• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

QX-Over Earphones (2-Way Earphones by Qudelix).

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, predicting audible results by looking at an FR graph, are we?

Guess I'll be lucky to have the 5K's PEQ to fix it, huh?

This is not a prediction, these earphones will sound dark but not in a problematic way due to low Q peaking in the bass.

probably best for bedtime Youtube watching or overlybright mainstream pop music.

GaryH

Major Contributor
So, predicting audible results by looking at an FR graph, are we?

Err...yes. That's precisely what Harman's research showed, that IEM sound preference in double-blind listening tests can be predicted from their frequency response with an accuracy of 91%.

Guess I'll be lucky to have the 5K's PEQ to fix it, huh?
yeah but no sharp peaks and dips so matching a target with the 5K’s PEQ is trivial,

Not quite. No doubt PEQ can improve it (Oratory's takes it to a 87/100 preference rating), but not as much of an improvement as his PEQs on other IEMs. If you look at his EQ you'll see he hasn't fully corrected the large dip ~5-8 kHz (likely due to non-flat excess group delay there), nor the 8 kHz spike (probably because it's high-Q and its frequency could be slightly different for different ear canals).

Last edited:
OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite. No doubt PEQ can improve it (Oratory's takes it to a 87/100 preference rating), but not as much of an improvement as his PEQs on other IEMs. If you look at his EQ you'll see he hasn't fully corrected the large dip ~5-8 kHz (likely due to non-flat group delay there), nor the 8 kHz spike (probably because it's high-Q and its frequency could be slightly different for different ear canals).

he probably didn't correct the 5-8KHz because -5.4 dB pre-amp is already too much and he's usually very stingy about how much negative gain he uses since his corrections are 'one set of filters fits everyone'

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/nu77qp

GaryH

Major Contributor
he probably didn't correct the 5-8KHz because -5.4 dB pre-amp is already too much and he's usually very stingy about how much negative gain he uses since his corrections are 'one set of filters fits everyone'

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/nu77qp

Doubt it. Many of his other IEM EQ profiles have much more extreme required preamp, e.g. the Etymotic ER-4XR with its -9.3 dB preamp. The Qx-Over's ~6.5 kHz dip would need 3-4 dB more boost in addition to Oratory's EQ to fully correct it, which would still result in a preamp within the ER-4XR's -9.3 dB. I've even seen preamps down to -12.5 dB on some of his other IEM EQs.

Last edited:
OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@GaryH In case you're still interested in the reason why he didn't correct that range.

1627403475515.png

GaryH

Major Contributor
Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
that was his response for the entire range between 5KHz and 8KHz.

From his FAQ:
Why do you rarely use EQ to remove the resonance at 7-9 kHz on in-ear headphones?
That’s what we call the Ear Canal Resonance. It’s a half-wavelength resonance of your ear canal and it depends heavily on how far you insert the earphone into your ear.
On in-earphones designed for deep insertion (like Etymotic) this resonance can shift to over 10 kHz, on some earphones designed for shallow insertion (like Sennheiser IE800) it typically lies at 7 kHz.
You will have to look for this resonance yourself and adjust the filters accordingly. I can’t do that for you because it depends on your ear canal.

As the Wikipedia article he links says, an acoustic resonance is an amplification of certain natural frequencies. A dip (such as the QX-Over's centred on 6.5 kHz) is not an amplification, and so not a resonance.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From his FAQ:

As the Wikipedia article he links says, an acoustic resonance is an amplification of certain natural frequencies. A dip (such as the QX-Over's centred on 6.5 kHz) is not an amplification, and so not a resonance.

Take it up to him I guess. :)

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have nothing to take him up on. I am taking you up on your misunderstanding/misrepresentation of what he said though.

you asked why he didn't do anything with that region, I wasn't sure so I texted him on reddit and I shared the response.

yet you're still arguing with me, I'm confused. :D

GaryH

Major Contributor
I'm confused

Evidently. As I thought I clearly explained in a previous post, because he is talking about a resonance (which is an amplification), Oratory's answer is obviously only referring to the QX-Over's 8 kHz peak, and not the 6.5 kHz dip, because the former is a resonance (amplification), whereas the latter is not. If you still don't understand this, I suggest you carefully read the Wikipedia article Oratory linked to in his FAQ in order for you to learn what a resonance actually is.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Evidently. As I thought I clearly explained in a previous post, because he is talking about a resonance (which is an amplification), Oratory's answer is obviously only referring to the QX-Over's 8 kHz peak, and not the 6.5 kHz dip, because the former is a resonance (amplification), whereas the latter is not. If you still don't understand this, I suggest you carefully read the Wikipedia article Oratory linked to in his FAQ in order for you to learn what a resonance actually is.

well he thinks the entire region between 5KHz & 8KHz should be adjusted based on personal preference.

If you disagree with this open a post on his reddit and talk about it. I have no opinion on this matter.

GaryH

Major Contributor
well he thinks the entire region between 5KHz & 8KHz should be adjusted based on personal preference.

If you disagree with this open a post on his reddit and talk about it. I have no opinion on this matter.

For the last time, his reply to you is only referring to the resonance peak around 8 kHz. He suggests adjustments to any of his EQs to personal preference if you feel you need them, but that is a distinct issue to not fully correcting large erroneous dips in the frequency response such as the QX-Over's centred on 6.5 kHz.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the last time, his reply to you is only referring to the resonance peak around 8 kHz. He suggests adjustments to any of his EQs to personal preference if you feel you need them, but that is a distinct issue to not fully correcting large erroneous dips in the frequency response such as the QX-Over's centred on 6.5 kHz.

1627486580125.png

This is the last time i'm participating in this conversation. Good Luck.

GaryH

Major Contributor
View attachment 144101
This is the last time i'm participating in this conversation. Good Luck.

Your're still not getting it are you. He's saying it's the resonance peak that can significantly vary between ears and may need manually adjusting, but the problem with the QX-Over's response that means it's not 'trivial' to correct with EQ as you originally claimed is the close proximity to the resonance peak of its medium-Q dip centred on 6.5 kHz, which may partially overlap with the resonance peak for some ears.

tjf

Hi, anybody tried these QX-Over IEMs yet with the 5K DAC?

Just curious -- just got my set and so far pretty impressive sound for a $158 investment -- especially with some quick EQ adjustments via the 5K DAC...

I won't go into any specific subjective opinions and/or comparisons about what I'm hearing and how this compares with my other subjective experiences with other Dongle DACs and IEM phones -- but I can at least suggest it's a pretty competitve sounding set -- especially if you use a decent lossless streaming platform or ripped CD files, but this is as far as I'll go with my subjective opinions here...Apologies if anyone has been offended!

Oso Polar

Frequency response looks awful. I'm not sure what was the point of producing this - seem to be yet another pair of junk quality "gym-only" IEMs. :facepalm:
Qudelix-5K is an excellent breakthrough product but this... such a disappointment!

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frequency response looks awful. I'm not sure what was the point of producing this - seem to be yet another pair of junk quality "gym-only" IEMs. :facepalm:
Qudelix-5K is an excellent breakthrough product but this... such a disappointment!

it doesn’t matter, they already include the filters necessary for the harman curve (and several others) in the 5K. So you’re a click of a button away from the best frequency response.

Top Bottom