• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Another nighthawk. We saw about two dozen of them in toto this evening after dinner. Not terribly close to our house tonight (some years they fly right over us), but still easily observed (if less easily photographed). :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you identifying by dive characteristics and dive noise too?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Are you identifying by dive characteristics and dive noise too?
Flight behavior is easy to ID and pretty diagnostic. I tried to post a few typical postures in the images above*.
I did indeed hear one of them last night -- didn't realize it was the nighthawk I was hearing until Mrs. H pointed it out to me. She is the serious birder in the family. Very serious.

* EDIT. Oops, no, I didn't :facepalm:

Here're some. :)

(from last night)

... and some nicer photos from 2016, when they flew more or less right over our house.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Flight behavior is easy to ID and pretty diagnostic. I tried to post a few typical postures in the images above*.
I did indeed hear one of them last night -- didn't realize it was the nighthawk I was hearing until Mrs. H pointed it out to me. She is the serious birder in the family. Very serious.

* EDIT. Oops, no, I didn't :facepalm:

Here're some. :)

(from last night)

... and some nicer photos from 2016, when they flew more or less right over our house.

Those are very good pics of nighthawks. Can really see the slash across the wing.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The nighthawks were very cooperative in 2016 :)

Last night we had storms, so no birds.

Bleib

Major Contributor
8 days in Tunisia. View from Sidi bou said
IMG_20220823_173132.jpg

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some random pics of living just outside of Houston in Texas I found on my phone.

A high pressure, high temperature test bay at work. Used for simulating downhole conditions for tools.
20190909_110507.jpg

A typical rainstorm in Texas, taken from my front porch.
S1380002.JPG

After a storm which ended with a very nice sunset, seen from the rear pavilion. For about 15 minutes, you could actually go outside without melting!
20190601_200822.jpg

Some Kebabs cooked over a wood fire out back. Wish I could eat those over and over again.
20190911_195003.jpg

Right after I moved in and was unpacking. Wasting all the gas in my torch shooting soda bottles across the room as a fun diversion. They went FAST, and I think I broke a few things, but still it was fun.
Bottle Shot.png

Attachments

• S1380002.JPG
    S1380002.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

And cars, because why not?

Setting up a gearset for the Borg-Warner 9-bolt rear I have. Cost a fortune to import from Australia since the only reliable source for these is Holdens.
coast.jpg

Cutting a 4.25" BC lug pattern into some rotors to use my aftermarket rims.
SAM_0075.JPG

Random engine bay shot. 350 w/ L31 bottom end with SFI + Mustang TKO500 5-speed and 3.23 LSD rear-end.
edlvic.jpg

amm

Took this picture today. Backyard hummingbirds are not getting along, wasting their precious energy fighting. They have a long migration ahead.
I wish they knew that they have a devoted servant (my wife) who will provide them with all the sugar water they may ever want or need.
Of course we humans have plenty of our own shortsightedness.

Hum.jpg

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And cars, because why not?

Setting up a gearset for the Borg-Warner 9-bolt rear I have. Cost a fortune to import from Australia since the only reliable source for these is Holdens.
View attachment 228849

Cutting a 4.25" BC lug pattern into some rotors to use my aftermarket rims.
View attachment 228851

Random engine bay shot. 350 w/ L31 bottom end with SFI + Mustang TKO500 5-speed and 3.23 LSD rear-end.
View attachment 228853
Rebuilt a BW four speed transmission in 1971 in my shop class and of course that is a differential. What is car? I believe Holdens are GM?

irontortoise

The American President dancing with the British Queen, July 1976. I find this photo both cute and poignant.

GettyImages-113494347-895x576.jpg

Cars-N-Cans

Rebuilt a BW four speed transmission in 1971 in my shop class and of course that is a differential. What is car? I believe Holdens are GM?
Its the '88 Camaro in my avatar. I have some FWD GMs as well. The car has the 1LE package which included 12" PBR brakes and the B-W 9-bolt rear end, among other things. The brakes and the rear are the only factory parts at this point due to the cars age (package itself came from a later MY Camaro, FWIW since it did not come out until '89). Everything else is aftermarket. As for sharing of parts, for a period of years the B-W was available as an option for these cars other than the 10-bolt factory rears which were so-so. From what I have seen, they also came in other vehicles in Australia like Skylines, and select US made vehicles. To my knowledge the only other rear available in the 82-92 Camaros was the Dana 44, which was extremely rare, but the rear end to have if you can find it. As long as you don't run slicks on the 9-bolts, they seem to hold up well in aftermarket applications where its being run beyond its ratings. Still, it flexes A LOT under heavy load and I had to make my own gaskets to prevent it from leaking as it would just shred the RTV on the diff. cover the first time I floored it. On top of that, the gears have worn in under load, and are now slightly noisy at highway speeds, as opposed to being silent when I first put them in. But, it still seems to work and take the abuse.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
It seems destiny still wants me around! By sheer chance a threat was discovered. Dodged it this one time! Woooohoooo!
Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom