• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Renovating Thiel CS3.5 Speakers

Vince2

Renovating the Thiel CS 3.5

My audio journey dates back several decades and began with the KEF 104 reference speakers followed by the Thiel 3.5 floor standers and finally resulted in my current setup with Thiel 3.7 speakers. It is hard to part with speakers that have been a wonderful companion on a great journey, but the signs of aging are undeniable. The KEF's lost their high range and probably need an upgrade of the crossovers and the Thiels midrange driver is no longer serviceable and the tweeters are beginning to show their age but are still serviceble. The Thiels come with a bass equalizer that extends the bass in the 20 range, but parts for this equalizer are harder to get and the design of the equalizer also has room for improvement. In other words, both speakers beg to be renovated and obtain a new lease on life as sitting in a closet is no way to go.
In this post I intend to document this journey for the reason of inspiring others to do the same and to get constructive feedback on ways to get better results as I imagine others have more experience in certain areas then I have. For me it is a nice integration of many different aspects (designing, measuring, constructing, listening etc.) culminating in an end product that will be a new companion for someone else and represents an upgrade but preserves the beauty of the past.

My first project will be upgrading the Thiels. To understand the essence of these speakers it is important to be be familiar with the design philosophy of Jim Thiel. He was a strong believer in the importance of time and phase coherence of the speaker and only used first order crossovers and drivers that were capable of covering a wide frequency range without noticeable distortion. He ended up custom ordering the drivers for his speakers making it hard now to find any substitues. He spend endless times modifying the crossovers to get the best listening experience with the challenging design goals. The speaker cabinets of the Thiels were designed with attention for detail and after 30 plus years are still very acceptable and have braces to keep resonances to a minimum. The cabinets were the sloped design to maintain time coherence of the three way system and require a measuring distance of 6-8 ft to allow the drivers to integrate. To be able to fine tune a new driver with the coherence design goals, I selected to use a complete digital source chain, with dsp and amplification for each driver and the options of eq for room effects. The goal was to keep the source chain at or above the 16 bits or 96 dB standard for THD and N and the most affordable way to do this was to use Fusion amps from hypex. The user advantage of streaming audio from a cell phone contributed to using a chromecast audio device as the link between the plate amps and the cell phones.The budget for the drivers replacement, amps, dsp etc was to stay under $1000 for each speaker. With all of this as a background, lets see how this project unfolds.

1. Selecting Driver replacements
For the Thiel, several midrange substitutes have been proposed and the ScanSpeak 10F/8414 is now recommended by Thiel but comparing the specs of this driver ( https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...canspeak-discovery-10f/8414g-10-4-full-range/) with the specs of the wavecor wf120bd04 (https://www.parts-express.com/pedoc...wavecor-wf120bd03-04-07-08-specifications.pdf) made me decide for the wavecor. The paper cone design subjectively has a similar sound quality as the original driver, and a better horizontal range near the cross over points of 300 and 2500 Hz were relevant. Also wanting to try a new brand with good reviews contributed to giving the nod to the wavecors.
The size of the wavecor is slightly larger then the original driver, allowing a mounting of the driver without any modifications. The waveguides however need some edge removal of 1/16 inch on the inside to not impede with the free movement of the driver. Mounting the driver is straight forward and connecting the wires requires basic soldering skills. I removed the crossovers and installed two more sets of bindings posts at the bottom of the speaker. The cover of the existing binding posts is easily removed and shows that the wiring for each driver from the crossover is combined at the binding posts. After removing the crossovers, the wires to the crossover from each drivers are long enough to reach the bottom of the speaker and are connected to the existing and new binding posts. To get to the crossovers, the woofer driver needs to be removed, but after removal it is all very accessible to complete the modification.
2. Measuring driver impedance and phase and some additional specs. for all drivers.
I measured the drivers in the cabinets from the binding posts to make sure everything was installed correctly with the DATS software. The mid and woofers measured fine according to specs but the right tweeter was clearly not within specs. Fortunately, I still had another tweeter that measured fine and I was able to use as a substitute.

