for the others.

There is no effort in the industry to standardize a target curve. The 5128 itself may become a standard but that would be for raw measurements, not in any specific application/target curve. At best you can hope for a de-facto standard which is what we have with Harman.
I've already got my best optimised Harman EQ's for all my various headphones, so I've already done all that, I can't make them any better for myself. I'm open to the idea that a more accurate starting curve/measurement rig (if that can be the case) could yield better results though , which is the only reason for me to be interested in the B&K 5128 project.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@Resolve and @Mad_Economist , how are you folks getting on with your project, where are you at with it? I've not seen anything new on it recently (either on here nor on your headphone.com website). Are you taking a bit of a break on it, or are you collating your information, or are you thinking about new tweaks to the curve along with perhaps in the process of doing internal testing?
Apologies, we're working on a lot of projects at the moment, and this hasn't been priority. I'm hoping to revisit the target with an assessment based on a resampling of the data from A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners' Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones - perhaps this may address @amirm's concerns about our work not paralleling the Harman work? There's no definitive timeline for this, however.

My best guess based on current priorities is that you'll see some progress over the summer - sooner if I can, but there are only so many hours in the day!

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
I don't think the model ever claimed to be that granular though. For example, a 83 headphone would pretty much always sound better than a 50 but an 83 won't necessarily sound better than an 80. That and the extreme ends tend to just be a wash. Anything over 90 is pretty much "great, pick according to taste and things not covered in the model." I agree the model is very useful, but like you said, isn't a granular holy grail of numbers.
My memory from the interview @Resolve and I did with @Sean Olive is that the score delta where you are highly confident that one headphone will be preferred is about 7 points. E.g. 88 > 80 pretty consistently, 84 could be a toss-up with either.

D

Deleted member 16543

I feel like we're running in circles, so I'll just summarize what I think are the 2 main objections to using the B&K 5128 and my objections to those in turn.

1. The GRAS is a standard and works good enough while the B&K still has to prove it can improve on the results we get with the GRAS.

This is a very non scientific approach to the problem. Standards follow the scientific research, not the other way around. This is obviously a field where standards have been struggling to catch up with the results. Pinna shape, target curve, etc.. all had to be periodically revised to make up for a rig that has some evident limitations, the first one being the 711 coupler is not a good enough representation of a human canal.
Follow good scientific approach and the basic concepts of physics everybody should be familiar with, not standards.

2. Nobody matches the shape of the 5128, so the excercise is pointless.

The whole point of the excercise is to be able to provide a target that puts us closer to a better starting curve, one that reduces the instances of bad sounding records. Outliers are inevitable due to differences in how recordings are made and personal preferences. According to this reasoning the whole Harman research would also have had to be deemed pointless, even more so because their rig is that much less similar to a human head than the 5128.
Yet, some decent results were achieved and all that people like Resolve are trying to do is to improve on those results.
This process has to go through the use of a better anatomical match of the rig. Because.. physics. That's enough of a justification.
One doesn't have to prove the 5128 can improve on the results achievable with the GRAS to validate the point I'm making. How could one even demand for such a thing? The uses are infinite with both rigs, and there's going to be uses for the 5128 that will produce much worse results than with the GRAS, and vice versa.
The use one will make of a tool, not the tool itself, determines the validity of the resulting work.
No one single research (use of the tool) can prove the 5128 is better than the GRAS, because there's infinite uses one can make of both tools, the vast majority of which are incorrect.
With this type of reasoning one can prove that GRAS is better than... GRAS itself! Because there's things that weren't done to the best of accuracy standards with Harman's research (arguably the best use of the GRAS tool attempted.. so far).
Obviously, if one can use different research results with the same tool to infer that the tool is better/worse than itself, there has to be something majorly wrong with the concept of blindly attributing qualities of the work to capabilities of the tool.
The B&K 5128 is a better tool. Period.
Time will tell us what we can make out of it, but there is no doubt that its full potential (whether we will be able to fully harness it or not) can bear better fruits than GRAS' full potential (which hasn't been achieved either, to be fair).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
I've already got my best optimised Harman EQ's for all my various headphones, so I've already done all that, I can't make them any better for myself. I'm open to the idea that a more accurate starting curve/measurement rig (if that can be the case) could yield better results though , which is the only reason for me to be interested in the B&K 5128 project.
For what it's worth, I do think some experimentation (perhaps making use of some blinded testing? You could convolve some test tracks with IRs and use something like Foobar ABX, although ABX isn't ideal for preference) should be able to yield a most-preferred-for-Robbo response for a given headphone.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
The people who are creating targets for 5128 are the definition of DIYers and that is precisely the problem. B&K is specifically staying out of it. It is an unfinished tool for the job at hand.
Ultimately, we are all DIYers - even Sean and Todd have some DIYish fixtures in their research :D And of course this is the nature of scientific inquiry. Now, Headphones.com is not (presently) doing a very significant amount of real science - that might change in the long run, but at present the time and personnel costs of comprehensive studies have left them as a "maybe someday" thing for ex. listening tests - but there's a pretty strong appreciation of the lit there, and it's one I'm doing my best to stoke rather than quell.
If two guys can create a target for a headphone fixture in little time with so little effort, we would have to conclude that Harman and crew didn't know what they were doing! Hobby work like this hugely trivializes the research needed to find acoustic measurements that have a prayer of correlating with listening tests.
This isn't necessarily true at all! Research does not have to be completely reduplicated if you can establish that prior research is indicative - Sean didn't replicate Gaetan Lorho's listening tests, for example, but his work references off of Gaetan's.
If the above was done and hence we had a comparable solution with 5128 that we have with GRAS 45, then there would be no fragmentation. Anything else will create noise and confusion.
Given what Sean has shown regarding the differences between different fixtures (and pinnae on the same fixture, e.g. Todd's pinna vs. the KB500x used on your 45CA), fragmentation is an inevitability of a world where multiple pinnae exist.

