• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSI Audio monitors - do they measure well?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Try and hear both in your room, it really is the only valid way, re distortion unless you sit a long way away 5m plus and play extremely loudly 95dB plus it will simply not be an issue.
Keith

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Hi, sorry to post in a 2 year-old topic but I couldn't find lots about PSI.

Happy to find people with PSI experience here.

I own a pair of PSI A17-M for about a year now. I'm very very pleased with them except for the bass area since... you know, size.

So since I'm so pleased with PSI I was starting to look at the next budget level and had my eyes on the A25-M and their 12" speaker. But at this price point I started to discover a whole new world with D&D 8c which seem to be kind of popular around here.

I read Purité Audio member on this topic stating 8Cs are better than PSIs. I have read all available reviews on forums/websites/blogs around the web about the 8Cs and as they seem quite promising I'm still struggling with buying 12k€ speakers with such high THD numbers.

Also my domestic dedicated room has treated acoustics for >200hz but not bass.

So... I'm having a hard time finding my path. I know 8Cs will be able to offer my a nice phase linearity just like the PSIs. I guess the PSIs will be far better in the THD domain, but the 8Cs may offer a more neutral sound due to DSP-based calibration (especially in the bass domain).

Has anyone struggled with the same dilemma than me here?
The a25m is a 10".

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So... I'm having a hard time finding my path.
This in particular is a whole other topic, as it was my experience as well to treat my room and absorb a lot of decay below 150Hz. Adding more bass with new speakers will not solve it, in fact quite the opposite, it will make it more explicit.

This here may help.

Hmast

This in particular is a whole other topic, as it was my experience as well to treat my room and absorb a lot of decay below 150Hz. Adding more bass with new speakers will not solve it, in fact quite the opposite, it will make it more explicit.

This here may help.
But aren't 8Cs supposed to reduce that bass issue in untreated rooms thanks to the calibration and specific woofers' part conception?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, sorry to post in a 2 year-old topic but I couldn't find lots about PSI.

Happy to find people with PSI experience here.

I own a pair of PSI A17-M for about a year now. I'm very very pleased with them except for the bass area since... you know, size.

So since I'm so pleased with PSI I was starting to look at the next budget level and had my eyes on the A25-M and their 12" speaker. But at this price point I started to discover a whole new world with D&D 8c which seem to be kind of popular around here.

I read Purité Audio member on this topic stating 8Cs are better than PSIs. I have read all available reviews on forums/websites/blogs around the web about the 8Cs and as they seem quite promising I'm still struggling with buying 12k€ speakers with such high THD numbers.

So... I'm having a hard time finding my path. I know 8Cs will be able to offer my a nice phase linearity just like the PSIs. I guess the PSIs will be far better in the THD domain, but the 8Cs may offer a more neutral sound due to DSP-based calibration (especially in the bass domain).

Has anyone struggled with the same dilemma than me here?
I did consider PSI powered speakers and other high end pro models two years ago. I ended up getting a pair of Genelec 8351B’s. I think, one of the most advanced speakers one can buy today. Once calibrated, to my ears, they sound as perfect as I ever got in my home after 20 years of poursuit.

FeddyLost

I'm still struggling with buying 12k€ speakers with such high THD numbers.
Check your SPLs and maybe you'll stay in the region of "acceptable THD".
my domestic dedicated room has treated acoustics for >200hz but not bass
So, IMO you'd better improve bass first than invest a lot into system that will be limited by room.
I'd think about attaching DRC and multi-sub solution to your existing A17 pair.
Also, check out possible distances. A25 IMO require at least 2,5m to LP otherwise they kind of "dominate" over you.
I guess the PSIs will be far better in the THD domain
Not much, I'd say. Even new generation of A25. Just print out their datasheet (at 90 Db/m) and erin's tests, and "overlay" them at least at hand.
may offer a more neutral sound due to DSP-based calibration (especially in the bass domain)
DSP-based calibration is not a perfect solution and some bass domain issues really need some physical actions.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But aren't 8Cs supposed to reduce that bass issue in untreated rooms thanks to the calibration and specific woofers' part conception?
I have yet to see someone with cardioid bass say it fixed their room issues instead of the hard way of measuring, treating, remeasuring, tweaking, etc.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They do, adjustable bass output, and 24 PEQ filters alongside sub/bass/mid/ tone controls.
Keith

jlo

....Also my domestic dedicated room has treated acoustics for >200hz but not bass.
I would just recommend to buy a PSI subwoofer : you just have to find good positions in the room and adjust level.
The PSI loudspeakers have a roll-off position with a high-pass filter for improved headroom but also with a phase response that matches the phase of PSI subwoofers, so to optimize the low frequencies summation.

FeddyLost

I would just recommend to buy a PSI subwoofer
Actually, if you need/have some form of DRC crossover, it's more kind of expensive joke than subwoofer.
It's extremely expensive for spl and distortion that it provides. It's only one good side is "easy integration" with PSI monitors aka daisychaining without DRC platform. Kind of "turn 2 trim pots and you have deeper bass added".
But if you have something less perfect than studio well-treated down to sub-range, it will not magically integrate into something flat.
Sealed home 15" sub will work much better for less money. Just check datasheet.

Martijn W

I have yet to see someone with cardioid bass say it fixed their room issues instead of the hard way of measuring, treating, remeasuring, tweaking, etc.

Fullrange cardioid Geithain user here..

it is not that they ‘fix’ room issues, but existing room issues are activated to a lesser extend as cardioid bass had no/low output to the rear of the speakers.

imo cardioid bass is very valuable in most situations. unfortunatley there are not much cardioid bass speakers available, that i am aware of. actually Geithain is the only one i know as even the Kii Three is not a true (full range) cardioid.

Dutch & Dutch 8C does not have cardioid bass if i understanding correctly, but cardioid mid/lowmid-range. it love its full bass though ;)

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
imo cardioid bass is very valuable in most situations. unfortunatley there are not much cardioid bass speakers available, that i am aware of. actually Geithain is the only one i know as even the Kii Three is not a true (full range) cardioid.

Dutch & Dutch 8C does not have cardioid bass if i understanding correctly, but cardioid mid/lowmid-range. it love its full bass though ;)
8C isn't a cardioid in the lower bass but from what I have read Kii Three is.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is down to around 50 if I recollect with the BLT subs.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm curious about the A23M. It seems they've semi-recently updated to a dome mid from the former cone mid.

FeddyLost

It seems they've semi-recently updated to a dome mid from the former cone mid
Actually, they have developed small dome mid specially for A23.
A23 is more A21 + mid dome than A25, because A23 also have woofer with 170 mm membrane diameter and less powerful amps than A25.

Hmast

They have updated their A25 recently. What makes you say the A23 is superior?

Martijn W

I have a paid of A23.
It's the most advanced speaker from PSI.
Even the new A25 is not as good as the A23

I am not sure if that is true.
While I have no hesitation to believe how advanced and good the A23-M is, your statement imo undermines A25.

A25 has more powerfull amplifiers and the box and woofer are significantly larger.
This means it provides more power, bass extends lower.

While the A23 midrange dome seems brilliant to me, let's not forget about the latest version of the A25 mdirange dome/cone :)

I don't mean to temper your enthousiasm for A23. I would love to hear them and I am sure that in specific situations A23-M could be the better solution than A25!!

Top Bottom