• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Really small suround speakers.

Cadmobile500

Looking at Cambridge Soundworks mini 12 and Monolith THX satellite.
Speakers will go on the wall on each side of the couch and the couch is less than a foot from the back wall.
I have Forte II for mains, SVS prime center and 2 PB1000.
Main use is for TV/ movies and 5.1 music.
I don't want to go any bigger.
Is one of these better than the other?
Is there something better similarly priced?
I need to keep the surounds small.
Wife is already unhappy with the front stage.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230405_183013.jpg
    20230405_183013.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 184

staticV3

Master Contributor
The THX has nice measurements, albeit limited in scope:
41288_06.jpg

There are no measurements available for the Cambridge MIN12, only for the MIN10:

Last edited:

Doctors11

Looking at Cambridge Soundworks mini 12 and Monolith THX satellite.
Speakers will go on the wall on each side of the couch and the couch is less than a foot from the back wall.
I have Forte II for mains, SVS prime center and 2 PB1000.
Main use is for TV/ movies and 5.1 music.
I don't want to go any bigger.
Is there something better similarly priced?
I need to keep the surounds small.
Wife is already unhappy with the front stage.
Thanks in advance.
I understand your limitations, I have similar ones. My surrounds are very small and for movies they seem to be fine, but for music it is Very noticeable when playing 5.1 sources. The instruments in the front sound lifelike and alive...the ones in the surrounds are pretty anemic. Just be prepared.

OP
Cadmobile500

Cadmobile500

I understand your limitations, I have similar ones. My surrounds are very small and for movies they seem to be fine, but for music it is Very noticeable when playing 5.1 sources. The instruments in the front sound lifelike and alive...the ones in the surrounds are pretty anemic. Just be prepared.
Which speakerdo you think would be better?
The Monoprice is rated down to 80hz but I'm not sure.

Doctors11

I haven't heard either but the above graph shows the Monoprice taking a dive after about 100hz, whereas the Cambridge loses it after 150hz. So between those two I would think the Monoprice would be better, especially if crossed over to you sub at about 110 hz.

Edit...The Monoprice are 4 ohm and very low sensitivity, 81. You'll need a receiver with some good amps to drive them properly.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Monoprice Monolith has very flat frequency response, and it is coaxial design, with 20 mm tweeter!
Cambridge Minx Mini 12 has only one wideband BMR driver, and its frequency response is anything by flat, judging from the predecessor.
I vote for Monoprice.

OP
Cadmobile500

Cadmobile500

Most of my music listening is in stereo. When I said 5.1 music I should have really said 5.1 rock concerts. I believe most of what is in the surounds for what I listen to is crowd noise and maybe ambience.

OP
Cadmobile500

Cadmobile500

I haven't heard either but the above graph shows the Monoprice taking a dive after about 100hz, whereas the Cambridge loses it after 150hz. So between those two I would think the Monoprice would be better, especially if crossed over to you sub at about 110 hz.

Edit...The Monoprice are 4 ohm and very low sensitivity, 81. You'll need a receiver with some good amps to drive them properly.
The Forte are powered by a Crown XLI2500 wich I believe should free up some power on my Denon x3300.
Is this correct?

Doctors11

The Forte are powered by a Crown XLI2500 wich I believe should free up some power on my Denon x3300.
Is this correct?
I don't know enough about how receivers work to answer this. You should post this question in the AVR section, either here or over on AVS forum.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
You will be fine using the crown amps and the receiver for surrounds. You are correct you will get more power if driving less speakers with the receiver. That Denon should have no problem just powering surrounds even if 4 ohm.

OP
Cadmobile500

Cadmobile500

Got the Monolith THX satellites.
Quick one position test with MultEQ-X.
thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    223.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    224.8 KB · Views: 89

staticV3

Master Contributor
Doesn't look very nice, but in-room sweeps rarely do.

Do you think you could make an MMM measurement using REW instead?
That would better show actual in-room response.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is a MMM measurement?
Moving Microphone Method is where you play pink noise on your speakers and slowly move the microphone while measuring.
Using this, you can get 100+ averages in less than a minute.
That way, the hyper local room interference gets averaged out and you're left with a clean in-room response.

Here's a PDF explaining why MMM is better than sweeps and how to do it: https://www.ohl.to/audio/downloads/MMM-moving-mic-measurement.pdf

I don't have a REW mic at the moment
Got it. No worries

Top Bottom