• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix is developing a MiniDSP destroyer.

Tano

Does anyone have one and have any opinions on using it predominantly in stereo? I wonder if it will measure any differently with regards to SINAD.
I've been using it for months and I love the device, but I don't think it makes sense if you are going to use it for stereo only, unless you need more power than the Qudelix 5k.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been using it for months and I love the device, but I don't think it makes sense if you are going to use it for stereo only, unless you need more power than the Qudelix 5k.

I use the T71 mostly wired with full-size cans. I like it, mostly because of the PEQ, but I agree, the 5K is a better value.

I wonder if it will measure any differently with regards to SINAD.

Differently from what? 2-channels vs. 8?

Tano

I use the T71 mostly wired with full-size cans. I like it, mostly because of the PEQ, but I agree, the 5K is a better value.
That's what I do with my T71 too.
I've been using the 5k for years and highly doubt I could tell the difference on a blind test listening to stereo music.

That said, the T71 offers amazing value in my opinion, cause it makes things that no one does, even at way higher prices.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since getting the qudelix 5k for on the go use I'm now considering one of these for my desktop/sofa use. I move between a pc on my desk and a few other locations in the house, and would like the idea of having more power for headphones and still being able to have eq independent of software. I can see that the power input can be tweaked, can any users comment on whether I'm right in assuming that I can power the t71 directly from a pc usb port without fatiguibg the battery?

Tano

Since getting the qudelix 5k for on the go use I'm now considering one of these for my desktop/sofa use. I move between a pc on my desk and a few other locations in the house, and would like the idea of having more power for headphones and still being able to have eq independent of software. I can see that the power input can be tweaked, can any users comment on whether I'm right in assuming that I can power the t71 directly from a pc usb port without fatiguibg the battery?
That's my use case. I asked the Qudelix guys and they told me that you won't be using the internal battery if you use it on VBUS mode. So you won't have a problem with that.

CedarX

Forum Donor
A few additional comments...

Fatiguing the battery: I assume it's about fatiguing the T71 battery, not the Laptop battery, correct?

The T71 has two power modes, "USB VBUS" and "HYBRID". In either mode, you can enable/disable charging. So, in VBUS mode, it either charges from the USB source (Plus sign in the battery current display/Chrome Ext.)... or not if the battery is fully charged, or if you disabled charging (0 mA current). In Hybrid mode, it takes power mostly from the internal battery (Minus sign in the battery current display/Chrome Ext.), but can take power from the USB source... if you enable charging and the battery is low, or--not sure about that--if it needs an extra power "boost" (in addition to the internal battery).

This is a quite complex power management, but @Tano is correct, in VBUS mode, the T71 never pulls energy from the internal battery.

Unlike the 5K, the T71 does not offer the option to limit the charging to 80% to preserve the battery life... but the battery is replaceable :cool::cool::cool:). It appears fairly easy to replace:
1708525091890.png

You mention more power... T71 certainly has more available power than the 5K, but in my experience, the 5K bal. mode is more than adequate to power about all my headphones except, perhaps, my 600 Ohm DT990 (Not even sure, as I seldom use it...). To me, the main practical benefit of the T71 is the addition of a 4.4mm output besides the 3.5 and 2.5mm output.

One last thing, you indicate desktop/sofa use: the T71 is not as "sofa-friendly" as the 5K IMO. It is much bigger & heavier and I would not leave it hanging from the USB/HP cables as I do with the 5K. Also, the 5K has a shirt clip, usable with a long USB cable... and has BT !!!

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
I don't think it has been reported here... The T71 IEM should be released soon (March).
There is a product page here (in Korean): https://ame-custom.com/AME-LTD/view/4456649
It is branded "AME" and should be sold for ~$200. It is similar in concept to the QX-over IEM, but uses 4 drivers per side (8mm DD, 3x Sonion BA) individually connected to each of the 8x T71 DAC/Amp. I have not seen what controls Qudelix plans to implement: cut-off freq adjustment & gains? Fully adjustable low-pass, band-pass, and high-pass filters?

Not a "surround IEM" as originally anticipated, but definitely interesting! :cool:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my use case. I asked the Qudelix guys and they told me that you won't be using the internal battery if you use it on VBUS mode. So you won't have a problem with that.
That's great, thanks for confirming.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few additional comments...

Fatiguing the battery: I assume it's about fatiguing the T71 battery, not the Laptop battery, correct?

