• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix is developing a MiniDSP destroyer.

buz

Forum Donor
I think this is strictly a DAC, no ADC

wslee

Audio Company
Yeah - it's potentially confusing. Normally a "4 driver IEM' just means a 4-way internal crossover. I don't immediately see a benefit to the idea of '4 discrete surround channels' each going to a separate driver in the IEM - that doesn't really seem to offer anything over a 'better IEM' + standard DSP.
Another possible interpretation is that they're implementing the 4-way xover for the IEM in the DSP of the unit, and so need the 8-channel output to feed each driver independenly. This would mean doing typical HTRF dsp-downmixing of the surround material to stereo, but it would explain the somewhat odd pairing of 'virtual surround' functionality with '4 way DSP crossover'.

Yes, normally, we have stereo(2-ch) DAC/AMP and stereo wire interface. And an IEM built-in analog crossover circuit splits the stereo full range audio into each frequency bands.

Qudelix-T71 DAC/AMP has 8-ch DAC/AMP and output 8-ch analog audio signal. Qudelix-T71 IEM receives those 8-ch audio and reproduces acoustic wave with each driver.

Of course, we need DSP processings to make the front-ch sound in front, and to make the rear-ch sound in rear.

The difference is that:

7.1 or 5.1ch --> DSP Processing --> Down-mixing into Stereo --> Stereo DAC/AMP ---> Stereo Speaker Drivers

vs.

7.1 or 5.1ch --> DSP Processing --> 8-ch DAC/AM --> 8 Speaker Drivers

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
However, for stereo audio sources, Qudelix-T71 provides 4-way active digital output, utilizing the 8-ch HW resources.

If I understand that correctly, this means we will be able to use this as a DSP and active crossover into a 4 channel DAC, similar to a miniDSP Studio without the Dirac. If that is indeed correct, and the price is right, this could be a very interesting product.

Reactions: JRS

wslee

Audio Company
However, for stereo audio sources, Qudelix-T71 provides 4-way active digital output, utilizing the 8-ch HW resources.

If I understand that correctly, this means we will be able to use this as a DSP and active crossover into a 4 channel DAC, similar to a miniDSP Studio without the Dirac. If that is indeed correct, and the price is right, this could be a very interesting product.
Correct.
Qudelix-T71 tracks the actual incoming audio number of channels, and processes the input respectively.
If stereo input detected, T71 can process 4-way active crossover and output them through 8-ch DAC/AMPs.

buz

Forum Donor
Do you have any indication about the pricing yet? (broad price range, really)

wslee

Audio Company
Do you have any indication about the pricing yet? (broad price range, really)
Not yet fixed.
But, the form factor would be:

- ARM + DSP(600MHz)
USB Audio Class 2.0
Stereo 384/32
7.1 or 5.1ch
- ES9219 x 4
8-ch Output directly from ES9219 (up to 2V RMS)
- TI OP AMP
3.5/2.5 stereo output from TI OPAMP
for generic 3.5mm UNBAL stereo output
for generic 2.5mm BAL stereo output
- Rotary Volume Knob
- OLED Display
- Built-in Dual MEMS Microphone
- Aluminimum CNC chasis
- No Battery / No Bluetooth

Last edited:

wslee

Audio Company
BTW, T71 and miniDSP differ from each other in many aspects.
Refer to the below images.

Qudelix-T71.jpg
T71.png

buz

Forum Donor
Somehow I am missing the 7.1 connectors on the pictures, will they use a break out cable from the headphone out or how do I use it with speakers?

wslee

Audio Company
Somehow I am missing the 7.1 connectors on the pictures, will they use a break out cable from the headphone out or how do I use it with speakers?
1638444536300.png

T71 uses USB-C connector to output 8-ch analog audio.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad there is no analogue or digital input (other than USB). Could make for a fun active speaker DSP otherwise. What are the DSP options anyway? The DSP chosen is not really a standard old school DSP chip. Can you but the thing without the IEM as well?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
8-Ch Audio Signal 8 pin go through:
TX1+, TX1-, CC1, D+, D-, SUB1, RX2-, RX2+ (Symmetric)
Is this safe for plugging standard USB devices? It doesn't comply to the USB-C alternate mode standard.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to plug USB devices in there. There is another USB input.
Reusing existing connectors for things like this is mostly not a good idea. The chance that users interpret the connector wrong is very high. With any luck, you will not damage the DAC or the other side of the cable. Hopefully, there are some measures taken to prevent misuse.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reusing existing connectors for things like this is mostly not a good idea. The chance that users interpret the connector wrong is very high. With any luck, you will not damage the DAC or the other side of the cable. Hopefully, there are some measures taken to prevent misuse.
Type-C is incredibly sturdy though and i feel like this is the best compromise for a 8-ch DAC the size of a remote control.

Reactions: JRS

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Type-C is incredibly sturdy though and i feel like this is the best compromise for a 8-ch DAC the size of a remote control.
It's not about the sturdiness. It's about the fact that it's a USB-C connector that is repurposed for something else. For a DIY project, not an issue, for a commercial product, it seems risky.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not about the sturdiness. It's about the fact that it's a USB-C connector that is repurposed for something else. For a DIY project, not an issue, for a commercial product, it seems risky.
Would you rather that they make a proprietary connector?

Top Bottom