• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.

Adaboy4z

Devil wears Prada surprised me its a good older movie.

D

Deleted member 19122

There's a great Irish comedy from the 90's called CU Burn which details the comedic travails of two brothers who run a low rent crematorium business in rural Ireland.It's just about the most authentic rural slice of Ireland you'll find.Only in Gaelic but with English subtitles.It's available on TG4(Irish TV) online.Pretty sure it's viewable worldwide but if not easy to access with a VPN.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 19122

Here's some more great Irish telly.This one is pure relax.Sli na mBeaglaoich.About a father and son musician duo who travel around Ireland in an old campervan seeking out and playing traditional music with various musicians in different locales.Stunning scenery and great music.Also on TG4 online and free to view worldwide.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.
I think you'd like this Australian movie, Red Dog;

The trailer also gives away part of the story, so best to just watch it. There are multiple streaming services that have this film.

This is a classic film, which I'm sure you would also enjoy;

JSmith

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That movie is madness! Lol. I loved it too.
The main character is based on the long time Vogue magazine editor, Anna Wintour. I went to school with one of her brothers and know her well. Meryl Streep did a brilliant job.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Man Called Ove If you don’t mind subtitles, based on a book my wife read and enjoyed by Fredrik Blackman,.
Eola Holmes (Netfilx, there are 2 movies now). Fun, entertaining and a good Atoms mix for those who care about such things. Fun and entertaining
Top Gun Maverick-I was not expecting to like it so much, but I did.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.
Everything about this movie was top notch until about halfway through where it veered off the rails in my opinion. In the end I found it so pointless and ridiculous it ruined the entire viewing experience. It was like the scriptwriters had a bump on the head in the middle. I'm definitely in the 3 % who gave it a thumbs down.

About the Irish accent. I once was on a big project and a team of fellows from Ireland were sent over to straighten out some problems. It took a few days for me to understand them. At one point I was in an elevator with them and a co-worker. We were discussing an issue and they exited the elevator two floors before I and the coworker did. The coworker said, "I didn't know you could speak their language". I say "Aye, I can". He said "what language is that?" I said, "English".

So the accent in the movie isn't the full on Irish accent, but yes, many people may want sub-titles on. The movie will seem better for it.

birdog1960

Pinocchio by Guillermo Del Toro is excellent if political (anti fascist). "count me in" about drummers is an intriguing doc. both streaming now. Mentioned "Where the Crawdads sing" in another thread. Still thinking about and discussing that one with friends. I also enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts series especially the last one. Oh, and the last Minions was good fun and well done.

Last edited:

birdog1960

I think you'd like this Australian movie, Red Dog;

The trailer also gives away part of the story, so best to just watch it. There are multiple streaming services that have this film.

This is a classic film, which I'm sure you would also enjoy;

JSmith
have watched Red Dog twice. very good movie. Reminded me of Red Violin which was also very good.

Pe8er

I just watched and would highly recommend “Let the right one in” (2008). It’s a strangely endearing Swedish romantic horror. Strange genre combination but trust me, it works! Cinematography is gorgeous (shot by Hoyte van Hoytema who later did Interstellar, Dunkirk, Tenet, Spectre, Her), child actors are phenomenal and the atmosphere of Swedish suburbs in 1980’s is unique.

E7D337D6-4668-44BD-AEE8-D7D9783EED40.jpeg

If you’re into horror, it will be refreshing and surprising. I’m quite tired with the genre but this was something else. Don’t watch trailers!

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%
IMDB: 8.3

birdog1960

If anyone hasn't seen Whiplash (not exactly in the new releases column anymore), check it out. Very good drama and if you like jazz I'd say it's a must watch. The soundtrack is obviously pretty solid as a result of the subject matter.

the insurance guy is golden in just about everything I've seen him in. The sci fi series he's in about a door to another world and the other about parallel worlds are great too.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Back to Aussie movies… and maybe more recent ones…

the kiwis and South Africans can also rock it with some good films.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Man Called Ove If you don’t mind subtitles, based on a book my wife read and enjoyed by Fredrik Blackman,.
Eola Holmes (Netfilx, there are 2 movies now). Fun, entertaining and a good Atoms mix for those who care about such things. Fun and entertaining
Top Gun Maverick-I was not expecting to like it so much, but I did.
There is now an American remake with Tom Hanks “A man called Otto” ( for real ) I just saw the ad for it . I have no idea if it’s any good .

Top Bottom