• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But that's not what they asked, so you, like many people, don't understand the question
The OP wants to get an understanding of how the membership splits across the globe. I doubt he cares how I or anyone else interprets the concept of "from".

And people love to elaborate on single answer polls. Perhaps calm down?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
:D:D:D:D

English is a European language, it’s the language of England!
there's rumors making rounds that we could be turning back to latin for official matters

maybe it's time you guys started rebuilding Hadrian's wall?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After 60 years of living and working in Chicago, I retired and moved to Central Florida, about 20 miles southwest of Orlando.
Don't know WTF I waited so long for, I could have gotten a job here at any time.
After 11 years here, there's not enough money in the world that could get me to move back to the colder northern climates.
Year round temps are just about perfect for me here though most years I find them a little too cold Dec - Feb
My wife & I met in Saipan
AverageJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
High83°F83°F84°F85°F86°F87°F86°F86°F86°F86°F85°F84°F
Temp.79°F78°F79°F81°F82°F82°F82°F81°F81°F81°F81°F80°F
Low76°F75°F76°F77°F78°F79°F78°F78°F78°F78°F78°F77°F
We are looking into the Orlando area but are afraid that we will be cold.
Currently we live on James Island, SC. (And are cold).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I encourage you to read not just the thread title but also poll question.
I was concieved in Charleston, SC USA but born in Salzburg, Austria (came back to Charleston when I was 2-3 months old: raised in both places. I only have USA Citizenship. But it may be convoluted as to where a person believes that they are from. Perhaps more than one place?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there's rumors making rounds that we could be turning back to latin for official matters

maybe it's time you guys started rebuilding Hadrian's wall?
That wall was to stop the Romans. Scotts invited us in.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was concieved in Charleston, SC USA but born in Salzburg, Austria (came back to Charleston when I was 2-3 months old: raised in both places. I only have USA Citizenship. But it may be convoluted as to where a person believes that they are from. Perhaps more than one place?
My point exactly. "What country/ continent/ specific geography were you born in?" is a question capable of having only one answer. "Where are you from?" depends entirely on context and the intention of the person posing the question. And as I said earlier, I doubt the OP cares about how one interpreted it, more how the ASR membership is distributed. So whether I answer based on where I was born or where I reside really doesnt matter.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That wall was to stop the Romans. Scotts invited us in.
Considering Hadrian was Roman and ordered its construction, I doubt that was the intention.

And if Scottish Heritage try and tell you different, dont believe them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I have come by ship or by plane (before the CHUNNEL), I thought England was an Island Nation.
England is a country on an island called Great Britain.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I have come by ship or by plane (before the CHUNNEL), I thought England was an Island Nation.

In the minds of some it is. Geography thwarts them every time.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

Interestingly, I have just been digging round the actual EU website and they seem to go to great lengths not to categorise it in either way.
political implies that each country or state no longer has sovereignty. In reality the EU is more economical because no country is 'forced' to do anything (outside of certain trade deals and some main conditions of entry), they are only forced to come up with their own versions of laws and legislations that adhere to EU guidelines.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
political implies that each country or state no longer has sovereignty. In reality the EU is more economical because no country is 'forced' to do anything (outside of certain trade deals and some main conditions of entry), they are only forced to come up with their own versions of laws and legislations that adhere to EU guidelines.

Im not sure how well that argument would go down with the politicians that sit in the EU Parliament.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I see now that it's two questions which makes responding to the poll impossible for anyone that's moved to another
It amazes me how many people don't understand a simple question like, "where are you from"? You can only be from one place, the place you were born, yet many people provide long-winded convoluted answers. The question isn't asking where you live or where you have lived, it's simply asking your place of origin or starting point so i'll sometimes say, "my mom"
You really need to read Post #1 twice...:rolleyes:

Surprised me too.
I imagine many use the google translation app.
Seriously, @Sal1950 ?!...:facepalm: Are you surprised that we've got internet access too?

The poll results are really surprising because I would have figured at least 80% of respondents are from/located in North America
Ever heard about UK? Or anything related to the fact that English is somewhat the international language?

Last edited:

Creeko

View attachment 38982

ASR just reached the impressive amount of 7000 members. (Again, congratulations for your work, @amirm!:))

I guess, when the forum started 3 years ago, that there were mostly US members (correct me if I'm wrong). Now, the forum has got an international reputation in the audio world.

For now, I'm just curious to know a bit about the cartography of where the members are from (or actually located, for what matters). Some people tends to move a lot, so I let two possible choices. Of course, there is too many possible countries to list, that's why I simplified this poll to the choice of continents.

PS: For my part: Paris area, France, EU.
Berlin, Germany

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
England is a country on an island called Great Britain.
I did not mean to imply that England is the only nation on that island (the island called Great Britain). Only that it was an island nation (a nation on an island). In addition to that, there are other islands in the vicinity, all together composed of the nations of: England, Scotland, Ireland/Northern Ireland (not sure of the status here so named both) & Wales. I hope that I didn't leave any out, it's been more than 35 years since I have passed through the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom