• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable/small DAP sound quality help please

TestWhat456

I'm trying to buy a DAP for my decently resolving and sensitive IEMS but I'd like it to have at least the sound quality of my 2019 16" MacBook Pro. From what I gather, these Intel Macs don't have the same audio circuitry that the newer models with M1/2/3 do, but they're still quite decent (unlike for example my M2 iPad Pro which sounds like nothing worthwhile and worse than the computer despite being much newer).

Something small and portable - I was looking at Shanling M0 Pro and even tested it somewhat, but not for long enough to be able to pinpoint the differences. It seemed a bit less clear/clean than the MacBook and from what I hear, Hiby R3 II and Hidizs AP 80 Pro-x use the exact same SOC with the exact same dual ES9219C so I don't think they'd sound significantly different from the M0 Pro.

Does anyone have some idea of how much it'd cost to get something at least on par with that 4-5 year old MacBook?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd first start with an Apple USB or Firewire 3.5mm adapter and play FLAC files from your existing. I have one for portable use, and it sounds great with lots of power for something so tiny and cost $9.
The Tanchjim Space is a more noticable upgrade. I've had higher end DAPs like the Astral & Kern and just not worth the expense and hassle of another device to charge. Even your phone will sound really good, and so simple compared to lugging another device around.

OP
T

TestWhat456

I'd first start with an Apple USB or Firewire 3.5mm adapter and play FLAC files from your existing. I have one for portable use, and it sounds great with lots of power for something so tiny and cost $9.
The Tanchjim Space is a more noticable upgrade. I've had higher end DAPs like the Astral & Kern and just not worth the expense and hassle of another device to charge. Even your phone will sound really good, and so simple compared to lugging another device around.
I appreciate your thoughts but I should have specified, please: no DACs, I'm specifically looking for DAP opinions and quality ideas.

I have the Apple adapter and another small CX31993 one, and the sound quality out of either my iPhone or the iPad isn't as good as it is out of a MacBook (or the Shanling, actually). Even if it were, I'm really not looking for a DAC because I'd like to have the simple combo of DAP + IEMs without having to use my phone for everything and have another device attached to it to boot.

I should have also added: I don't have any plans to stream or use Bluetooth and have no problems navigating smaller screens, so this is not a consideration to me in DAPs. Only sound quality and size (as small as possible with the most sound quality possible for the physical footprint).

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I have a couple of small dap’s for use with my 7hz Zero 2’s, a Hiby R3 ii and more recently a Tempotec V3. They both use Hiby OS so are practically identical in use and if you asked me what dap sounds better I’d have to shrug and say I can’t tell any difference (being honest). The Hiby is light and very pocket friendly being rounded but the volume dial could be more secure as it does have a slight wobble. The Tempotec is built like a tank and rather heavy, sharp corners and the buttons for operation could be a bit more positive in their action but overall I’m satisfied with it. Both have airplay/bluetooth/wifi/tidal/quobuz etc.

If it’s size and pocketability (new word alert) you are after then choose the Hiby R3 ii.

53439357032_0261ec1e8d_b.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you can find old Hiby R3 Pro with CS43131 go for it but I doubt you will be able to find it.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
"Sound quality" is rarely an issue as long you can drive your IEMs/Headphones loud enough without distortion.

I don't claim to have "golden ears" but the ONLY time I've HEARD a defect or difference from a DAC, it was a noisy soundcard that made noise when the hard drive was accessed.

I've also never HEARD distortion from something unless it was broken or over-driven into clipping.

I've heard frequency response variations but most modern electronics is excellent. (Speakers/headphones/IEMs all have frequency response imperfections and differences.) And all analog electronics have SOME noise and sometimes it's audible.

Top Bottom