• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power supply limited amplifiers

312elements

You’ve probably seen the specs. The description says 300 watts and you do the math on the included smps only to find that there’s no world in which 300w is possible. My question is if you were to run the amplifier in mono (not bridged) but only using one channel. No rca or xlr connexted to the other channel, no speaker connected to the other output, would the remaining watts be redistributed and made available to the channel you’re running? For reference I’m talking about most of the tpa3255 amplifiers that are paired with underpowered power supplies. Thanks I’m advance.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on whether the limit is a voltage limit or a current limit.

If voltage limited - then no, you won't get extra power since the same maximum voltage into the same speaker impedance will result in the same power.

If current limited, then yes - the current not going into one of the channels will be available to provide power to the other. Though you might not get double the power since to double the current into the one speaker, you'll need to double the voltage - and so it may then become voltage limited before it gets there.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the question i would have is there any cheapo digital amps that have bridge mode as an option

the Merus Infineon line does have it but they are at least double the price of an A07

so there is a hole in the market for a bridgeable digital amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the chips can do it - but most of the cheaper amps are already configured in BTL mode to get the increased power.

The SABAJ A20A (2022) can to it - to get mono 300W (claimed) into 4ohm. In the recent sale that was less than £150.

Last edited:
Top Bottom