• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help in Understanding Perceived Bass Response

mikewxyz

I noticed that the low frequency cut off differences between 2-way and 3-way speakers ranges from “a lot” to almost nothing depending on design. I’m looking at spec sheets that quote a F3 of 37Hz with a sensitivity of 87dB using 1x 18WU mid-woofer. A similar product from the same designer specs F3 of 38Hz with a sensitivity of 90dB using 2x 18WU mid-woofers.

Obviously, the 2x plays louder but apparently not any lower. What am I missing here? Why bother with the cost of 2x if you don't listen at concert levels? Are there attributes of bass response that cannot be comprehended in a frequency plot? Should I be more skeptical of spec sheets?

JPA

Forum Donor
The specs seem correct to me. Doubling up on woofers doesn't allow them to play lower, just louder, as the specs imply. But if you have access to an equalizer you can boost the bass response of the 2x woofers to play deeper more than you can the single woofer, so that's a win. Plus, the extra sensitivity means you can either play louder or use a less powerful amplifier.

Top Bottom