Since multiple pinnae exist on humans, I'm hesitant to call this a problem per se, however.
It is a complete misunderstanding to think there is one preferred tilt for room response as to then try to mimic that for headphones. Every room needs to employ a target curve which fits the listener preference as driven by what they listen to. Music product has no standard. No agreed upon frequency response or tonality. No way then you can try to lock onto a preferred bass vs treble response. Hence the reason Harman curves were kind of a moving target here.
This holds for headphones and speaker-room response about equally - there's a spread of preferences between individuals and (to a smaller extent) a spread of individual preferences based on content. @Sean Olive has strongly advocated for user adjustable tone controls on headphones for this reason, and I firmly agree - and something we'll hopefully be rolling out quite soon is visualizing preference as a "spread" rather than a single line, drawing directly on Toole and Olive's work.

You have no data to back that. The testing and comparison could very well be pointing to a design flaw in 5128. Remember, I measured nearly identical results to Dan Clark proving the repeatability and reliability of using GRAS 45. Fixture is switched by skilled operators and results were clearly odd. This should point the finger at the fixture first.
This really isn't a reasonable contention a priori. We know that the geometry of the 5128's pinnae is correct. We know that their flexibility is analogous to the KB500x pinnae. We know that its ear impedance is a better match for human listeners than the 60318-4 coupler. Why should our presumption be that a difference in response reflects a flaw on the part of the measurement system, rather than demonstrating how an acoustic source interacts with varying loads?
Not at all. There is no extensive research. And what there is, points to generally titled down response and not any specific angle. For this reason, Dr. Toole says you must have tone controls and famously coins the phrase "circle of confusion." The best paper out there was led by Dr. Sean Olive where he says this in the conclusion section:

The Subjective and Objective Evaluation of
Room Correction Products
Sean E. Olive1, John Jackson2, Allan Devantier3, David Hunt4 and Sean M. Hess

"Finally, the authors caution readers from generalizing
these test results to conditions outside the experimental
ones described here. Although the acoustical properties
of the loudspeaker and listening room in these tests
were fairly representative of typical setups in homes, the
quality of the program material will, in part, influence
how good a room correction sounds. Given that today,
the sound quality of commercial recordings remains
highly variable, there are always opportunities for good
room corrections to sound bad, and for bad room
corrections to sound good.
Until the recording industry
emerges from its “circle of confusion” [1], the ideal
target curve for a room correction may be a moving
one2."

