• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Supply for Topping E30

Lgvln

Is anyone else getting noise from external PSUs?

I tried using Apple’s 5V/1A and 5V/2.4A power supply and they both introduced electrical noise (similar to those beeping/56K modem-like noise you get from the onboard sound cards).
Apple power supplies are one of the best around (noises linearity etc) so…
There wasn’t this issue when using my Mac’s USB port for power.

The E30 is connected directly to my nCore power amp. Could that be playing a part?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Is anyone else getting noise from external PSUs?

I tried using Apple’s 5V/1A and 5V/2.4A power supply and they both introduced electrical noise (similar to those beeping/56K modem-like noise you get from the onboard sound cards).
Apple power supplies are one of the best around (noises linearity etc) so…
There wasn’t this issue when using my Mac’s USB port for power.

The E30 is connected directly to my nCore power amp. Could that be playing a part?
Wondering if that might be a ground loop…

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got an E30/L30 stack and tried the USB port on the side of the monitor (which goes into a highly overclocked computer), and into a battery UPS with a good Samsung 1.5a charger, and also using a 10,000ma power brick which cost $10 and can charge and provide power at the same time. Easily I'm sticking with the power brick plugged into the 2 amp / 5 volt plug it has. Sitting on the desk away from all interference and sound so good compared to the other options. Plus if the power goes out it'll be fully charged to keep the phone going :)

Forgot to mention the feature on a power bank that provides power while charging is called "pass-through charging" if you shop for one with that feature.

Last edited:

Erispedia

My E30 is kind of weird. Or did I do something wrong?

- E30 data cable plugged to monitor, monitor USB cable plugged to laptop, E30 DC 5V cable plugged to monitor = POWER ON
- E30 data cable plugged to monitor, monitor USB cable unplugged, E30 DC 5V cable plugged to laptop = POWER ON
- E30 data cable unplugged, E30 DC 5V cable plugged to laptop = NO POWER
- E30 data cable plugged to monitor, monitor USB cable plugged to laptop, E30 DC 5V cable plugged to iPhone/iPad/Wall charger = NO POWER

Can someone enlighten me?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
(sorry for the thread revival)

Just to clarify, the E30 will not take power from the USB input socket (even if the source device provides enough power) and must be powered via the barrel connector socket, correct?

EDIT: Found the answer in the E30 review thread, the above is correct.

Last edited:

lewis

I think this is incorrect and it should take power and signal from the laptop.
Just using one cable.

Saponetto

No.
E30 needs to be powered via the 5VDC barrel connector socket, it can't be fed via the USB line.

lewis

Thanks for the reply. I will give up and get something else.
Lewis.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The Topping D10 is USB bus powered. It doesn’t have a separate power socket. Maybe that’s an option.

Top Bottom