-twwet-l.PNG
-twwet-l.PNG
Capture-tweet-r.PNG

Capture-tweet-extra.PNG
Capture-mids-.PNG
Capture-woof-L.PNG
Capture-woof-R.PNG

3. Measuring frequency range of drivers.
REW V5.20 and the UMIK-1 usb mic was used to take the frequency range measures. I had experimented with several types of methods, ground measurement, near and windowed measurements, and ended up getting the best results by placing the speaker on a coffee table 3 ft of the ground in a very large space, facing the ceiling. My measurement space is about 30 by 30 ft with a sloping ceiling from 12 to 30 ft.
I took a measurement of each driver 3x times, at 1", 12" and 36". I applied a frequency dependent window to the 12" and 36" measurement with a right window of 500 ms. and width of 15 cycles. It confirmed that the right tweeter was damaged.
Tweeters, mids, and woofers FR and distortion graphs:

measure-tweets.png

measure-mids.png

measure-woofers.png

Distortion graphs:
measure2 tweets.png

measure2-mids.png

measure2woofers.png

Note: the measurement of mids at 1" may have been slightly off in distance of one measurement.

4. EQ-ing the drivers for linearity within crossover range.
The Thiel speaker employ first order crossover filters with a 6dB slope, and XO-point located at 300 and 2500 HZ. IN REW it is possible to EQ each speaker and bring the FR natural slopes of each speaker consistent with the XO slopes. Instead of creating a horizontal FR around the xo point of at least 1 octave and then applying the High or Low pass filter, it is possible to immediately conform the FR as if an HPF and/or LPF FR has been applied without using any XO filters. Here are the EQ graphs for highs, mids and woofs:

Capture-eq-tweet.PNG

Capture-eq-mids.PNG

Capture-eq-woof.PNG

Ok. Now we can enter these settings in the Hypex Filter design software, that controls the DSP function of the Hypex fusion amp modules. I'm using the FA503 plate amps and the setup was straight forward using the help guide except that I had difficulties uploading the filters to the DSP because the upload function was grayed out. Turns out, the amp goes asleep after 15 minutes and was no longer visible to the computer. After loading the filters, new measurements will be made of each driver as before to see if finer adjustments were necessary.
Stay tuned

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
V

Vince2

Matias, I see that you also have a Thiel 3.7 from you logo. I live in the same town where Thiel began so I have regular contact with Rob and know for sure that some parts are no longer available. I explored with him mounting the coax from the 3.7 in the 3.5 but postponed that project for a future time.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought my 3.7 in 2012 and I hope they last for 20+ years! Love them.

OP
V

Vince2

5. New measurements with hypex dsp
The Fusion FA503 received input from the laptop computer through an Aune 1Xs Dac using spdif. The EQ settings from REW were transfered to HFD and each channel was connected to a driver. Just a warning. Don't rely on muting a channel by changing the mute setting of the channel. In my case, these settings were not stable and at times channels that were muted still had a green light. Also all channels are unmuted were each time a change was made and a new filter set was uploaded. Instead change the volume of the channel that you want to mute to -90 db. It is a little cumbersome to have to upload the preset each time a change is made. Enable the limiter for each channels before you start testing. Just to be safe.
So I made a series of measurments and fine tuned the gain of each channel, so that the FR of each driver intersected at the selected crossover frequency. The initial FR with each channel at equal gain gave evidence of cancellation effects at 600, 3K and 7K.
equal gain channels.png

The xo for woofer (blue) and mid (red) ended up at 100 Hz and the xo of the mid and tweeter was at 2800 Hz. The FR of all 3 channels showed some cancellation effects.
After adjusting the gain for woofer and mid so that the xo point was near 300 Hz, we also decided to boost the base range by changing the Q from 2 to .7 for the peak filter at 30 Hz. The overall FR plot is at the top. It indicates that further equalization is needed

gain aligned xo.png

to align the max gain of the channels little better. For now I'll wait till I can take some room measurements.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

• All drivers equal gain.png
    All drivers equal gain.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 99
OP
V

Vince2

Uhm, that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm writing this up so others can do the same. Be happy to help if needed.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks but it's a bit beyond my capabilities. I posted the link in case anyone viewing wanted to find a pair of 3.5s.

