• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Practical example of intersample peak greater than +6 dBFS

Geert

Major Contributor
A hen vs egg issue. DAC manufacturers say "well, don't feed me with signals that generate IS-Overs" whereas producers say "well, a DAC should handle ANY sample sequence I'm feeding it."

And I believe the general concensus is inter sample overs aren't audible, so in the end no one bothers. Not that I support this, for the media player audio pipeline I developed I apply 3dB attenuation to handle ISO's (applied in 32 bits floating point).

I meant, in this post:
If you choose auto 4x, then foobar will use RetroArch lowest quality even when you have the SoX plugin enabled. You can try the file linked below:
auto 4x's true peak level is identical to manually choose RetroArch lowest quality 4x.
I also scanned the same Merzbow album with better resamplers and the dBTP is over 10dB.

Also observed by others:
Like I said, I'm not using RetroArch, I'm using SoX! There is no option for "auto 4x" with SoX in the ReplayGain Scanner in FB2k, I am not really sure what your point is, or how it's relevant to my original post IN THIS FORUM. All my other ISP meters (listed above) are within about 0.1dB of these readings. I keep to 4x cos that's the industry standard for measuring ISPs, and I'm working in "the industry", even though it's not the most accurate. You talk about "better resamplers" and then don't list them...

Sorry, this is probably not the best forum for me, as I'm a music lover and audio engineer above all else, not a scientist. [Skulks back in to the shadows, not like I haven't got a tonne of mastering work to be getting on with...]

bennetng

Major Contributor
There is no option for "auto 4x" with SoX in the ReplayGain Scanner in FB2k, I am not really sure what your point is
Excellent, you seemed to forgotten what you exactly wrote. Obviously you know the settings are there.
screenshot.png

4x.png

Top Bottom