• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

QX-Over Earphones (2-Way Earphones by Qudelix).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Qudelix team (the team behind the Qudelix-5K DAC, DSP and headphone amplifier) is releasing a an earphone for Qudelix-5K next month.

it consists of two 8mm dynamic drivers and the digital crossover will be managed by the Qudelix itself.

e1.jpeg

e2.jpeg

When questioned about the frequency response of the earphones they released a blog post saying 'Frequency response is not all that matters' and that 'we should be happy by the reduced IMD and improved transient response (???) that the two drivers will provide'.

https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp/qx-over-earphones

As always I only assume the worst when the manufacturer intentionally diverts our attention.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Intresting plug. They might be running one pair of drivers balanced and other pair single ended. I wonder what level of dsp adjustability will be offered if any.

buz

Forum Donor
“ you can optimize the FR using the Qudelix-5K EQ to whatever you want to have.“

They might have a point there

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really clever idea anyway.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Not if you don't have a reference, some of us don't want to play DJ while listening to music.

You could buy a pair then send them to headphone engineer oratory1990 who will measure them for free (he might even be able to verify/debunk claims of audibly improved IMD/transients). He's in Austria and I see you're in Belgium so I would think shipping would be fairly affordable. Or ask him if he could get hold of a pair himself (I think Qudelix already sent him a 5K sample to review). Any measurements Qudelix might provide themselves probably wouldn't be using as high accuracy industry standard equipment oratory1990 uses anyway so they couldn't be definitively relied on.

Reactions: buz

Joel

If they stick to their target price I’ll prob get a pair since the 5k has become my goto non-work DAC/amp.

LearningToSmile

Two dynamic drivers seem pretty unique, there's a lot of hybrid/tribrid IEMs(and at least one quadbrid I know of) but I don't think I remember hearing about any IEM that crammed more than one dynamic driver per side. Tying the crossover capability exclusively to their dac/amp is a questionable business decision though.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two dynamic drivers seem pretty unique, there's a lot of hybrid/tribrid IEMs(and at least one quadbrid I know of) but I don't think I remember hearing about any IEM that crammed more than one dynamic driver per side. Tying the crossover capability exclusively to their dac/amp is a questionable business decision though.

i don’t think they could’ve done the crossover passively, and considering how cheap it is i think it’s a great way to further promote the Amp.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i don’t think they could’ve done the crossover passively, and considering how cheap it is i think it’s a great way to further promote the Amp.

Well you're unlikely to be running them from anything else given that plug.

Jimmy

There are more IEMS with two DDs although the normal is one DD and one ore more extra BAs.

Not an IEM per se, but I've just bought a pair of wireless Soundpeats Trueengine 3SE , they have also two DDs and sound pretty nice for the price.

2M2B

Never understood the push for multi driver IEM's when the data shows there no gains like they are with Speakers. Many seem to tout better bass quality, but that ignores that the ear chamber allow the diaphragm to do more with less excursion than say an Over ear headphone with 40mm driver. The ER4SR with 6db 100Hz sounded as good many bassy 3+ Driver IEM's I tried, also many IEM's that tout 10.5mm DD's.

It would be fun to see the next IEM review being the ER2SE and that being compared to more pricer ones.

Lunafag

Two 8mm drivers? Unless it's two different drivers that just happen to be the same size I just can't see how this is going to improve anything. Still, the technology is long overdue, and $35 for such a niche product? That's a steal, I see people getting it just for the cable to DIY. But if the drivers are actually different and if we get reliable measurements for it then it should be good on its own.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
, and $35 for such a niche product?

the product is not usable without a 110$ headphone amplifier. i think it's important to keep that in mind.

For example it's illegal in many countries to sell these earphones on their own.

CedarX

Forum Donor
The Qx-over IEM is driven through 4 independent SE channels from the 5K: the proprietary plug uses the 2.5mm input for the 4x "+" (L-Low/R-Low/R-High/L-high and the 3.5mm as the "-" (common ground). The 5K must have some internal feature to detect that plug and switch over to a 4x SE channels configuration.
On the 5K companion app, the High & Low gains are separately adjustable, but the low/high-pass crossover frequency(ies?) is not. Interestingly, the L/R balance can be trimmed independently on the Low & High drivers which may give more control about imaging. I imagine they could implement a separate L/R crossfeed adjustment for the High and Low drivers as well...
I assume IEM freq. tuning is tough due to size & ergonomic constraints which is probably why multi-drivers IEMs are so common (plus the Marketing BS: the more drivers, the better!). But... (correct!) filter design must be a challenge and I can see Qudelix's point of eliminating unwanted phase shifts & distortions...
Qudelix also claims better DAC performance due to band-limited digital audio input on each channel: I have not heard that before... What's the theory behind that?

Reactions: eas

buz

Forum Donor
Is it just me who is bothered paying 20USD shipping on a 29USD item?!?

Top Bottom