• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quotable Quotes

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never ever listen to any advice from anyone. Except this one.
Eugene Ionesco

Robin L

Master Contributor
Proverbs for Paranoids:

3. If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow.

"This is the b-side of our platter, sports fans, and I'm singing for you just covered in sequins."
Vivian Stanshall, "Canyons of Your Mind"

"I know you know what you know but you should know by now that you're not me."
Neil Innes, "Piggy in the MIddle"

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Poetry can disclose the misuse of language by holders of power, it can attack dangerous archetypes employed to oppress, and it can expose the flimsiness of shabby made-up mythologies. - Gary Snyder, What Poetry did in China, A Place in Space

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.”

― George Best

“I spend a lot of money on booze, birds, and audio. The rest I just squander.”

--- Dasdoing
money1.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Proverbs for Paranoids:
3. If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow.
You could dig lots of lines out of Gravity's Rainbow to quote. Even today it is an odd book. I'd sort of like for some streaming service to try and make it about a 24 part weekly series out of it. I don't know who would be best to do it or how it would work out, but it might be interesting.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.

The Economist, December 4, 2003

― William Gibson

Robin L

Master Contributor
You could dig lots of lines out of Gravity's Rainbow to quote. Even today it is an odd book. I'd sort of like for some streaming service to try and make it about a 24 part weekly series out of it. I don't know who would be best to do it or how it would work out, but it might be interesting.
I'm in the midst [page 344] of my umteenth re-read. Tchitcherine is about to hear the Aqyn's Song, the song about the Kirghiz Light.

A favorite passage from The Crying of Lot 49:

"Whenever I put the headset on now," he'd continued, "I really do understand what I find there. When those kids sing about 'She loves you,' yeah well, you know, she does, she's any number of people, all over the world, back through time, different colors, sizes, ages, shapes, distances from death, but she loves. And the 'you' is everybody. And herself. Oedipa, the human voice, you know, it's a flipping miracle." His eyes brimming, reflecting the color of beer.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I talk about Boltzmann and his sad demise in the glycobiology course I teach.
I was taught that his suicide stemmed from his inability to calculate omega (i.e., the degeneracy) in S = k*ln(omega).
I don't know that for a fact, though.

1625578440148.png

On the other hand, the founding fathers (mostly men, due to the times) of immunology (e.g., Michael Heidelberger and Elvin Kabat) often raised antibodies using themselves as 'guinea pigs', and lived to ripe old age. I met Kabat, late in his life, when he was still working two jobs (at the NIH and at Columbia University) -- an amazing and inspiring man.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I met Kabat, late in his life, when he was still working two jobs (at the NIH and at Columbia University) -- an amazing and inspiring man.
I met Heidelberger late in his life when he was an adjunct at NYU (and still actively playing the clarinet). He hosted the liveliest discussions at his table at the faculty dining room. As a junior faculty member in the 1970's, I always tried to get a seat there.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I met Heidelberger late in his life when he was an adjunct at NYU (and still actively playing the clarinet). He hosted the liveliest discussions at his table at the faculty dining room. As a junior faculty member in the 1970's, I always tried to get a seat there.
That is outstanding! He lived to be 100, if memory serves (103, per Wikipedia).
Those immunologists of old had it goin' on. :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"The unexamined life is not worth thinking about."

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Think twice before you think."

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Civilization is a great idea, I wish somebody would try it."
[Source? Charlie Parker and Ghandi, among others]

Top Bottom