• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Q acoustics concept 20, harsh sounding.

Den

Hello,
anyone own the concept 20? I have it and lately I find it kinda harsh, metallic sound. Tried driving it with hk 3490 and loxjie a30. Anyone else feel the same or is it just me? I can just see people write very good things about the speaker. Would like to try it with a marantz, but I'm not sure that will help.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Katji

Major Contributor
I have them. I must sell them, I have some vintage Corals here too that I could use if my active speakers fail.
I used them 1-2 years, this same room. Then got Beta3 pro audio 12" speakers.
They sound good, look good...I often thought "wow, amazing," but eventually realised too much listening fatigue. And terrible bass boom in the kitchen and bathroom - which the PA speakers don't do.

Reactions: Den
OP
D

Den

I have them. I must sell them, I have some vintage Corals here too that I could use if my active speakers fail.
I used them 1-2 years, this same room. Then got Beta3 pro audio 12" speakers.
They sound good, look good...I often thought "wow, amazing," but eventually realised too much listening fatigue. And terrible bass boom in the kitchen and bathroom - which the PA speakers don't do.
Thank you for your reply!
Do you get listening fatigue and bass boom from concept 20? How would you describe the sound of the speaker except boomy bass and listening fatigue? I thought amazing aswell in the start.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes, the Concept 20. I think bass boom was not a problem in the room, but really a problem when I was in the kitchen or bathroom. (Which are close but there is a small "hall"/passage between them and this bedroom.
How would you describe the sound of the speaker except boomy bass and listening fatigue?
hmmm...accurate...clear, clean...[?]
But all that is the room too.
I suppose you could fix the problem with acoustic absorber panels and EQ. ...Starting with UMIK microphone and learning to use REW, with help from the forum.

Reactions: Den
OP
D

Den

Yes, the Concept 20. I think bass boom was not a problem in the room, but really a problem when I was in the kitchen or bathroom. (Which are close but there is a small "hall"/passage between them and this bedroom.

I suppose you could fix the problem with acoustic absorber panels and EQ. ...Starting with UMIK microphone and learning to use REW, with help from the forum.
Alright, thank you! One thing I know is that the speaker is not at all in a optimal position. In the Corner pretty close to the wall. I have to eq down the bass a bit. Might be the problem, but not sure.

OP
D

Den

I have a question. Did you see a significant change after breaking in the speakers? Acctually I change the source a bit and got much better. The only thing that can bother me is some sibilance on some tracks, especially female vocals. Maybe the speaker is too clean/clear sounding. Maybe it will loosen up after some more break in?

OP
D

Den

A little update: Changed the amp/s to a marantz and everything is solved. Everything sounds as it should, if anyone is interested. Didnt have high hopes but it was like night and day.

spacessound

That’s interesting such a modest change in amp made such a difference. I have a pair on their purpose built stands fed by a Yamaha a-s300. They sound fine/balanced; certainly not harsh or strident. They are a bit lethargic in this combo though. My other issue is I need to turn them up a bit too loud for my taste to get the best from them.

OP
D

Den

That’s interesting such a modest change in amp made such a difference. I have a pair on their purpose built stands fed by a Yamaha a-s300. They sound fine/balanced; certainly not harsh or strident. They are a bit lethargic in this combo though. My other issue is I need to turn them up a bit too loud for my taste to get the best from them.
Actually it just solved it sligthly, probably placebo. Also tried different room, but I couldnt stand it. I sold it and havnt missed them since.

Top Bottom