The only thing we know is that flat target sounds bright. Beyond that, the decision must be in the hands of the listener, guided by their ears.
While it's certain that there's a need for tone controls - in headphones and speakers both - it seems profoundly odd to me to characterize things this vaguely regarding preferred in-room response. Part of the Harman headphone project itself was indeed a quantification of preferred in-room response with "good" speakers. The fact is, we prefer a *relatively* consistent across listeners slope with speakers, just as we prefer a relatively consistent across listeners response with headphones - and part of Sean's research programme was, specifically, demonstrating that we have roughly the same preferences across both...

I'd like to again invite you to discuss this in a more unified space with spoken tone audible - heck, maybe you, Sean, Andrew and I could sit down during a convention or something, and have a camera rolling?

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
A flat cheek would be better for repeatability of seal.
The biggest issue is that the area around the ear is not flat in humans. It is 'better' on human shaped manekins.
That said... this too is an 'average' and may differ from reality (amount of fat on the head, headsize, geometry).
The problem that is presented is caused by the pads, their compliance and ability to follow countours of the head.
Some pads are stiff and less compliant and might have seal issues while softer more compliant pads (memory foam also needs body heat) may seal better.
Generically, a single head/box is a really bad proxy for the on-head behavior on a representative sample of people. In the long run, my solution to this is either A, to use coupling on a very small number of reference humans (the people measuring the headphone) as a baseline for "normal" and match that with a test fixture set including a variety of pinnae, or B, to use a meaningful number of in situ measurements in human ears in the measurement process. Unsure of which is going to be more viable, but both my own experience and Sean's data on the delta of in-ear microphone data from humans and fixtures strongly biases me towards this being a major priority for improving FR measurements.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
I wonder what @Sean Olive thinks of the endeavors of these guys. They do seem to have a line between them and bounce ideas.
I would describe Sean's attitude as "tolerant bemusement" from my interactions with him - I'd love to have more dialogue with him on this subject, though, particularly as we have more actual results and less hypothesis to show!

markanini

Major Contributor
I eventually landed on this manual approach too. An extra benefit is that it takes care of individual fit variation that may not show on the coupler.

My memory from the interview @Resolve and I did with @Sean Olive is that the score delta where you are highly confident that one headphone will be preferred is about 7 points. E.g. 88 > 80 pretty consistently, 84 could be a toss-up with either.
I've been looking for this information, big thanks!

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

Is your current headphone measurement setup identical to what was being used to develop the Harman target?

If someone knows a thread where this has been discussed already please share it.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
@amirm

Is your current headphone measurement setup identical to what was being used to develop the Harman target?

If someone knows a thread where this has been discussed already please share it.
@amirm's measurement system is a GRAS 45CA equipped with a KB5010 and KB5011 pinnae, and RA0402 prepolarized ear simulators.

The majority of the Harman research used the 45CA, but after initial problems with fitment of headphones, Todd Welti designed a modified version of the KB0070, which remains in use for Harman measurements. It is similar to the KB501x pinnae, but Sean has measured meaningful differences between it and the KB501xs, just as with the 5128. The ear simulators used in the Harman work are likely standard RA0045 models, lacking the damping that reduces the high frequency peak on the RA0402 - this isn't specified in any of the papers I've seen, but they've been in use since before the RA0401/RA0402 came out, so...

That is to say, Amir's system is quite similar, but not identical.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
Has this been documented somewhere?
Yes! Sean had a presentation including this information, and has posted about it on Twitter.

FqBNJ0gaAAAuBfZ.jpg

For those inclined to look at the difference versus the human average, I've scraped this data using Vituixcad into REW:
1682854349238.png

due to the issues with optically scraping low res information, I advise against "reading the tea leaves" too heavily on the small things and the variation above 15khz - but I think it's amusing to note that commonality in average difference to humans of the KB5010/5011 and 5128!

Note that all measurements were using a blocked meatus microphone, meaning that this reflects differences from the pinna geometry and fit, but not ear Z. We (headphones.com) are planning to do some measurements with non-occluding mics sometime this year to look at how things look when the ear load is added...but there are so many things to do!

I've attached this data as both an mdat (REW format) and .csvs in the attached zipped folder should anyone have an interest in it, with the aforementioned caveat that it's a quick rip of a slide, not the source data.

Attachments

• Sean data scrapes.zip
    143.1 KB · Views: 44
D

Deleted member 16543

Yes! Sean had a presentation including this information, and has posted about it on Twitter.

