• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me a small sub for under my desk.

nastynick

I'm looking for a recommendation for a small sub to put in a small box under my desk. I'm just building up the desk system. I've got the Scarlett 2i2 interface, a pair of speakers I built using the "Rule Breaker" plans from Toids (dual 4" woofers and a BMR) and will most likely be purchasing to Fosi ZA3 amps (one in stereo for the speakers and one in mono room drive the sub). These speakers have an f3 around 83 Hz. It would be nice if the sub could dig deep, below 30 Hz. But I'll never be listening to this system very loud.

I like the idea of doing a one cubic foot open baffle ported using the GRS 8SW-4HE with an f3 around 27 Hz.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are you looking for a plug-and-play powered subwoofer, or a DIY passive subwoofer? How much would you like to spend?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I like the idea of doing a one cubic foot open baffle using the GRS 8SW-4HE with an f3 around 27 Hz
That doesn't "seem possible" to me. Do you have any speaker design software? I have WinISD (FREE) but it doesn't do open baffle design/analysis. I suppose you could treat the open back as a port (and I'm pretty sure it will be tuned way too high).

With a small box, your best bet is usually a sealed box and with EQ/DSP and with enough power you can push-down the F3.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a small DIY sub, the Dayton Ultimax UM8-22 is very good and works excellent in a simple sealed enclosure. Being so small, they don't have big output, so I'd recommend at least 2 of them. I made 4 of them and would do the exact same thing if I was doing it over.

With 4 of them and 525W going to each, my system plays flat down to 20Hz, up to just over 100 dB before the subs get unhappy. Room is only 10'x10'.

Prana Ferox

Have you considered a taller desk

d927d0b6a17ec011924252abfb13f081-jpg.3155776

OP
N

nastynick

Are you looking for a plug-and-play powered subwoofer, or a DIY passive subwoofer? How much would you like to spend?
Thanks, probably a DIY passive. But, if there's a recommended plate amp that costs around the same as the Fosi ZA3 then I'd probably do that. Or if there's a recommended plugin play powered subwoofer that's small and not crazy expensive I consider it too. I did a quick Google search and it seems like most of the powered 8-in subs are a staggering $600 plus. (REL T/zero mkiii, KEF KC62, SVS 3000Micro)

OP
N

nastynick

That doesn't "seem possible" to me. Do you have any speaker design software? I have WinISD (FREE) but it doesn't do open baffle design/analysis. I suppose you could treat the open back as a port (and I'm pretty sure it will be tuned way too high).

With a small box, your best bet is usually a sealed box and with EQ/DSP and with enough power you can push-down the F3.
Oh that was a dumb typo. I meant a ported enclosure. I do have winISD, so I'll play with that to design the enclosure and port. But, the specs on the GRS Hi excursion 8-in say it can do 27 Hz at one cubic foot ported...

OP
N

nastynick

For a small DIY sub, the Dayton Ultimax UM8-22 is very good and works excellent in a simple sealed enclosure. Being so small, they don't have big output, so I'd recommend at least 2 of them. I made 4 of them and would do the exact same thing if I was doing it over.

With 4 of them and 525W going to each, my system plays flat down to 20Hz, up to just over 100 dB before the subs get unhappy. Room is only 10'x10'.
That's an insane build you have! You did a great job on your first enclosures. I'm not normally a fan of the high gloss veneers, but these look great! I'm curious how this setup doesn't shake your whole house and bother your partner?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure the UM8-22 is right for me. With the cost creeping up on those they might make sense to just Go with something like an RSL Speedwoofer mkii 10-in. I don't need a lot of output. I'll be listening at low volume mostly, but I'd still like to get low frequencies for music that goes down there.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
That's an insane build you have! You did a great job on your first enclosures. I'm not normally a fan of the high gloss veneers, but these look great! I'm curious how this setup doesn't shake your whole house and bother your partner?
Thanks! Harmony is kept in our house with empathy and communication. I consider the impact of my actions and don't just crank on it. It's usually low volume listening for me during the work day, and outside of that I'm just thoughtful and respectful. A full range system sounds wonderful at low volumes as well. When my wife is either not home or using her headphones, I frequently take advantage of the volume knob.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure the UM8-22 is right for me. With the cost creeping up on those they might make sense to just Go with something like an RSL Speedwoofer mkii 10-in. I don't need a lot of output. I'll be listening at low volume mostly, but I'd still like to get low frequencies for music that goes down there.
I noticed when I grabbed the link that the price has crept up! I paid $120 each this past January.

gorb

Forum Donor
Dunno if these are small enough for you but they are fairly inexpensive:

Top Bottom