• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best dap for new comer?

baronearikov

Hi, I'm (16) new to the audio world, and I'm planning to buy my first DAP. Currently, I usually use my Samsung S10, which I received from my father, as my daily driver (meh audio).

I have around 250 euros now. Can you help me decide among the following options?

1. Shanling M0 Pro
  2. HiBy R3 II
  3. HiBy M300
  4. Shanling M1s
  5. Hidizs AP80 Pro-X
  6. LG G7
Although I've asked this question before on other forums, many suggested getting the M1s or the G7 for a dirt-cheap price. They also recommended saving money to buy IEMs or headphones.
thx

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm (16) new to the audio world, and I'm planning to buy my first DAP. Currently, I usually use my Samsung S10, which I received from my father, as my daily driver (meh audio).

I have around 250 euros now. Can you help me decide among the following options?

1. Shanling M0 Pro
  2. HiBy R3 II
  3. HiBy M300
  4. Shanling M1s
  5. Hidizs AP80 Pro-X
  6. LG G7
Although I've asked this question before on other forums, many suggested getting the M1s or the G7 for a dirt-cheap price. They also recommended saving money to buy IEMs or headphones.
thx
If available where you are I'd recommend the LG V60 over the G7. More recent software, better battery life. Only possible negative is lack of MQA support if that matters to you. V60 battery life for FLAC playback on USB Audio Player Pro (for example) is better than 90 percent of available DAPs, estimated 70 hrs of continuous playing time as tested by me.

bachatero

Hi! I'm 20 so you're not the only young person here.

I checked out all your options and it looks like only the Shanling got an ASR review and didn't do much better than a phone. Therefore, consider throwing those out if you're after pure sound quality because you wouldn't get that.

For the LG G7, also consider that LG is going out the phone business and therefore you are going to be in a bad position in a few years.

Because of that, I would recommend something simple like a DAC dongle or a BT DAC and save your other remaining euros for something else really cool later.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

I checked out all your options and it looks like only the Shanling got an ASR review and didn't do much better than a phone. Therefore, consider throwing those out if you're after pure sound quality because you wouldn't get that.

For the LG G7, also consider that LG is going out the phone business and therefore you are going to be in a bad position in a few years.

Because of that, I would recommend something simple like a DAC dongle or a BT DAC and save your other remaining euros for something else really cool later.
Batteries in digital devices typically don't last in good shape more than "a few years" thus if the LG is used primarily as a DAP the lack of OS updates ought not be a big problem. V60 is on Android 13 (more recent than many DAPs) and software like USB Audio Player Pro will be good for updates as long as the battery lasts.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Hello, and welcome to ASR!

You should consider the following when choosing a DAP:

- does it need to have expansion? How much storage do you need?
- does it need to be capable of streaming?
- is battery life important? How many hours do you need?
- what headphone/IEM do you plan to use? (This determines how important output voltage will be)

I personally consider the quality of the DAC to be the least important feature of a DAP. Nearly all of them are good enough. There are other features that I consider important, e.g. build quality, nice big buttons, ergonomics, fast startup time, big display so I can read the entire track, etc. These may or may not be considerations for you. But then, I am almost 3x your age, maybe even older than your dad, and a few hundred euros is not a concern to me.

JCM800

Earlier this year I bought a Hiby R2 Gen II and it’s been largely disappointing. The sync doesn’t work, phone control doesn’t work and worst of all it plays album tracks in ALPHABETICAL order instead by their track number. It’s usable and maybe a future firmware update will fix this stuff if there’s been nothing so far.

Needless to say I’d steer you away anything Hiby.

DS_Construct

I had the V60 as a DAP and loved it with the dual screens. My issue was that I was and I am paying for tidal mqa so I bought a V50 and all is good. Got mine on eBay for $105. The battery routinely lasts over 35 hours of listening to my tunes on an SD card and streaming on the tidal app. I did the small DAP deal with a Hiby and the features and battery life just don't compare.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
as my daily driver (meh audio).
What's wrong? The "sound quality" should be better than human hearing, on almost any device.

If it doesn't have enough output-power for your headphones/IEMs (or for your taste), something else might go louder. More sensitive headphones/IEMs will also be louder.

Different headphones/IEMs/speakers will ALWAYS sound different (better or worse). Note that with headphones/IEMs there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality. (With speakers you can get better, or bigger, or higher-power speakers for more money.)

