• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Port blocking ramifications

jhb74

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I found this to be one of those difficult to Google for things, since all topics seem to revolve around the bass extension when you block speaker ports. I have a new set of Revel bookshelves and I just got into REW and find it fascinating to have the ability to move a speaker 3 inches and "see" what happened.

My question: What ELSE is happening when you block a ported speaker? I feel like a sealed speaker is a bit more protected when playing super loud with lots of power because logic would dictate that the air pressure in the cabinet is "pushing back" against over extension. Maybe I'm way off base though.

And if this is correct, I wonder if the bung (being open celled foam) would even offer a true "sealed" speaker or if it simply is blocking the port from producing sound.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I've had the exact same question a few years ago:

Top Bottom