• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

verendus

Expense is not a good measure for good engineering, let alone sound.

I am highly sceptical of the alleged results and the claimed blind listening tests as it is not in line what yes been observed since years otherwise. However, I would be happy to be proven wrong if the OP and post his results.
Why I rarely hang out on this forum. So many people with foregone conclusion based on measurements. I thought for a moment I could have some meaningful conversation with people who have used the product and sure enough this is what I get within a few minutes of posting. Good bye, audio scientists!

DonR

Major Contributor
Why I rarely hang out on this forum. So many people with foregone conclusion based on measurements. I thought for a moment I could have some meaningful conversation with people who have used the product and sure enough this is what I get within a few minutes of posting. Good bye, audio scientists!
When long-cherished beliefs get challenged, it can be an uncomfortable moment.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I dont know what is meaningful about a conversation built on fantasy.... of course unless you want to talk about literature, art etc... and not engineering. Good bye.

TaxTime

This is an "everything sounds the same as long as certain parameters are met" kind of forum. Although I do not subscribe to that view personally, I do post here and do respect that perspective.

I have only posted technical questions, etc. here, as this forum can be a valuable resource; however, as you have found, any mention of subjective experience ("musicality," how a piece of equipment "sounds," etc.) is usually met with immediate negativity against that point of view.

I PERSONALLY subscribe to the fact that human hearing is affected too much by how the brain processes sound (just as human sight is affected by how the brain processes visual input), so there is no way for anyone to state what another hears (or sees), just as no one can state for certainty what another person doesn't hear (or see).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
This is an "everything sounds the same as long as certain parameters are met" kind of forum. Although I do not subscribe to that view personally, I do post here and do respect that perspective.

I have only posted technical questions, etc. here, as this forum can be a valuable resource; however, as you have found, any mention of subjective experience ("musicality," how a piece of equipment "sounds," etc.) is usually met with immediate negativity against that point of view.

I PERSONALLY subscribe to the fact that human hearing is affected too much by how the brain processes sound (just as human sight is affected by how the brain processes visual input), so there is no way for anyone to state what another hears (or sees), just as no one can state for certainty what another person doesn't hear (or see).
It is not about a "point of view" or "a belief" ... most respect that. It is about technical and engineering matters, which can and have been proven many times over.

Or would you take a pill or get into an airplane where the science is based on beliefs and points of views?

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And the childish rage quit!

BYE!!!! BYE!!!!

DonR

Major Contributor

What physically arrives at your ears (or is electrically presented at the output of a DAC) can absolutely be measured and quantified. Where your brain takes it from there is totally up to you which is why individual subjective reviews are basically worthless to everyone else.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why I rarely hang out on this forum. So many people with foregone conclusion based on using measurements scientifically and productively. I thought for a moment I could have some meaningful conversation engage in fantastical thinking with people who have used the product and sure enough this is what I get within a few minutes of posting. Good bye, audio scientists!
fixed it for ya

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
You are welcome. As usual... no facts and very thin arguments. Typical, we see that everyday unfortunatly. You are missing out on something. But suit yourself..

jkr

I am highly sceptical of the alleged results and the claimed blind listening tests as it is not in line what has been observed since years otherwise. However, I would be happy to be proven wrong if the OP and posts his results.
These results are not alleged. They are factual. This was not just my opinion. The panel of listeners also agreed with the statements above. You are welcome to come listen and decide for yourself.

"not in line what has been observed since years otherwise." What???
Expense is not a good measure for good engineering, let alone sound.
None of the listeners even knew which DAC they were listening to until the end of the session. Cost had nothing to do with the results.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
These results are not alleged. They are factual. This was not just my opinion. The panel of listeners also agreed with the statements above. You are welcome to come listen and decide for yourself.

"not in line what has been observed since years otherwise." What???

None of the listeners even knew which DAC they were listening to until the end of the session. Cost had nothing to do with the results.
Then post the „facts“ here or publish them wherever you feel adequate. If valid they should be easily replicable by others and will then be established as new insights. That’s how science works.

Edit. Typo

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
I don't doubt that the PS Audio DACs can sound different, even preferable to some, especially when modified. "Better" and "musical" are non-scientific terms infused with high levels of personal subjectivity and should be avoided. Audio reproduction equipment is not a musical instrument.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The MK1 and MK2 APS Audio transformers are NOT the same.

In listening test that have been performed here, I would rate these 3 DACs from best to worst using instant switching level match blind testing. BTW the worst is a great DAC.

note: I wanted to include the lower priced RME DAC (actually an AD/DA) that has great measurements and sounds fantastic.
#1 DSD MK2 with the MK2 APS Audio transformers installed along with repairing the factory defects and installing 3M RF shielding.
#2 DSD MK1 with Vocm mod, The MK1 APS Audio transformers installed. *NOT using the USB input and with USB shorting plugs installed along with 3M RF shielding on the USB chip and FPGA chip. The USB input is not good in this DAC.
#3 The RME ADI2PROFSRBE. STOCK. In my opinion one of the best sounding (using off the shelf chip AK4493) FPGA A/D D/A converters.

We also use a DDC so all three DACs receive the same exact digital signal and to galvanically isolate the digital source from the DAC's. All DACs are running through an Audio Research preamp balanced connection.

The MK1 is just a little more musical and real sounding than the RME. These are close. The MK1 is a little more focused than the MK2.
The MK2 has a larger stage with instruments sounding a bit larger and spaced farther apart than the MK1. The sound signature (flavor) is the same in both.

This is our take along with a panel of random listeners on our system.
Can you post the methods, subjects, and data? Otherwise you will continue to face skepticism. I wouldn't be surprised that the PS Audio sounds different and less accurate, given its shoddy design, but still more likely that your listeners couldn't reliably tell the difference.

DSJR

Major Contributor
How about clearly hearing differences in recording, mixing and overall production of a piece of music. Many supremely 'musical' audio items I've owned tend to make everything sound the same, so gently 'varnishing' the music...

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Bye. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. Best wishes for a wonderful new year.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So many people with foregone conclusion based on measurements
Staw man much? Measurements are only half of it. The other half are countless scientific listening tests done over a multitude of decades that explain how to interpret these measurements.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is supposed to look like a sine wave:

623-PSDS2fig07-600.jpg

So much noise pollution.
Actually, that is the sum of many sine waves. You people complain about poor value for the money in high end audio - PS Audio is literally providing hundreds of sine waves more than other brands.

It's like the difference between a vintage bordeaux and a grape jolly rancher.

DonR

Major Contributor
Actually, that is the sum of many sine waves. You people complain about poor value for the money in high end audio - PS Audio is literally providing hundreds of sine waves more than other brands.

It's like the difference between a vintage bordeaux and a grape jolly rancher.
MOAR is always better.

Top Bottom