• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Daveya.

Been given different settings on Reddit, apparently the settings in the Qudelix are bit the same as those in the Oratory Reddit which seems odd, but the PDF gives you tweaking suggestions and I'm liking that

Blorg

Been given different settings on Reddit, apparently the settings in the Qudelix are bit the same as those in the Oratory Reddit which seems odd, but the PDF gives you tweaking suggestions and I'm liking that
The AutoEQ settings in the Qudelix are automatically generated by AutoEQ from Oratory1990's measurements. Same with the Crinacle ones, these are not done by those people, they are just from their measurements.

This is different from Oratory1990's profiles which he produces manually and tests and tweaks by listening.

I generally find Oratory1990's own profiles to be much better, the AutoEQ ones often sound very bad to me. I strongly recommend taking a preset he has published there and manually entering it, over using the AutoEQ tab.

Daveya.

The AutoEQ settings in the Qudelix are automatically generated by AutoEQ from Oratory1990's measurements. Same with the Crinacle ones, these are not done by those people, they are just from their measurements.

This is different from Oratory1990's profiles which he produces manually and tests and tweaks by listening.

I generally find Oratory1990's own profiles to be much better, the AutoEQ ones often sound very bad to me. I strongly recommend taking a preset he has published there and manually entering it, over using the AutoEQ tab.
Thanks that makes a lot of sense and Incan already hear that for myself

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FYI - Oratory1990's own explanation regarding his measurements/PEQ and AutoEQ is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory199...is_list_different_to_the_github_.2F_autoeq.3F

I ordered a Q5K late last week to replace my Radsone ES100 which is starting to show it's age (in terms of battery life) after 3 years. Unfortunately, it's been delayed due to the postal strike we had yesterday in the UK :(

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Another point to consider. The PEQ recommendation settings you can find from various sources like Oratory, Crinicle and the like. Are in many cases what the special headphone mic detected for that particular headset and the resulting adjustment PEQ table is so you can make these adjustments to get your headset as close to Flat response or a particular Harman Curve result. Many people don’t like Flat and many don’t like the Harman curve either. So my opinion is to use these as baseline tools to work from. Salt and pepper to taste is a lot of fun. For instance I have significant hearing loss in the higher frequencies @ 10K and above. Deaf as a doornail. So I boost most of my PEQ sets in this range to compensate. I am also a huge Basshead. Feel free to adjust to your own tastes and preferences. Experimentation is half the fun of having PEQ tools available. ;)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also worth noting that Oratory1990's guidance for tuning his PEQ settings for personal preference can be found on the bottom right of his PEQ setting PDFs. e.g. from HD 660s PDF...

1666817797855.png

Brianc

Well, got two things to say, the Oratory PEQ without any fiddling is fantastic and wow, ( just unbalanced I'm almost at the peak at what the thing can do, +3DB) my test track , Norah Jones Come Away with me is just lush her voice filling your head with the lovely bass and those hissing symbols , fantastic . The B&W P5 series 2 though at 10 years old and same price back then can hold their own, the PEQ needs a little more base ( I think it's an auto EQ I'm not sure ) and they are easier to drive but to be fair they are great on their own.

Anyway great start for the Sandaras, the balanced cable is needed though, thats another 50 quid and they are on their way.

More later
I have gotten balanced cables for 3 different headphones since getting the Qudelix, all from Hart Audio. Great cables and not terribly expensive. I use a common 2.5 mm interconnect for two of them with 18 inch y split cables for the respective headphones, so that saved a bit of money, but I've still spent more on cables than the Qudelix cost.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I have gotten balanced cables for 3 different headphones since getting the Qudelix, all from Hart Audio. Great cables and not terribly expensive. I use a common 2.5 mm interconnect for two of them with 18 inch y split cables for the respective headphones, so that saved a bit of money, but I've still spent more on cables than the Qudelix cost.
So say we All! ;)

Daveya.

Well what a difference it makes being able to use the Oratory PEQ thanks to the balanced cable, its by far my fave setting

Octopie

Does anyone know how often do new AutoEQ profiles get created? For instance, there were several Crinacle measurements added to his site but they aren’t on AutoEQ. And I assume the Qudelix app will show them when they are added to the AutoEQ site.

Octopie

That seems to be updated quite regularly, however they are still missing several of Crinacle’s measured iems. I’ve noticed some missing from his recent data dump from 4 days ago or so, to some iems measured over a year ago.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I assume the Qudelix app will show them when they are added to the AutoEQ site.

You have to press and hold the 'Auto EQ Preset' tab to update the list. The Truthear x Crinacle Zero were missing from list the when I checked last week, but I updated this morning and it's there now.

*edit* I should add that you don't seem to have to update the list when using the Chrome Addon. In fact, I couldn't find a way to force an update. I assume it checks and updates each time the addon is launched.

Last edited:

Daveya.

Re Sundara Oratory PEQ, Pre gain is 5.5 for one of the low shelf, the notes on the side say you can set the other low shelf to 6db for linear extension, does this now mean the pre gain should change to -11.5?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Re Sundara Oratory PEQ, Pre gain is 5.5 for one of the low shelf, the notes on the side say you can set the other low shelf to 6db for linear extension, does this now mean the pre gain should change to -11.5?
There or thereabouts yes as stacking 2 low shelf filters will possibly (maybe in some electronic music and other low bass stuff) take the sub bass a bit over full scale . You will probably get away with less but I'd use a clipping indicator /limiter if going with much less.

Daveya.

Ok, downloaded Audio player pro, cost £10.48 UK to buy and get MQA, started 3 month Tidal trial

Using Qudelix 5k and Sundara with Oratory PEQ, Sony Xperia 5 iV

So, compared the Sony LDAC ultra HD from Amazon to The usb Audio pro and Tidals MQA.

No difference whatsoever

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, downloaded Audio player pro, cost £10.48 UK to buy and get MQA, started 3 month Tidal trial

Using Qudelix 5k and Sundara with Oratory PEQ, Sony Xperia 5 iV

So, compared the Sony LDAC ultra HD from Amazon to The usb Audio pro and Tidals MQA.

No difference whatsoever
Over Bluetooth? Not going to be mqa then. (not that mqa is better). Either app will be sending basically the same signal over Bluetooth.

Top Bottom