View attachment 282514
For those inclined to look at the difference versus the human average, I've scraped this data using Vituixcad into REW:
View attachment 282518
due to the issues with optically scraping low res information, I advise against "reading the tea leaves" too heavily on the small things and the variation above 15khz - but I think it's amusing to note that commonality in average difference to humans of the KB5010/5011 and 5128!

Note that all measurements were using a blocked meatus microphone, meaning that this reflects differences from the pinna geometry and fit, but not ear Z. We (headphones.com) are planning to do some measurements with non-occluding mics sometime this year to look at how things look when the ear load is added...but there are so many things to do!

I've attached this data as both an mdat (REW format) and .csvs in the attached zipped folder should anyone have an interest in it, with the aforementioned caveat that it's a quick rip of a slide, not the source data.
I would expect that dip between the 2 peaks, shown in my graph and the Stealth measurement, to somehow show up when you start measuring at the eardrum location.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
I would expect that dip between the 2 peaks, shown in my graph and the Stealth measurement, to somehow show up when you start measuring at the eardrum location.
We're going to be doing some analysis of the differences between headphones on our 43AG (acoustically equivalent to a 45CA) and 5128 in the near to mid term, so keep on the look out! It'll be at DRP/the ear sim.

D

Deleted member 16543

We're going to be doing some analysis of the differences between headphones on our 43AG (acoustically equivalent to a 45CA) and 5128 in the near to mid term, so keep on the look out! It'll be at DRP/the ear sim.
Wonderful!

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies, we're working on a lot of projects at the moment, and this hasn't been priority. I'm hoping to revisit the target with an assessment based on a resampling of the data from A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners' Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones - perhaps this may address @amirm's concerns about our work not paralleling the Harman work? There's no definitive timeline for this, however.

My best guess based on current priorities is that you'll see some progress over the summer - sooner if I can, but there are only so many hours in the day!
No worries, it's your project so the timeline is yours. Ah, so does that mean you're gonna be using the HD800s exclusively then to try out your different target curves internally, and perhaps just asking initially for external owners of HD800s to try your equalisations? (If it was the HD800s used in that one?)
For what it's worth, I do think some experimentation (perhaps making use of some blinded testing? You could convolve some test tracks with IRs and use something like Foobar ABX, although ABX isn't ideal for preference) should be able to yield a most-preferred-for-Robbo response for a given headphone.
It's true I've never done blind testing for myself of different EQ's. Well, actually, tell a lie, I did one time do an experiment using EqualiserAPO where I closed my eyes whilst repeatedly pressing the on/off switch for a channel matching EQ, and then I'd listen to a piece of music, then press the on/off button again with my eyes closed until I'd rested on the one that I thought was the best, and then decide before opening my eyes if it was the channel matched version or not. I kept on guessing the channel matched version without mistake for about 9 times in a row or something. (Each channel was EQ'd to the average of the two, so overall volume shouldn't have changed with the flip of the switch). What you're suggesting is something I could do, but generally I've just AB'd eq's on the same tracks to see which ones I prefer the most. I am really quite happy with where I've ended up with re my optimised Harman EQ's for my various headphones, but really I'm only talking about my HD560s & K702, because they're the only two that I really use now, but I've done plenty of testing on my other headphones just I don't have a steadfast EQ for the others as I've not used them enough - I will say though that for the HD600 I decided on leaving it stock apart from I think a +3dB Low Shelf at 75Hz, so that was one headphone that I didn't think suited a Harman style EQ, I really don't use anything other than HD560s & K702 though. So, even though I'm very happy with my optimised Harman EQ's I'm still willing to try for example B&K 5128 EQ's to see if there's anything to be gained.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to again invite you to discuss this in a more unified space with spoken tone audible - heck, maybe you, Sean, Andrew and I could sit down during a convention or something, and have a camera rolling?
(This was a post to Amir that you made, but I'm just adding an idea). Well, you guys could also just sit down privately together to have a discussion, you don't have to have the cameras rolling immediately during the whole thing. There's probably quite a bit to be gained from private discussion, and it takes the pressure off it being a Live or recorded event. Well, you could do both, start with a private conversation then agree to a public discussion of which you will know the basic outline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom