• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann MA1 Multichannel Problem with ESI 86XT 5.1 Measurement

Ron78

Hello,

I don't know why but the MA1 software says that my USB interface ESI U86XT does not have enough channels, error message MA1 see picture and also the technical data of the U86XT. What could be the proverbial catch?

Attachments

• ESI U86XT.jpg
    ESI U86XT.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 43
  • MA1.jpg
    MA1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 50

Curvature

Major Contributor
Check channel config settings.

Check ASIO driver.

Those would be my starting point. Another is to make sure whatever way you are connected to your computer can handle and is passing multichannel signals.

OP
R

Ron78

The Win11 multichannel test is correct, all sounds are output to the correct speakers. Asio4All does not help me either, because it does not find the ESI at all.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I don't know what else to do other than to contact Neumann. I've never had the problems with the MA-1 that some experienced and use an RME interface.

Tremolo

Have you tried the ESI asio driver instead of ASIO4all?

OP
R

Ron78

I order another interface, the U86XT is not usable from the surface, because you can't change the DPI even with Windows means except to reduce the resolution, that's exactly why I buy 4K..... let's see how it works with the other interface. Yes, the driver is installed.

OP
R

Ron78

Unfortunately, I can't get any further because I don't know where the error is. The 5 KH80DSPs all have the same settings and I have also set them to the factory settings.

The Tascam 208i has 8 line outs and when I switch the speakers to these the "error" appears, see picture, but in the software of the 208i everything is set to the same settings.

Do any of you understand, this is now my 2nd attempt with a different interface and it still doesn't work.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 131353.png

Curvature

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, I can't get any further because I don't know where the error is. The 5 KH80DSPs all have the same settings and I have also set them to the factory settings.

The Tascam 208i has 8 line outs and when I switch the speakers to these the "error" appears, see picture, but in the software of the 208i everything is set to the same settings.

Do any of you understand, this is now my 2nd attempt with a different interface and it still doesn't work. View attachment 333318
I would run it and see what happens, checking with a REW measurement at the end.

OP
R

Ron78

I can't get any further with the "result" at this point, i.e. it's impossible to go any further.

I don't understand why the 2 channels have such a low/high level, everything is at the same volume etc.

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
I can't get any further with the "result" at this point, i.e. it's impossible to go any further.

I don't understand why the 2 channels have such a low level, everything is at the same volume etc.
Extremely disappointing. Have you tried contacting Neumann?

OP
R

Ron78

I had emailed Neumann about the interface I had before for testing, but apparently it was completely unsuitable and was not recognized by the MA1 software. So it became the Tascam, which is now recognized but has these signal level problems. Factory settings loaded on all new devices, also on the interfaces etc. I have now ordered a 3rd interface and hope that it will work. It can't be that difficult to simply pass on signals via the outputs out of the box.

I'm convinced of Neumann, including the MA1 etc. Everything was easy to use before and there were only one or two teething troubles. Nothing that couldn't be solved quickly and easily. But this multichannel story of only needing one interface with 6 outputs, which are necessary for 5.1 calibration, well, yes.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I had emailed Neumann about the interface I had before for testing, but apparently it was completely unsuitable and was not recognized by the MA1 software. So it became the Tascam, which is now recognized but has these signal level problems. Factory settings loaded on all new devices, also on the interfaces etc. I have now ordered a 3rd interface and hope that it will work. It can't be that difficult to simply pass on signals via the outputs out of the box.

I'm convinced of Neumann, including the MA1 etc. Everything was easy to use before and there were only one or two teething troubles. Nothing that couldn't be solved quickly and easily. But this multichannel story of only needing one interface with 6 outputs, which are necessary for 5.1 calibration, well, yes.
Did Neumann say with which interface it should work?

OP
R

Ron78

It should actually be possible with any common USB interface, for example, which offers the corresponding number of outputs that you want to calibrate and the required voltage for the MA1 microphone. In addition, there is actually the possibility of a complete digital connection.

Top Bottom