The T71 has two power modes, "USB VBUS" and "HYBRID". In either mode, you can enable/disable charging. So, in VBUS mode, it either charges from the USB source (Plus sign in the battery current display/Chrome Ext.)... or not if the battery is fully charged, or if you disabled charging (0 mA current). In Hybrid mode, it takes power mostly from the internal battery (Minus sign in the battery current display/Chrome Ext.), but can take power from the USB source... if you enable charging and the battery is low, or--not sure about that--if it needs an extra power "boost" (in addition to the internal battery).

This is a quite complex power management, but @Tano is correct, in VBUS mode, the T71 never pulls energy from the internal battery.

Unlike the 5K, the T71 does not offer the option to limit the charging to 80% to preserve the battery life... but the battery is replaceable :cool::cool::cool:). It appears fairly easy to replace:
View attachment 351253

You mention more power... T71 certainly has more available power than the 5K, but in my experience, the 5K bal. mode is more than adequate to power about all my headphones except, perhaps, my 600 Ohm DT990 (Not even sure, as I seldom use it...). To me, the main practical benefit of the T71 is the addition of a 4.4mm output besides the 3.5 and 2.5mm output.

One last thing, you indicate desktop/sofa use: the T71 is not as "sofa-friendly" as the 5K IMO. It is much bigger & heavier and I would not leave it hanging from the USB/HP cables as I do with the 5K. Also, the 5K has a shirt clip, usable with a long USB cable... and has BT !!!
That's right, my use case on the desktop at least would be to not use the internal t71 battery. The pentaconn connector is big plus for me, as is the replacable battery.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a t71 but am having problems with it. It needed a reset straight out of the box, and I can't connect to it with either the chrome plugin on windows 11 or the android app, although the later maybe due to a later revision of the firmware. I've put a question onto the qudelix forum and am waiting for a response, but will send it back to the vendor if I can't fix it. Any tips from owners in this thread?

CedarX

Forum Donor
I bought a t71 but am having problems with it. It needed a reset straight out of the box, and I can't connect to it with either the chrome plugin on windows 11 or the android app, although the later maybe due to a later revision of the firmware. I've put a question onto the qudelix forum and am waiting for a response, but will send it back to the vendor if I can't fix it. Any tips from owners in this thread?
I assume you tried the “Press the orange button for 10+ seconds” aka Force Reset

There is also the “Power the device on (USB plug-in) while pressing the green button” aka DFU mode. I believe it then waits for a FW load from the host using a special tool (???)

That’s the only two resets I’m aware of (they are described in the manual).
For what is worth, I never had to use either one with my T71.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you tried the “Press the orange button for 10+ seconds” aka Force Reset

There is also the “Power the device on (USB plug-in) while pressing the green button” aka DFU mode. I believe it then waits for a FW load from the host using a special tool (???)

That’s the only two resets I’m aware of (they are described in the manual).
For what is worth, I never had to use either one with my T71.
Yes I reset with the orange button. I'll see what happens when support get.back to me.

Tano

The Android app isn't avalaible yet for the T71, but if you have the latest Qudelix Chrome plugin and you can't use the APP properly on windows, something is definitely not normal.
Hope they can help you fix it and you don't have to send it back.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Android app isn't avalaible yet for the T71, but if you have the latest Qudelix Chrome plugin and you can't use the APP properly on windows, something is definitely not normal.
Hope they can help you fix it and you don't have to send it back.
It's fixed. Strange fault though; I got it working with the chrome plugin on another pc, updated firmware and now it works on my original pc both with windows 11 and the chrome plugin and with fedora, although the chrome plugin on Linux doesn't seem to connect despite the t71 being visible in the dialogue box.

kysa

It's fixed. Strange fault though; I got it working with the chrome plugin on another pc, updated firmware and now it works on my original pc both with windows 11 and the chrome plugin and with fedora, although the chrome plugin on Linux doesn't seem to connect despite the t71 being visible in the dialogue box.
WebUSB is 100% broken in Chromium Snap and might be broken in many other formats.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. All set up with eq for a couple of my headphones and have been playing with the controls. It's a superb device, will be even better when it gets the qudelix app. This with Bluetooth is game over as far as I'm concerned.

paudio

Kind of wish this had more hardware controls. I don't need more power than my Qudelix or ES100 gives me so I don't think I will be upgrading. I think this thing with some digital knobs and controls for some of the software features for a desktop format would sell like crazy.

Top Bottom