• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No the Audio player pro is usb dac
Well you have just kind of proven to yourself that to your ears, headphones and how you eq them makes a far bigger difference to what you hear than either source file or electronic chain.

Relatively cheap lesson in the grand scheme of audiophilia. Sane folk would say choose your streaming service based on the user experience, library and price far more than the encoding method used.

As for bluetooth- I prefer wired when stationary, but not having a cable tied to my phone when out and about is worth a lot. I havent bothered to test if the Qudelix sounds better wired compared to LDAC playing the same content.

Daveya.

No I hadn't bothered either until just had some time and was curious

For my usage a good phone the Qudelix and Sundara are great, out and about I use an older pair of B&W P5s. Both are fine for my needs and Amazon Music has the music I like.

But was curious to see if I could hear any difference spending an extra tenner on USB Audio pro with Tidal MQA and I can't . Tidal would be more expensive as well as I get a discount on Amazon Music as a prime member .

Dunno what I've learned apart from the Qudelix and Sony phones are bloody good.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No I hadn't bothered either until just had some time and was curious

For my usage a good phone the Qudelix and Sundara are great, out and about I use an older pair of B&W P5s. Both are fine for my needs and Amazon Music has the music I like.

But was curious to see if I could hear any difference spending an extra tenner on USB Audio pro with Tidal MQA and I can't . Tidal would be more expensive as well as I get a discount on Amazon Music as a prime member .

Dunno what I've learned apart from the Qudelix and Sony phones are bloody good.
PS any modern android phone has ldac baked in.

staticV3

Master Contributor
why would that be?
Afaik the LDAC encoder is the same in all phones, not like AAC where there are different implementations.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS any modern android phone has ldac baked in.

I wish it was this simple and I thought the same until recently, but it turns out that not all Android phone manufactures enable LDAC in their ROMs. A friend recently tried buying a cheap Android phone to use with a Fiio BTR7 and found that neither a Motorola or an Oppo would connect with LDAC (the codec was either missing or permanently greyed out in Dev settings). He ended up buying a Poco M4 Pro and replacing the BTR7 with a Qudelix 5K. Poco (Xiaomi) don't officially support LDAC, but it is available on my F3, my son's X3 Pro and the M4 Pro.

Note: I had to disable the APTX Adaptive codec on my Q5K to get it to connect with LDAC consistently (The connection would always revert to APTX Adaptive upon re-connection, even if I tried to force it to LDAC from the phone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish it was this simple and I thought the same until recently, but it turns out that not all Android phone manufactures enable LDAC in their ROMs. A friend recently tried buying a cheap Android phone to use with a Fiio BTR7 and found that neither a Motorola or an Oppo would connect with LDAC (the codec was either missing or permanently greyed out in Dev settings). He ended up buying a Poco M4 Pro and replacing the BTR7 with a Qudelix 5K. Poco (Xiaomi) don't officially support LDAC, but it is available on my F3, my son's X3 Pro and the M4 Pro.

Note: I had to disable the APTX Adaptive codec on my Q5K to get it to connect with LDAC consistently (The connection would always revert to APTX Adaptive upon re-connection, even if I tried to force it to LDAC from the phone)
Bonkers!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh, I just got this and already the first bummer: Very noticeable distortion with the LDAC codec on the left channel.
However I am 99% sure this is the phone's fault.
Setting the bluetooth audio bits per sample to 16 bits in developer settings solves the issue temporarily until the next bluetooth connection .
Come on!

Beyond that the sound quality is great and the PEQ/crossfeed combo is just delightful

GaryH

Major Contributor
Odd...and even odder that it's only in the left channel.

AdamG

Helping you stretch your audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of new features and functionality. Thanks for posting this update. Look forward to this Christmas update release!

Fingers crossed...

1671542726605.png

Top Bottom