• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Montana Heaven...?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
where men are men, women are men and the sheep are nervous. I liked Billings when I went there and lots of unspoiled scenery all over that state. Winters are too brutal for this coastal boy.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure it's pretty but it gets way to cold for me... This is my idea of heaven:
whereisborabora.jpg
I feel the opposite way. I live in New Hampshire and nowadays summer is too hot for me here. So I start thinking someplace like Labrador must be heaven.

TimF

Forum Donor
Warning: Outrageous generaIizations follow. Arizona there are a lot of pickup trucks and many of them and many autos also commonly have bumper stickers with ideological/political proclamations that are aggressive expressions. There are a lot of very edgy bumper stickers in Arizona. Arizona is a border state with an international border. Direct north Montana is a state with a very long international border. Pickup trucks are common but bumper stickers aren't. You just don't see many edgy bumper stickers in Montana. The people in Montana seem to be more content, and are much less (than Arizonans) tied up in inner festering preoccupations, and especially the paranoid ones. Also, the average Joe in Montana may not be as tied into display of wealth and less into the wealth value of possessions than are those in Montana. There are though communities of the wealthy and ultra wealthy in Montana that are totally into wealth, stratification and display of wealth. In Arizona the college coed is overtly sexy and conventionally feminine while in Montana the coed is likely to be very healthy and fit and able to wrestle you to the ground easily. She is an outdoors woman and not into girly femininity. There are cowboys in Arizona but you likely aren't going to meet one and there are cowboys in Montana and it is very possible you could meet one. Montana people are into guns in a different way than Arizonans. It is a practicality on Montana but a sex and power and political thing (guns) in Arizona. If you ever need material for a comedy routine then run an ad in Arizona to sell a used gun, especially a hand gun. You will get calls and everyone one of those will be a genuine comedic person worthy of meeting. You will meet someone with cash in hand to buy your gun driving a car that barely makes it to the meeting place, his dog will smell and have no teeth, similar to his wife, but he has cash for the gun. I lived in AZ of eight years. Also, don't underestimate the degree of political aggression, paranoia and malice in the heart of a hard core conservative in Arizona just because they are smiling. It isn't that kind of smile.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Shiva

Spock made that statement to his betrothed Babe, T'Pring. Too bad it didn't last, but then again, nothing does.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Warning: Outrageous generaIizations follow. Arizona there are a lot of pickup trucks and many of them and many autos also commonly have bumper stickers with ideological/political proclamations that are aggressive expressions. There are a lot of very edgy bumper stickers in Arizona. Arizona is a border state with an international border. Direct north Montana is a state with a very long international border. Pickup trucks are common but bumper stickers aren't. You just don't see many edgy bumper stickers in Montana. The people in Montana seem to be more content, and are much less (than Arizonans) tied up in inner festering preoccupations, and especially the paranoid ones. Also, the average Joe in Montana may not be as tied into display of wealth and less into the wealth value of possessions than are those in Montana. There are though communities of the wealthy and ultra wealthy in Montana that are totally into wealth, stratification and display of wealth. In Arizona the college coed is overtly sexy and conventionally feminine while in Montana the coed is likely to be very healthy and fit and able to wrestle you to the ground easily. She is an outdoors woman and not into girly femininity. There are cowboys in Arizona but you likely aren't going to meet one and there are cowboys in Montana and it is very possible you could meet one. Montana people are into guns in a different way than Arizonans. It is a practicality on Montana but a sex and power and political thing (guns) in Arizona. If you ever need material for a comedy routine then run an ad in Arizona to sell a used gun, especially a hand gun. You will get calls and everyone one of those will be a genuine comedic person worthy of meeting. You will meet someone with cash in hand to buy your gun driving a car that barely makes it to the meeting place, his dog will smell and have no teeth, similar to his wife, but he has cash for the gun. I lived in AZ of eight years. Also, don't underestimate the degree of political aggression, paranoia and malice in the heart of a hard core conservative in Arizona just because they are smiling. It isn't that kind of smile.
As someone who spends lots of time in both places (son and family in Tucson, best friend in Billings), I don't think I'd go that far with those generalizations. Bear in mind, that northern border is a might more friendly and let's just say less "in your face" than that southern one. Be that as it may, folks aren't all that different, and there's pickup trucks aplenty in both places, and guns, whoah baby. Not to mention Arizona is the place not a few Montanans spend those nippy winters...

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Montana has one of the largest per capita percentages of people in the world who routinely control or otherwise hang around thermonuclear weapons. I also wouldn't underestimate their animosity towards our Royalist northern neighbors. What you perceive as contentedness I see biding their time for the opportunity to strike

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't dwell on "heaven", whatever that is, but I've been to Montana a few times and its a beautiful and big and fairly empty place. I've been there in spring and fall primarily, but winter might be a bit much depending where you are. I like some of Tim Cahill's stories based there (as was he). I don't particularly want to live there, tho.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Overheard in Texas, when I was working and roaming the country, 40 years ago or so:

Coloradan: to Texan "If god had wanted Texans to ski, he would have given them mountains."

Texan's reply: "If god had wanted Coloradans to ski, he would have given them money."

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Montana is directly south of my Province of Alberta, Canada so Montana is therefore gorgeous and amazingggg. The Rocky Mountains cut right through The Province of Alberta Canada and then continue on through Montana. Sights galore and beautiful vistas are common.

Last edited:

anome

SK, AB & BC. As to being royalsts, technically sure, but if a referendum had been taken after the death of the Queen, I doubt that would still be the case, as probably for lot of the commonwealth countries ; NZ,AU...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Montana is the place to be for trout and dental floss.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been watching videos about abandoned towns in Montana and it struck me that it might just be Heaven, not that I know anything about the place mind, save for the fact these huge fields with little to nobody around remind me of a heavenscape, if you will. Probably Americans and those that know the area will have something different to say, but some of the images are very heavenly, to my eye.

What do you think, does Montana align with your visual conception of Heaven in this way, if not maybe you have somewhere else in mind?

Nice in summer. Unforgiving in winter (culls the idiots...).

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, all that (amusingly) said, I have old friends in one of AZ's big cities, who are genuinely nice, and progressive, and don't fit any of that stereotype. AZ elected Democrats as Governor and Secty of State. It's considered a purple state...for now.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Overheard in Texas, when I was working and roaming the country, 40 years ago or so:

Coloradan: to Texan "If god had wanted Texans to ski, he would have given them mountains."

Texan's reply: "If god had wanted Coloradans to ski, he would have given them money."

CO today as a higher mean household income and a per-capita income than TX, which remains mountain-poor.

Maybe Coloradans pray better.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:rolleyes: :D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
CO today as a higher mean household income and a per-capita income than TX, which remains mountain-poor.

Maybe Coloradans pray better.
Cost of living is drastically lower in TX (Austin excepted).

Top Bottom