• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reptile, with Benicio del Toro.
A crime whodunit following that tried and tested format but has just enough unpredictability and indie-style cinematography and a non-patronising presentation to keep you engaged.
One of the few movies I've managed to watch right through to the end in recent years. The Irishman being the exception and that's going back a couple of years now! And Banshees ofc
Hope it is good. I'm about to view it. Sure did not care for Banshees. Had everything it needed to be great and wasn't.

Short38

A list of old and great films plus a few recents:

Notorious
Bad Day At Black Rock
Lonely Are The Brave
The Bedford Incident
The Presidents Analyst
Klute
The Loved One
The Parallax View
Them
Apocalypse Now
Fail Safe
Dr Strangelove
Don’t Worry Darling
Nope
Get Out

….

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope
Get Out
I'm not sure about "refreshing", but what I enjoy about Jordan Peele's movies is that his characters have enough common sense to do what we might do in such situations: Get Out and Nope outta there! As opposed to the classic bad horror scene of kids hearing strange noises in the basement, and heading down to investigate via rickety stairs and armed only with a flickering flashlight. :D

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is a great movie. It’s a bit like a French Crimson Tide. The element of the “golden ear” is extra fun for audiophiles.

It’s an older movie that used to be on Netflix but now is available to rent or purchase on the usual streaming services. Physical media lacks English subtitles. For an independent French film, the audio was done at Skywalker Sound.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is a good one.
I have shoved an already good 4K version through my usual Ai enhancer, the results are very impressive.
Where did you get the 4K version? Even a 2K Bluray has not yet been published.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At one point, I put "Keanu" on pause, because I thought the story line of the duo's attempt to infiltrate a gang was getting bogged down, but it turns out that this also leads to some of the movie's biggest laughs. And wow, there's an amazing homage to ... well, you'll need to watch for yourselves.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you get the 4K version? Even a 2K Bluray has not yet been published.
You got me doubting myself, so I checked!
You are partly correct, there is indeed no official 4K version released yet, but there is a Director's cut Bluray, has been available for some time.
You are welcome to my version! it is not HDR (obviously), but it is super clean.
I also have Alien and Aliens, old classics such as Ben Hur, Fiddler on the roof, Spartacus, 2001 . . . . .
All upscaled and enhanced using Ai.
All in 4K. a few in HDR (if the original was HDR).
PM me, if you want any.
Meanwhile, some screenshots in 2160p, feel free to zoom in:
(for some reason, some pictures get resized)

Ben Hur 1959 4K-Ai.mkv_snapshot_00.29.03.533.jpg

Fiddler On The Roof 1971 4K-Ai.mkv_snapshot_00.09.38.369.jpgAliens 1986 4K-Ai.mkv_snapshot_00.36.37.800.jpgAlien 1979 DC 4K-Ai.mkv_snapshot_00.29.43.031.jpgAbyss.1989. 4K - AI.mkv_snapshot_01.49.24.862.jpg

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You got me doubting myself, so I checked!
You are partly correct, there is indeed no official 4K version released yet, but there is a Director's cut Bluray, has been available for some time.
You are welcome to my version! it is not HDR (obviously), but it is super clean.
I also have Alien and Aliens, old classics such as Ben Hur, Fiddler on the roof, Spartacus, 2001 . . . . .
All upscaled and enhanced using Ai.
All in 4K. a few in HDR (if the original was HDR).
PM me, if you want any.
You have mail :cool:
Meanwhile, some screenshots in 2160p, feel free to zoom in:
(for some reason, some pictures get resized)
ASR has a file size and resolution limit for images.

Eulipian

Stand by Me
The Wizard of Oz
The Stunt Man
Field of Dreams
High Anxiety, The Producers, Blazing Saddles
Tim Burton's and Wes Anderson's films
Chaplin
Shrek

Last edited:

rgpit

Forum Donor
91FEWRl5WVL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Barrelhouse Solly

On Netflix Wes Anderson has just released 4 Roald Dahl short stories including "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar" with Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead role. They're all under 30 minutes long. They're staged like a pantomime with very simple sets. If you've seen Eric Rohmer's "Perceval le Gallois" from the late '70s you have an idea about the look and feel. Stage hands wander in and out to hand the characters props and move things. There is a narrator and there is also a Roald Dahl character who sits in his writing shed and comments from time to time. Naturally they all have the Wes Anderson color palette. On paper it sounds more than a little precious, but it's not. All 4 create the atmosphere of Dahl's short stories for adults. This is the best stuff we've seen on TV in I don't know how long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Story_of_Henry_Sugar_(film)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tár is now my favourite movie in recent years.
What a gutsy, thinking-person's movie, relying not on CGI but on acting skills, with a story world which in many ways, is further removed from popular consciousness than Middle Earth.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
If you love your dog, you'll relate to this movie.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What a gutsy, thinking-person's movie, relying not on CGI but on acting skills, with a story world which in many ways, is further removed from popular consciousness than Middle Earth.
I really wanted to like it. Honestly it bored me stiff. I never finished watching it. I feel like there was a really interesting engaging story to this woman's life, but it wasn't in that movie.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wanted to like it. Honestly it bored me stiff. I never finished watching it. I feel like there was a really interesting engaging story to this woman's life, but it wasn't in that movie.
Understandable - I also stopped watching on the first night, then resumed the following evening. The latter part felt faster-paced, though I sometimes feel that the higher-brow the movie's intent, the more likely that it will leave the viewer with mixed emotions and unanswered questions!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't get most of this movie. The ending was interesting but everything else was just plain odd.
The boy and I liked it the wife fell asleep. NOPE is the new millennia Soilent Green with some horse meat in there. As Jeff said better than the 80's dumber than dirt teenager slicer-dicers.

Top Bottom