The advantage to a phone or tablet (or computer) is that you have a choice of player applications. Again, that shouldn't affect "sound quality", except that they may have different equalizers.

Soria Moria

1. Shanling M0 Pro
  2. HiBy R3 II
  3. HiBy M300
  4. Shanling M1s
  5. Hidizs AP80 Pro-X
  6. LG G7
thx
I have the Hidizs. Measured by Archimago (https://archimago.blogspot.com/2023/06/review-hidizs-ap80-pro-x-music-player.html?)
It's a good device for wired use (bluetooth with it is horribly unreliable for me) and I wish the volume knob was bigger/easier to reach. The sound quality is great as measurements show but you should definitely just stick to your smartphone and a dongle.

Jimi Mack

1. Shanling M0 Pro
  2. HiBy R3 II
  3. HiBy M300
  4. Shanling M1s
  5. Hidizs AP80 Pro-X
  6. LG G7
thx
Keith W has the right suggestion, what is important to you. Are you using FLAC, are you streaming and if so are you using something like Tidal or Spotify. No wrong answer but you need to first fit your needs. The idea of the V60 works as it allows to add on additional USB dac/amps. The phone would then be a transport and the dac/amp will allow you to add features and can update as needed. The choice is yours to find what best fits what you want and can afford. A DAP is a great thing but then you are locked into the hardware/software of that DAP. I use both methods and find myself lately just using the phone with an assortment of DAC/Amps

OP
baronearikov

baronearikov

If available where you are I'd recommend the LG V60 over the G7. More recent software, better battery life. Only possible negative is lack of MQA support if that matters to you. V60 battery life for FLAC playback on USB Audio Player Pro (for example) is better than 90 percent of available DAPs, estimated 70 hrs of continuous playing time as tested by me.
The V60 didn't receive an ASR review. Where can I read about the pros and cons between the G7 and V60? Do I really need MQA? The V60 uses the Sabre ES9219, while the G7 uses the ES9218P.

What DAC dongle or Bluetooth DAC should I buy with 250 euros?
Hello, and welcome to ASR!

You should consider the following when choosing a DAP:

- does it need to have expansion? How much storage do you need?
- does it need to be capable of streaming?
- is battery life important? How many hours do you need?
- what headphone/IEM do you plan to use? (This determines how important output voltage will be)

I personally consider the quality of the DAC to be the least important feature of a DAP. Nearly all of them are good enough. There are other features that I consider important, e.g. build quality, nice big buttons, ergonomics, fast startup time, big display so I can read the entire track, etc. These may or may not be considerations for you. But then, I am almost 3x your age, maybe even older than your dad, and a few hundred euros is not a concern to me.
  • Yes, I will insert an SD card.
  • Yes and no, but it doesn't matter; I could use Bluetooth.
  • At least 12 hours a day.
  • I use the 7Hz Salnotes Zero:2.
Earlier this year I bought a Hiby R2 Gen II and it’s been largely disappointing. The sync doesn’t work, phone control doesn’t work and worst of all it plays album tracks in ALPHABETICAL order instead by their track number. It’s usable and maybe a future firmware update will fix this stuff if there’s been nothing so far.

Needless to say I’d steer you away anything Hiby.
thx! i will avoid Hiby
I had the V60 as a DAP and loved it with the dual screens. My issue was that I was and I am paying for tidal mqa so I bought a V50 and all is good. Got mine on eBay for $105. The battery routinely lasts over 35 hours of listening to my tunes on an SD card and streaming on the tidal app. I did the small DAP deal with a Hiby and the features and battery life just don't compare.
will consider to get V50, thx buddy
What's wrong? The "sound quality" should be better than human hearing, on almost any device.

If it doesn't have enough output-power for your headphones/IEMs (or for your taste), something else might go louder. More sensitive headphones/IEMs will also be louder.

Different headphones/IEMs/speakers will ALWAYS sound different (better or worse). Note that with headphones/IEMs there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality. (With speakers you can get better, or bigger, or higher-power speakers for more money.)