OP
V

Vince2

6. What is the deal with the phase?

Controversy about the importance of linear phase for speakers has been ongoing and many claim that any changes in phase are inaudible. Jim Thiel was adamant that linear phase has always been a design goal for Thiel and claims of phase range plus or minus 10 degrees for the 3.5 were made. As we look at the measurements of each driver, we can see that the phase of each driver in the crossover range plus or minus 1 octave are going to add rather then subtract. (By the way, in my earlier post I misstated that the xo points were 300 and 2500 HZ, instead they are 400 and 3000Hz.)
As we are working with minimum phase filters, each peak filter has some impact on the phase, so lets examine the phase of each driver after the equalization with HFD software.
tweet-eq-phase-FR.png

mid-eq-phase-FR.png

woofer-eq-ph-FR.png

We can see now that the phase in the XO range for the woofer to the mid (160-500 Hz.) and the mid to the tweeter (1250-5000 Hz.) are going to add up ok. There is software (Rephase) to linearize the phase of each driver and bring it close to the target of zero phase but these linear filters can introduce pre-ringing. Anyway, with the current dsp version in the hypex Fusionamps, only min phase filters are possible.

The response with all three channels engaged indicates that we have succeeded in keeping the phase in range within 45 degrees within 100 -10K Hz.
3 channels aligned FR phase.png

Subjectively, this is perceived as improved sound stage, clarity of sound and accurate timbre of instruments.

Here is the group delay graph:
group delay 3 channels.png

And the distortion graph:
Distortion 3 channels aligned xo.png

Ok, good enough to finish the amps and do some in room measurements to equalize for room effects and apply a house curve.
Stay tuned.

OP
V

Vince2

How are you mounting the plate amps?
I'm constructing a black stained, wooden enclosure that will sit on the floor behind the speaker and remains upright against the speaker with velcro strips. Using aluminum foil to line the sides and provide some fire protection. If you want to be fancier, order some custom made drawers or metal enclosure, but as they remain out of sight, I plan to keep it simple.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is that easy to replace the ferro fluid in these tweeters?

Should be easier than the coaxial models. Just gotta take the tweeters apart without bending the voice coil, or ripping the leads. Clean out the gap, I like to use folded postit notes dipped in rubbing alcohol. Refill with new fluid, reassemble.

Piotr91

Hi, Im thinking about those speakers, are they need to be upgrated internally to sound good? Is just changing drivers will work? or is necessary to work with crossover?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Ummm - The KEF T27 tweeter in the original 104 hails from the days before ferrofluid, but it is a pretty durable thing if not abused for years.. The crossovers have fuses in them and these could blow if stressed. We young idiots used to short said fuses out. Even if the fuses are intact, the contacts could be corroded. In any case, the AB crossvers were a huge improvement sonically (soprano vocals no longer made you wince) and are worth getting. The T27 tweeters are being remade now as well should you need them.

Hon

"the AB crossvers were a huge improvement sonically (soprano vocals no longer made you wince) and are worth getting. "

I think the "aB" stood for acoustic Butterworth. KEF put out a little paper with a graph and schematics describing the improvement. It was titled KEF 104aB....a story of improvement. I was going to post a pic of it, but I see a copy is already online.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vince2

These speakers are great as they are. However, the mid and tweeter are no longer available or serviceable and when you look for alternatives, you will have to redesign the crossovers consistent with the Thiel design goals. Making them active speakers is an easy way to accomplish that.

Hon

Matias, I see that you also have a Thiel 3.7 from you logo. I live in the same town where Thiel began so I have regular contact with Rob and know for sure that some parts are no longer available. I explored with him mounting the coax from the 3.7 in the 3.5 but postponed that project for a future time.

Vince, I've always admired Thiels from afar but never pulled the trigger. Now I have eyes on a pair of rather bruised CD 2.3s on eBay. They seem to need new coaxials at the very least. Thanks to Matias' link I got a rebuilding quote of $250 each. Are there any alternatives? I also see an approachable pair of the littler CS .5s in apparently excellent condition and specially veneered. Thoughts?

OP
V

Vince2

Those coax drivers were designed and build for Thiel specifically. Get them rebuild or replaced through coherent resources in lexington, ky. No substitutes that I'm familiar with.
The 2.4 are considered a significant improvement over the 2.3 and the final mature design.
The. 5 has limitations in bass that can be overcome with subs.

Top Bottom