• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to powered monitor

Steve Rogers

Hi

I I want to connect an RCA to a powered monitor that has am unbalanced jack input (such as Adam T5V or JVC 305p etc.). I will buy two monitors for stereo so need two cables, RCA to Monitor, but what cables to I need to buy? I guess its trivial but there are different Jack sizes and not sure if TS/TSR matter. I buy them by mail order to Israel so I don't want to get it wrong as turnaround is weeks. In fact a link to one on Amazon or Ali Express would be great, I don't need anything fancy, am perfectly happy with Amazon Basics level.

Steve

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A pair of RCA male to 1/4 inch TS male for unbalanced.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
not sure if TS/TSR matter.
You really should know exactly what you're dealing with... A 1/4-inch headphone is unbalanced stereo with separate left & right signals, plus ground. Same with the 1/8-inch TRS connections on a regular soundcard.

A TRS-to-RCA Y-adapter splits-out the left & right signals and its not correct as a balanced adapter (although you can probably use the left or right connection (but not both).

Balanced headphone connections are different, requiring 4 wires/connections.

A 1/4-inch balanced TRS connection is mono. so you need separate plugs for left & right.

An RCA-to-TS Adapter will work on a balanced TRS input and it will usually work on a balanced output. (It does ground-out the other-unused signal connection which is OK on an input, but not always OK on an output.)

sonitus mirus

Hi

I I want to connect an RCA to a powered monitor that has am unbalanced jack input (such as Adam T5V or JVC 305p etc.). I will buy two monitors for stereo so need two cables, RCA to Monitor, but what cables to I need to buy? I guess its trivial but there are different Jack sizes and not sure if TS/TSR matter. I buy them by mail order to Israel so I don't want to get it wrong as turnaround is weeks. In fact a link to one on Amazon or Ali Express would be great, I don't need anything fancy, am perfectly happy with Amazon Basics level.

Steve

Just taking a quick look at the two powered speakers that you included, the JVC 305P would work with any RCA to 1/4" TS, but keep an eye on reviews for your specific purpose and opt for good shielding if the price is reasonable.

Something like these:

For the Adam T5V, it does not appear to have 1/4" TLR balanced inputs, only 3-pin XLR inputs. It does have an unbalanced RCA input already, so you could just connect directly with a standard RCA cable; however, if you want an RCA to balanced XLR option, you could choose something like this cable:

Reactions: GDK

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
What exactly is the device with RCA outputs that you want to connect? Keep in mind that you may also need to be looking out for ground loop issues, as a majority of active monitors are IEC Class I devices. The JBLs are also notorious for increased input noise levels with an unbalanced connection. A Behringer HD400 may well be paying for itself. (When using one, I'd recommend a set of two RCA to 1/4" TS and 1/4" TRS to XLR cables each.) Also, don't you guys have access to a music retailer (the equivalent of Thomann or Sweetwater and such)? Amazon will peddle a lot of dubious Chinese crap.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Very long RCA cables require a heavy braided shield, to reduce Common Impedance Coupling noise.
The best choice might be the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1.

OP
S

Steve Rogers

What exactly is the device with RCA outputs that you want to connect? Keep in mind that you may also need to be looking out for ground loop issues, as a majority of active monitors are IEC Class I devices. The JBLs are also notorious for increased input noise levels with an unbalanced connection. A Behringer HD400 may well be paying for itself. (When using one, I'd recommend a set of two RCA to 1/4" TS and 1/4" TRS to XLR cables each.) Also, don't you guys have access to a music retailer (the equivalent of Thomann or Sweetwater and such)? Amazon will peddle a lot of dubious Chinese crap.
My pc is connected via USB to a Behringer UCA222. At the moment there are RCA cables from the UCA222 to a small and very cheapo chinese amp powering some focal chorus 707s which is a passive speaker. The 707s goes to my daughter together with another amp that has been freed up (chinese cheapo is retired) and as I am such a good Dad I treat myself to a desktop monitor :) I will go to a retailer to listen and choose monitors but I prefer to buy cables online as dealers here overcharge for them. As of now no ground loop problems

OP
S

Steve Rogers

Just taking a quick look at the two powered speakers that you included, the JVC 305P would work with any RCA to 1/4" TS, but keep an eye on reviews for your specific purpose and opt for good shielding if the price is reasonable.

Something like these:

For the Adam T5V, it does not appear to have 1/4" TLR balanced inputs, only 3-pin XLR inputs. It does have an unbalanced RCA input already, so you could just connect directly with a standard RCA cable; however, if you want an RCA to balanced XLR option, you could choose something like this cable:

I never realized that - are you saying a standard RCA cable goes into the Adam - I thought it would need a prong like in a headphone input

OP
S

Steve Rogers

Very long RCA cables require a heavy braided shield, to reduce Common Impedance Coupling noise.
The best choice might be the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1.
The distances are short, a pc below a desk and the monitors on a desk.

sonitus mirus

I never realized that - are you saying a standard RCA cable goes into the Adam - I thought it would need a prong like in a headphone input

It appears that the T5V can accommodate either balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA with a switch setting.

T5V.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My pc is connected via USB to a Behringer UCA222.
How historic is your PC that you need this old thing? I would think that most any onboard audio from about the last decade should be at least as good if not better.

As of now no ground loop problems
Yet.

I got my first pair of active monitors in 2007. Ground loop noises could be reduced to a manageable level by turning down input sensitivity, but it took me years to get rid of them entirely. Unbalanced connections with IEC Class I devices on both ends just don't work too well.

OP
S

Steve Rogers

It appears that the T5V can accommodate either balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA with a switch setting.

View attachment 207031
Thats right,
How historic is your PC that you need this old thing? I would think that most any onboard audio from about the last decade should be at least as good if not better.

Yet.

I got my first pair of active monitors in 2007. Ground loop noises could be reduced to a manageable level by turning down input sensitivity, but it took me years to get rid of them entirely. Unbalanced connections with IEC Class I devices on both ends just don't work too well.
The pc is a dell vostro 3671 az-09 puchased lat year. So you think i would be better connecting to audio out and using the onboard dac? As for balanced connections that would mean extra money on interface so i prefer not to go there unless i have a problem.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The pc is a dell vostro 3671 az-09 puchased lat year. So you think i would be better connecting to audio out and using the onboard dac?
At least it should definitely not be worse, depending on which Realtek chip Dell decided to use. You would be well advised to install the latest Realtek audio drivers though, and Waves MaxxAudio may best be uninstalled entirely. (Ah, the age-old fight against sound misimprovements.)

Speaking of drivers and such, there's a few recent updates for this system including a BIOS from April of this year.

As for balanced connections that would mean extra money on interface so i prefer not to go there unless i have a problem.
I get that, but you are bound to run into problems with what you are trying to do unless you are very careful. The variant including the HD400 and assorted cabling is one of the cheaper options (about 40-something € all in around here) and proven to work.

Top Bottom