The advantage to a phone or tablet (or computer) is that you have a choice of player applications. Again, that shouldn't affect "sound quality", except that they may have different equalizers.
i use 7Hz Salnotes Zero 2 and Tanchjim Tanya,
I have the Hidizs. Measured by Archimago (https://archimago.blogspot.com/2023/06/review-hidizs-ap80-pro-x-music-player.html?)
It's a good device for wired use (bluetooth with it is horribly unreliable for me) and I wish the volume knob was bigger/easier to reach. The sound quality is great as measurements show but you should definitely just stick to your smartphone and a dongle.
thx!

OP
baronearikov

baronearikov

Keith W has the right suggestion, what is important to you. Are you using FLAC, are you streaming and if so are you using something like Tidal or Spotify. No wrong answer but you need to first fit your needs. The idea of the V60 works as it allows to add on additional USB dac/amps. The phone would then be a transport and the dac/amp will allow you to add features and can update as needed. The choice is yours to find what best fits what you want and can afford. A DAP is a great thing but then you are locked into the hardware/software of that DAP. I use both methods and find myself lately just using the phone with an assortment of DAC/Amps
I kind of use both. If the song doesn't exist on Spotify or any other streaming service, I usually download it from the internet.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do I really need MQA?
No! MQA has always been "suspect", especially here on Audio Science Review. And it alters the data/sound, which is pretty-much an no-on when it comes to accuracy and "high fidelity". (Although it's OK to use EQ other DSP to compensate/correct your speakers/room or to alter the sound to your taste.)

It's probably going-away. The original company went into "administration" (a kind of bankruptcy) and the rights to MQA were sold.

OP
baronearikov

baronearikov

No! MQA has always been "suspect", especially here on Audio Science Review. And it alters the data/sound, which is pretty-much an no-on when it comes to accuracy and "high fidelity". (Although it's OK to use EQ other DSP to compensate/correct your speakers/room or to alter the sound to your taste.)

It's probably going-away. The original company went into "administration" (a kind of bankruptcy) and the rights to MQA were sold.
I'm very unfamiliar with those terms, so in the end, should I just get the G7? What about the Hiby M300 and Shanling M1s
Had good vibes with the audio out of the S10, better vibes if plugged a Fiio KA1 into it.
Welcome! ;)
noted

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

1. Shanling M0 Pro
  2. HiBy R3 II
  3. HiBy M300
  4. Shanling M1s
  5. Hidizs AP80 Pro-X
  6. LG G7
thx
Hi and welcome to ASR.
Have you considered a dongle and IEMs instead?
If I were in your place I would spend 25 euros on a 7Hz Salnotes Zero:2, another ~35 euros on a goodish USB dongle (link), and spend the rest with Tidal or Qobuz lossless subscription. And save $ to buy a newer phone later and reuse the same audio gear.

Jimi Mack

1. Shanling M0 Pro
  2. HiBy R3 II
  3. HiBy M300
  4. Shanling M1s
  5. Hidizs AP80 Pro-X
  6. LG G7
thx
Being it seems you are not sure, the first thing I would say is make a small investment on s simple dongle dac to use on your S10 just to find what sound you are really looking for, and add as you need. If available to you something as simple as the Ifi Go Link will greatly improve just what are dealing with directly from the S10. Also open your mind to other options, sometimes the simplest will do. I am no purist, I will use EQ if needed for small adjustments. Being you are new to the hobby be careful and think about each step and what you are looking for. I can not tell you how many times I bought what I wanted and not really what I needed. Now I have 3DAP's, over 50 IEM's, 22 Headphones, 15 DAC/Amps etc.... and I really now only use maybe 5 items normally from my collection. And one set Up I will use is an ole S10e with a dac/amp with a 4.4 option which can sound almost as good as my DAPs.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I'm very unfamiliar with those terms, so in the end, should I just get the G7? What about the Hiby M300 and Shanling M1s

noted
Battery life on the G7 bites. Get the V60. It's awesome, lasting a full 2x as long as my Pixels.

OP
baronearikov

baronearikov

Battery life on the G7 bites. Get the V60. It's awesome, lasting a full 2x as long as my Pixels.

According to DS_Construct, the V50 is deemed better than the V60. Any thoughts on that?

DS_Construct

According to DS_Construct, the V50 is deemed better than the V60. Any thoughts on that?
The V50 was better for me. Because I have the tidal max subscription that includes mqa. If you don't need mqa, the V60 is tops. It's battery is bigger and for $70 you can throw a Tempotec BHD Pro on it and have the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom