• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quotable Quotes

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"""Blessed are the cracked ones, for they will let the light through"" Michel Audiard

Reactions: PSO

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1.jpg

murraycamp

Forum Donor
“Don’t play what’s there, play what’s not there.” – Miles Davis

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -- variously attributed to Frank Zappa, Laurie Anderson and a few others, none of whom were architects.

I expect one among the subjectivists beginning to overrun ASR will purloin the above to post "Studying measurements of DACs and amps is like dancing about architecture".

Edit: I hasten to add that while I find the quip above to be funny and somewhat memorable, I do not subscribe to its sentiment. Likely it was a put-down by the originator in response to a negative review by a critic. Of course, it has the obvious import that actually doing something, especially if it is a creative activity, is different than, and primary to, writing about it. The quip could be applied to lots of experiential activities, including dancing :), painting, eating gourmet food, sex, surfing, walking on the moon, the list goes on ... However, the quip devalues music criticism, and in a broader sense, music theory and theory of acoustics of musical instruments, theory of music, art critiquing. Admittedly, nuanced description of subjective experience is fraught with vocabulary difficulties and ambiguities, and in the final analysis cannot substitute for direct experience. Yet, over the years, I and lots of others have benefited greatly from the writings of competent music critics, not to mention the value of the other oral and written essays on art theory/science and on other areas of human sensation-based experience.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thud: try the fuse in one direction vs the other :)

egellings

Major Contributor
I saw this on a poster in a bunker in the Viet Nam war. It shows to hippos having sex, and the caption read " Fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity."

jkasch

Forum Donor
We do, doodley do, doodley do, doodely do,
What we must, muddily must, muddily must, muddily must;
Muddily do, muddily do, muddily do,muddily do,
Until we bust, bodily bust, bodily bust, bodily bust.​
Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Cat's Cradle

egellings

Major Contributor
Here's to it
And at it